2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Possibility of no dealer markups??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Possibility of no dealer markups??

I was just thinking. Lately dealers have been crazy with the markups on wanted/low volume cars. They did it to the first round of GTO's and then they were giving them away at below invoice because they couldnt even sell the 12K units.

But with 100K units coming off the assembly line, there will definatly be no shortages and as I see, no need for people to pay any markups. With 100K units I see prices below window sticker, maybe not the first month but with so many units flying off the line, there will be lots of used models within a few months selling for thousands below sticker so no one in their right mind would pay markups.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:46 PM

Re: Possibility of no dealer markups??

Not gonna happen, there will be people willing to pay markups, so the dealers will use them.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
Not gonna happen, there will be people willing to pay markups, so the dealers will use them.
yup, look at the recent launch of the Mustang
Old 05-23-2006, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by I8COBRA
With 100K units I see prices below window sticker, maybe not the first month but with so many units flying off the line, there will be lots of used models within a few months selling for thousands below sticker so no one in their right mind would pay markups.
just not realistic...
Old 05-23-2006, 08:13 PM

Within months of any car being released, I don't think I have ever seen a same year used car for any less, much less thousands less.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:13 PM

The C6Z is holding up really well, but thats a different story. Monster car and only 2-3K units built the first year. But even so, I've been watching them sell and theyve already fallen in price since you can order a '07 for the same price.

I guess time will tell. 100K units does crazy things to a cars value.

Someone mentioned the Mustang, check out what Mustangs with only a few thousand miles are selling for. It doesnt matter what the dealers are starting their price at, it matters what theyre letting them go for. I really doubt people are paying thousands over sticker for new when they can get one for thousands under sticker with 1-2K miles on it.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:18 PM

A lot of people enjoy that "new" part of buying a car. I wouldn't know, never had a new one, but I know I would prefer it.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

while we do not condone mark-ups (and we can't do anything about it 'cause that's anti-trust/price fixing --and the govt. is very clear on that.....) it's simply a matter of "Supply versus Demand"

When demand exceeds supply, the price goes up. When supply exceeds demand, call out the rebates!
Old 05-23-2006, 10:46 PM

Annnnnnd GMS becomes available!!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
while we do not condone mark-ups (and we can't do anything about it 'cause that's anti-trust/price fixing --and the govt. is very clear on that.....) it's simply a matter of "Supply versus Demand"

When demand exceeds supply, the price goes up. When supply exceeds demand, call out the rebates!
Yes...but...I know that after I saw the GTO markups, 6-months later I was still in the mindset, "oh those are those over priced 40k, 45k sedans."
Psychologically I was conditioned, and since I first saw the car as selling for 40k+ I automatically put it into that category [in my mind] of cars in that range.
With that said, I think it would be appropriate to add a ", but with delay it could be fatal for future demand" to your statement.

Last edited by number77; 05-24-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by I8COBRA
I was just thinking. Lately dealers have been crazy with the markups on wanted/low volume cars. They did it to the first round of GTO's and then they were giving them away at below invoice because they couldnt even sell the 12K units.

But with 100K units coming off the assembly line, there will definatly be no shortages and as I see, no need for people to pay any markups. With 100K units I see prices below window sticker, maybe not the first month but with so many units flying off the line, there will be lots of used models within a few months selling for thousands below sticker so no one in their right mind would pay markups.
LOL! The 05 Mustang GT's both coupe and convertibles were marked up big time for awhile. Why would you think the Camaro would be any different?
Old 05-24-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

Really? I just read that GM has told Saturn dealers to not markup up the Saturn Sky Redline.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115473

Last edited by NikiVee; 05-24-2006 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Bert02SS

Originally Posted by NikiVee
Really? I just read that GM has told Saturn dealers to not markup up the Saturn Sky Redline.
Over last weekend I drove a Saturn Sky that had a $4,000 markup. Not only that, but the thing is gutless, and has no trunk space. The turbo will help when it comes out.

Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Disciple

I'm sure there will be dealer markups. Sad but true.

Now's a good time to make friends with the sales manager at your local Chevy dealer.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:40 PM

When I bought my Grand National (wipes drool of chin) brand new in 1987, make that October 1987, there was a $4500 mark up on it as what the dealers had was it. There weren't going to be any more. I refused to buy it with the mark up, I told them I would buy it for full msrp and not a penny more. I won. Damn I loved that car. (damn divorce)

Quick Reply: Possibility of no dealer markups??