2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: GM goes extra mile to live up to Camaro concept

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Grand Royal
Don't 20" wheels seem a little big? I'm not an expert on the subject, but I had a feeling something like 17"-19" inch wheels would look better and keep the car lower to the ground.

I don't know, help me out here...
I'm sure they will add alot more weight which really has me pondering what this puppy is going to weigh in at overall.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:13 PM

I just hope this change won't make the car that much more expensive.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:00 PM

I don't know of any cars that GM is currently putting 20" wheels on and wouldn't expect them to start with the Camaro (base model anyway at least). I would think 20's on a car would cause more problems (bent wheels, suspension setups, price) than what most manufacturers would want to deal with.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:13 PM

Just so long as I don't have to change the tires on those wheels.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dreamin'f-body
I don't know of any cars that GM is currently putting 20" wheels on and wouldn't expect them to start with the Camaro (base model anyway at least). I would think 20's on a car would cause more problems (bent wheels, suspension setups, price) than what most manufacturers would want to deal with.
The SRT-8 Mopars come with 20s from the factory. I can totally see them offering 20s on the V8 Camaros, at least as an option.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
Just so long as I don't have to change the tires on those wheels.
Shouldn't be much different from most cars, but taking into consideration these tires will be low profile and have a much larger footprint, they'll wear out quick.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:22 AM

The SRT-8 Mopars come with 20s from the factory. I can totally see them offering 20s on the V8 Camaros, at least as an option.
Yes, but where do we draw the line??
20's..?
22's ..?
24's..?
26's..?
"semi"..
At some point it gets rediculous...and expensive. Nothing like taking out a loan to buy tires...
Ahhhh....who needs floor jacks anyways???

Shouldn't be much different from most cars, but taking into consideration these tires will be low profile and have a much larger footprint, they'll wear out quick..
One word...Heavy!...how much weight are we talkin'....?

Last edited by 90rocz; 01-13-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:49 AM

Location: Bavaria, between Germany and Austria (Sorry if i misspell something)
Originally Posted by Deutsch
Shouldn't be much different from most cars, but taking into consideration these tires will be low profile and have a much larger footprint, they'll wear out quick.
The Price is only high as long they are prouced in low numbers. Plus the raw material is less than on the smaler rims. Why do you think will they wear out to quick?
Old 01-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
Yes, but where do we draw the line??
At some point it gets rediculous...and expensive.)

One word...Heavy!...how much weight are we talkin'....?
The same could be said about hp. 400? 500? 600? Where's the line? No one should be using that much on the street anyway, but it sure is fun to have!

As far as weight is concerned, some forged 20's (like the SRT wheels) can weigh the same, if not less than some cast 18's. It just means it is more expensive, and for upper models only. But heck, a grand or so won't hurt lease payments much (which is what most people do), but could make a big impact on the overall appearance of the vehicle.

The Mustang looks great on 20s (with proper rubber and suspension), so I don't see it a problem for them being an option on the Camaro--especially with its more modern take on things. And, let's face it big wheels = better to the mass public (the target). No way getting around that.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rampant
The same could be said about hp. 400? 500? 600? Where's the line? No one should be using that much on the street anyway, but it sure is fun to have!

As far as weight is concerned, some forged 20's (like the SRT wheels) can weigh the same, if not less than some cast 18's. It just means it is more expensive, and for upper models only. But heck, a grand or so won't hurt lease payments much (which is what most people do), but could make a big impact on the overall appearance of the vehicle.

The Mustang looks great on 20s (with proper rubber and suspension), so I don't see it a problem for them being an option on the Camaro--especially with its more modern take on things. And, let's face it big wheels = better to the mass public (the target). No way getting around that.
If you keep increasing wheel size there will ultimately be a point where it becomes a performance disadvantage, which would take a way from a main focus of the Camaro. There aren't many supercars rolling on 20's or much larger for a reason. Horsepower is more of an economy/driveability issue.

GM can and probably will leave 20s to the aftermarket. Even if some customers do want them as an option I doubt GM would want to pay up on the warranties for your everday driver who hits a curb/pothole and needs their wheel(s) replaced.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:58 PM

God no.
18/19s on the vette. Do you really think GM would put bigger wheels on the camaro than the vette? 16s would be fine with me for base. Throw 17s on the V8s if you must. Also remember that the camaro, unlike the vette, is almost certainly not going to run staggered sizes, nor directional tires, both of which the vette does.
Bigger wheels DO hurt the ride, and the performance. Stop thinking GM is going to put forged wheels on the 'maro. The camaro is CHEAP performance. GM is not going to spend money on something that people *generally* dont care about.

You want 22s, put it the on an escalade, not a Camaro.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 AM

Not the same...while a show car looks good with 20" wheels, and 1/2" of rubber, it reaches a point where performance and the ride both suffer, not to mention bent rims...
If you like the ride of a covered wagon and the turning radius of an 18-wheeler, then throw on some 22's.

I would like to see enough rubber to hook up and not too much to hurt cornering...not sure what that is on the 5th gen, but 18's seem to be this limit on 3rd gens.

The wheels and tires on the Chevy's Medium Duty display truck at NAIAS were smaller than the Camaro's..

I'd like a little lower, meaner, maybe 18's, a couple of inches wider out back, or a slightly larger aspect raio for more rubber for traction. Or 18's/19's front/rear...
Directionals have been available since the IROC's, I believe, and should definitely be on the menu as far as I'm concerned. I loved the Goodyear GSC's for my IROC, excellent traction wet or dry!..
Old 01-15-2007, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ilkhan
Stop thinking GM is going to put forged wheels on the 'maro. The camaro is CHEAP performance. GM is not going to spend money on something that people *generally* dont care about.

You want 22s, put it the on an escalade, not a Camaro.
The supercharged cobalt comes with 18's and i THINK they are forged alluminum, and despite being costly to replace, they don't really affect the price.

With todays wheel and tire technology, you'd be suprised how little an 18"-20" tire would have on a 425+hp Camaro's price and performance.

I mean, if my little 2.0 liter FWD car can turn-over 18's completely stock with absolutely no negative affect on performance, then a 20 inch rim is not going to affect a 5th gen in any significant way.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by LandonElf
I mean, if my little 2.0 liter FWD car can turn-over 18's completely stock with absolutely no negative affect on performance, then a 20 inch rim is not going to affect a 5th gen in any significant way.
You know how they got the C5 down to 32xx pounds? By finding many ways to save an ounce or two.
"in any significant way" or enough for me to want it to be an *option*. That way, mine will be faster than yours.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by ilkhan
You know how they got the C5 down to 32xx pounds? By finding many ways to save an ounce or two.
"in any significant way" or enough for me to want it to be an *option*. That way, mine will be faster than yours.
I understand that more rotating mass= less horsepower to the pavement but i don't think a vette is good support for your point.

Consider this, the C6 vette, which not only out performs, but outhandles the C5, has 19" rims on the back!

If the the extra inch or two really compromised any significant aspect of performance, then do you really think the vette engineers would of allowed it?

Remember now, that a 20 inch forged alluminum wheel with low profile tires doesn't weigh much more than a 17" pure chrome wheel with normal tires.

Big wheels attract sales, and the diehard enthusiast who wants the extra 1 horsepower back from the extra inch of wheel can just buy new ones!!!

Quick Reply: NEWS: GM goes extra mile to live up to Camaro concept