2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Chevy Camaro Convertible Concept rolls into Detroit early

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:40 PM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Chevy Camaro Convertible Concept rolls into Detroit early

Filed under: Concept Cars, Detroit Auto Show, Convertibles, Chevrolet

click on above image to check out a high-resolution gallery with 24 pics

We'll save you the story on how this particular embargo was broken, but we have confirmation from GM that they won't hold it against us if we post this information and the accompanying high-resolution gallery, especially considering the car is already on the cover of this month's issue of Winding Road (albeit badly photoshopped into a strange pinkish hue) and Automotive News just let 'er rip, as well.

That said, the Camaro Convertible Concept you see here will officially be unveiled Saturday night at a star-studded occassion called the GM Style Event where the automaker's product will share a runway with A-, B- and C-list celebs. The Camaro drop-top will be wearing this lovely Hugger Orange pearl tri-coat paint job to the show and sport a pair of dark gray racing stripes as striking accessories. No doubt when the convertible arrives in dealerships shortly after the debut of the coupe there will be more colors available in its closet.

GM says the car will have a V8, four-wheel disc brakes, a proper standard trannsmission, and a four-wheel independant suspension. Those wheels appear to be well over the 20-inch diameter mark, so you can likely expect smaller rims when the car goes on sale officially in a couple of years. Nearly everything else is identical to the coupe version of the concept including the interior, and GM unfortunately didn't release any pics with the top so we can't judge the new silhouette, but you can check out our full gallery of 24 high-resolution images by clicking here and tell us what you think in the comments.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
BOLD MOVES: THE FUTURE OF FORD A new documentary series. Be part of the transformation as it happens in real-time

More...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Thing looks so good.

Now I got a question
the speedo is a 175 speedo
Its in HUGE increments, I hope they fix that a little, otherwise ill be picked up for speeding because the 50 to 75 mph gap is massive so ill be guessing how fast im going. Im sure they will change this around.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:47 PM

That thing is gorgeous , it looks as good as vert . Killer color selection too , the hugger orange/black stripes and white 2-tone interior will look amazing under the lights at the auto show .
Old 01-04-2007, 01:54 PM

Bad picture?

Check.

No background?

Check.

No people in the background?

Check.

Finally, an real (not photochopped) Camaro convertible picture.

Is there anyone here that remotely doubts you're seeing the 5th gen SS?

BTW: anyone notice what looks like "Redline" tires?

Last edited by guionM; 01-04-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:01 PM

Nice... Very nice...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:05 PM

Me likey! I like the subtle body colored pinstripe on the wheels.

When did it become a fad to completely hide everything under the hood under plastic and simulated aluminum? (not picking on the Camaro, just modern cars in general)
Old 01-04-2007, 02:06 PM

The only way I want a convertible is a retractable hard top. Weight shouldn't be an issue, add more power to make up for it.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 PM

The Redline tires are a sweet touch to the overall color combo . I really hope GM offers lots of color and SS stripe options , as well as interior colors . With this body style the possibilities are endless , as both modern and throwback themes seem to work equally as good .
Old 01-04-2007, 02:09 PM

Much improved! The blinding hugger orange gone from the interior with throw back white center gauges much better. The soft grey is perfect! The stripes look great. Something about it captures the 69 spirit better. I cant tell if its thinner or if its just the stripes or the pictures or what. These images are light years better than normal images that come out of GM. That spoiler looks good too. This is the best 5th gen so far I think.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:10 PM

I'm digging it! But I don't like the non-body color front windshield frame! It would look much better body color. Scott, please take care of this.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:44 PM

Hugger Orange with black stripes!?!

I'm freaking in love!
(Did I mention my first Camaro was hugger orange?)
Old 01-04-2007, 02:46 PM

i love it. Im probably going to go the convertible route when i do get one of these. I also really like the new wheel design, not sure on how i feel on the body color stripe though. that said i was kinda hoping for something closer to production. the interior, save for colors is almost exactly the same. same with the rest of the body. its still on 22's in back if u hadnt noticed. also, one last critical thing: PLEASE make the wipers less obvious. they stick out like a sore thumb.

i did notice a couple changes in the engine bay: now it has red ignition wires and there is one little rectangle thing missing on top of the air box. dont know what that was originally but its not there anymore.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM

I like the aluminum colored frame around the windsheild. It's reminiscent of higher end cars like the Audi S4 Cab. They could also complete the look w/ aluminum mirrors for a z28/ss model to match the gas cap.

Now, if they'd just get on the bus and offer optional Nav, heated seats, and SD card slots for music, then I'd be genuinely wow'ed.

Anyone else think we're going to see another rendition of the Delco/Monsoon "brick" in the center of the dash--complete with a blue LCD, 2-***** and borrowed from GM trucks?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Hugger Orange with black stripes!?!
Ready for this? They are not black...they are a dark gunmetal.

Heard it here first...
Old 01-04-2007, 02:55 PM

Iam sorry, but that has to be the worst interior i've ever seen. Period. Other than that, the car looks great!

Quick Reply: NEWS: Chevy Camaro Convertible Concept rolls into Detroit early