2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Now it is our turn to drive the Camaro Concept!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:25 PM

Re: Now it is our turn to drive the Camaro Concept!

I'd like to know what kind of view you get in the driving position, specifically if you can see much of the hood or fenders out in front of you. W/ my 94Z I miss being able to see the hood ala my thirdgens and I've always loved the curvaceous (sp?) hoods that stretch out in front of your while driving Vettes and such.

Think you could snap a pic from regular driving position/eye level that would convey what the driver will be seeing and how good the visibility and such is out the front of the car?

That's downright awesome that you guys get a preview of the car, I take it that is Mr Settlemire's doing? That's really cool.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by jsetzer
I am assuming it will be an auto, but if its a stick tell us about everything. Clutch, stick, etc.
yeah.. the concept car they will be driving is stick
Old 06-14-2006, 09:52 PM

This will probably all be different in a production version, but I'll throw it out there anyway:

How do the materials inside the car look and feel? Cheap plastic (ala 4th gen), or something more fitting a $30k-plus car (ex. Volvo-grade)?

Along the same lines, how well is it put together? Does it feel solidly built, or are there lots of creaks and rattles, gaps between interior panels, squeaky hinges, etc? I know that it is difficult to hand-build a one-off concept car with perfect panel fitments and such, but it would be nice to hear about anyway.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:08 PM

Not sure if anybody has said this already, but, please take a look in the engine bay. How does normal maintenance look, like spark plug access, etc.

Enjoy the drive!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 PM

Yeah, and enthuseists' impression...
head room, seat belt fit, seating position, pedal locations, shifter feel(grip and gates) visibility, comfort for a guy say 6'2" large frame , ease of operation, placement of interior components...you know..
And how are those 55 headlight bezels, for function?
Have fun!
Old 06-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Disciple

Oh you lucky bastages!!!!

Jason, gimme a call on my cell when you're behind the wheel. ROFL!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 3_z28camaro
Not sure if anybody has said this already, but, please take a look in the engine bay. How does normal maintenance look, like spark plug access, etc.

Enjoy the drive!
I second that...
Old 06-17-2006, 11:05 AM

Well, it sounds like all the important issues have been covered, so I just have 1 question:

Is it fast enough to get away from the GM testing grounds without anyone noticing, and get it up here to Oshawa so I can have a test drive???

Ok, seriously (back to reality) what's the exhaust note like, at idle and giving it a little rev? The car does have true dual exhaust, doesn't it?

Well, have fun, you lucky b@$t@rd$!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:47 PM

I would mess with the interior peices and see if you hear vibration, sqeeks, but i realized it's a concept car. I would see how much leg room the back seats have compared to 4th gens. I dont think i've seen any pics of the gauges at night time; that would be cool. And one last thing, where is the cupholder?
Old 06-17-2006, 01:45 PM

Suspension: (1) Does it ride like a GTO?
(2) Does the ride quality carry over from the 4th gen with the "riding on rails, but one with the road" feel?

I've been kind've worried about the fact that now that the Camaro is somewhat sharing the Vette's limelight by having IRS, that they might "water it down" slightly to still give the Vette an edge in this department and end up with a car that feels more like it's driving on a rubber road rather than an asphalt one.

Steering Response: (1) Heavy or light? (Does it feel like you could steer with one index finger on the wheel, or does it have a "wants to come back to center on it's own and lead straight" kinda feel?
(2) When you turn the wheel, does it feel like the steering shaft is suspended inside a solid metal bearing, or more like a polyurethane bearing?

Handling: if at all possible, see if you can break the tires loose in a turn. Take note of how the car "pivots." Does the car feel more like it's pivoting on an axis that's attached to the front bumper, or as if the axis was closer to the center of the roof?

Do a "perimeter test." Have Frezza stand approximately 10 feet in front of the car, and let it amble forward until you think you've gotten as close to being within 1 foot from him. If you're up to it do it in reverse as well. This is to guage how well the driver can orient himself to the overall dimensions of the car in relation to the cockpit. Take note of how well you feel that you're able to trust your perception of how close or far away from things that you are.

One last thing: try not to kill eachother over who gets to drive first.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Do a "perimeter test." Have Frezza stand approximately 10 feet in front of the car, and let it amble forward until you think you've gotten as close to being within 1 foot from him. If you're up to it do it in reverse as well. This is to guage how well the driver can orient himself to the overall dimensions of the car in relation to the cockpit. Take note of how well you feel that you're able to trust your perception of how close or far away from things that you are.
sounds like a hard one to explain to the insurance company. "I thought I had another foot!"
Old 06-17-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
sounds like a hard one to explain to the insurance company. "I thought I had another foot!"

Haha, not sure which insurance company you're referring to. Would that be Chris Frezza's medical insurance or GM's auto insurance?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Whoaa whoaa whoaa - nobody is running me over heh
Old 06-17-2006, 07:56 PM

How's body roll?

How's brake power?

Does the car nose dive during hard breaking?

I'm also interested in mirror placement.

Any noticeable squeaks/rattles.

Find some rough part on the track to see how much you'll be feeling on the inside.

Road noise (how would conversation be inside the car) Koenigsegg ring a bell?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:59 PM

how much can you see/how functional are the side mirrors?

oh, and the parking brake location, once more so you don't forget

Quick Reply: Now it is our turn to drive the Camaro Concept!