2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Please watch the video, and take this poll
Video is fine -- I have no problems with GM's involvement
54.86%
Video is fine -- why is GM involved?
4.00%
I have no opinion either way
7.43%
Video is Appalling -- but I'm fine with GM's involvement
16.00%
Video is appalling -- what was GM thinking?
17.71%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

New Rap Video with Camaro Concept - OPINION POLL

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 PM

Turned down the sound as Metallica was on the radio (Mandatory Metallica on 101.1 in Detriot). Doesn't sound like I missed much.

While rap isn't my thing, I think its a good thing for GM to do. I'd guess there's a fair number of TI's fans who will never see this site and aren't very 'plugged-in' to the auto scene like we are here.

25, auto mechanic
Old 12-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Admin Emeritus

We briefly touched on this in CamaroZ28.Com Podcast #67. We had a little bit of fun with it.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490430

You can download it as an MP3, stream it from your web browser, play it through iTunes and even listen to it on the phone!
Old 12-15-2006, 10:38 AM

Wow, why does it seem like the camaro community looks at the Concept as like a sacred figure?? I know the concept debut was a huge deal and important to tons of people, but the concept is still just a car/marketing tool. It seems people are looking at it in the video in the same light as their preacher or religious figure was in the video...talking about B's..and swearing. For the record, I dont swear and to this day 1 of my parents would knock me in the head if anyone told them I used a curse word.

90% or more people who see the video will not hear any cursing at all, they'll see it on MTV or BET or something like that, see famous rappers talking about how much they love CHEVY...and see them sporting a great looking 5th gen camaro in place of what would normally be a ferrari or bentley.
If you dont like the music, thats 1 thing, but to put GM down because they allowed a car to be used in a mainstream video is ludacris.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:54 AM

I think the video was a great idea. I know it sounds redundant, but the video just markets the car to a younger audience who otherwise might not see or even hear about it.

To those who think the rap scene hurts the Camaro's image, the commercialized rap scene has been all about Cadillacs for quite some time now, and I don't think its hurt Cadillac's image one bit. If anything its helped create more sales.

22 years old...
Old 12-15-2006, 12:47 PM

age 19

I'm not a big fan of rap, I think monte carlos and impalas ect. on big 22 and 24's with hydraulics looks dumb as hell. I think the whole thing is a waste of time and money. What in the hel was GM thinking?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by landstuhltaylor
18 and i dont consider rap "music"
Originally Posted by Fbodfather
I agree!!!
I agree also...that's why they are called "rap artists" instead of musicians.

21 at the end of the month -- no problems with the video (besides not being a fan of rap and not being able to hear any of the cars). As mentioned before, a good way to reach new crowds. It's also strange how some of us see the Camaro so out of place just because of the stereotypes of blacks and rap music. The only rules governing what looks right/wrong is based on what we're used to seeing, and because this is out of the norm doesn't mean it can't be normal.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by nate_88
age 19

I'm not a big fan of rap, I think monte carlos and impalas ect. on big 22 and 24's with hydraulics looks dumb as hell. I think the whole thing is a waste of time and money. What in the hel was GM thinking?
Probably didn't cost GM too much time....and it's not a commercial -- GM didn't pay them to make the video.........they paid GM to make it I would assume, which works out in GMs favor as a form of advertising. Are we going to think anything less of the Camaro? -No. The only people that will see the video are fans of GM wanting to see what's going on, or fans of rap. If you like rap, and know nothing about the Camaro this may turn heads (hey - and also, the rap artists have drawn in a whole new crowd of GM/Camaro fans to at least look at their video - you know SOMEONE is likely to track future videos and look for GM roles, and maybe...JUST MAYBE learn to love rap)....the opposite extreme (and unlikely case) is someone that doesn't like rap and has little or no interest/knowledge in the Camaro watches the entire video, and then hates the Camaro for being associated with "music" they don't like -- but who's going to watch the video then anyway if you aren't interested in rap or seeing the Camaro in it?

I can KINDA make sense of it in my head....
Old 12-17-2006, 09:01 AM

age 19
automotive technition

not a fan of rap at all, but if it give more exposer then fine...just hope to god they dont stick 30 inch rims on it
Old 12-20-2006, 01:12 PM

Its marketing..simple. The Escalade is an icon, and its been in a lot of rap videos. There is a connection there.

22/USAF avionics
Old 12-24-2006, 11:52 AM

Age 20, love it!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:02 PM

Age 20 love it too! Everyone that dont seem to just dont like the genre of music. They show off a lot but who doesnt, if u have a fast car dont you try to race people, isnt that away of showing off, so why do people hate it so much because its rap? And i do call it music because it is some type of talent if only certain people can do it. I am not saying i like every part of rap and the life style but it wasnt that bad. People hate it because they see it and dont understand what is going on, My parents wouldnt understand it either, its called not being hip.... any ways. If you were rich would u not have extra not needed expenses? Besides it being in that industry is a compition thats why everyone uses those types of lyrics, this is just my opinion.

Also rappers put money into cars to show they have money, they also know a bit more about types of cars due to that too, just like chevys are so popular in rap songs. Therefore having a concept camaro is showing u have the money and the power. I dont think it will be in any other videos until it is released, and TI is a popular artist thats why he has money and could get the car in his video. I dont think it was his idea to market it more to show he has the money to get a concept in his video.

Last edited by pitbull14218; 12-27-2006 at 11:07 PM. Reason: i dunno :)
Old 12-28-2006, 01:19 AM

either way, like rap music or not its still good exposure for that car i think
im in my mid teens (16 going on 17)

Last edited by LS1Kid717; 12-28-2006 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:26 AM

I think it sends the wrong message to the general public. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if only production cars were used since GM would have no control over that, but since the Camaro concept was used, GM must have been involved. With explicit lyrics like the ones in the song, GM should have thought better. It's great that they're trying to appeal to a younger demographic, but this video and song should have been screened before.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
Turned down the sound as Metallica was on the radio (Mandatory Metallica on 101.1 in Detriot).
Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 PM

18, soon to be 19...I find it to be stupid, idiotic and extremely irritating...If it sells cars that's great but I really don't like it and it surely doesn't make buying a new Camaro that appealing to me.

Quick Reply: New Rap Video with Camaro Concept - OPINION POLL