2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Possible deal killer on the 09 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 09:58 PM

Possible deal killer on the 09 Camaro

I sure hope they get this thing to market before the emissions ***** try to get OBD III in. I guess it would have to start in California and work itself throught the court system... I am cautiously optomistic we will be ok.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 PM

Re: Possible deal killer on the 09 Camaro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ODB-II

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Future of On-Board Diagnostics

An OBD-III specification is in the regulatory development phase. Information on the content of this specification is limited. Some have speculated that OBD-III will include the capability for a vehicle to report emissions violations automatically using some sort of radio transmitter.
yeah that would suck hardcore, though someone would figure out how to delete those codes or something
Old 08-28-2006, 10:59 PM

ouch
Old 08-28-2006, 11:13 PM

Too many people rely on the 2 (or whatever number) year period between smog checks so that they don't have to spend money to get something fixed everytime it's a little below standards for this to be good.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
I sure hope they get this thing to market before the emissions ***** try to get OBD III in. I guess it would have to start in California and work itself throught the court system... I am cautiously optomistic we will be ok.
Much ado about nothing.

Doesn't change emissions requirements & most every state already requires bi annual emissions checks generally on cars 20 years old or newer. Plus, if it's required, Camaro's going to have it regardless as to when OBD 3 actually goes into effect (automakers like to be ahead of the requirement curve when they have advance warning).

Besides, new cars already record emissions violations in their computer under OBD 2. Every time the dealer plugs into the computer, they know everything about your engine, and how you've been treating the car..... right down to drivetrain stressing burnouts.

Aftermarket parts that adversely affects a cars emissions are illegal nationally, and have been for years. It's a federal crime to remove a functioning catalytic converter and toying with anything else that screws with emissions is going to throw off the computer, and then you have bigger problems than OBD 3.

You aren't going to do anything to void your warranty (why tampering and engine abuse is recorded in the onboard computer) & there's no point in dropping the converter (they have almost no role in restricting exhaust anymore) even if it was legal.

OBD 3 is a non issue (OBD 2 was a bigger issue because it stored emission issues into the computer and triggers a check engine light). You should instead be more concerned about those black boxes most all cars have now that records seatbelt use, speed, braking, pedal position, and other information just prior to an accident. IMO, that's a far bigger issue than getting all panicky over something minor like OBD 3.

Last edited by guionM; 08-29-2006 at 03:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
emissions checks
What are these "emissions checks" of which you speak?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:03 AM

wait with all the things we use to trick the computers in are cars now to make them think we are running cooler or the unit you plug into your o2 sensor to make it think its running properly you don’t think we cant trick od3 if we wanted? and who is to say people wont modify the computer so it doesn’t send out a signal.

by the way i agree with only using emissions friendly parts. but its more for the reason i dont want to be hassled with when i get my inspection.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:10 AM

The recording of the info isn't an issue as no one will look at it unless you give them a reason. The remote info is what i don't like. However it's not that hard to get "bad reception" .
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 AM

I don't see it being a deal killer anyway. If it is a federal requierment then every new car would have it, Mustang and Challenger included. Your only option then would be to buy an older OBD-2 car.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mighty
What are these "emissions checks" of which you speak?
Hehe yeah, Michigan does not have emissions testing. That went away sometime in the 80's (I believe).

It is also not technically illegal to remove your catalytic converter(s) IF you do the work yourself. It is illegal for a licensed repair shop to do it yes, but if I decide to gut it or remove it altogether in my driveway, nothing can stop me from doing so.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Hehe yeah, Michigan does not have emissions testing. That went away sometime in the 80's (I believe).

It is also not technically illegal to remove your catalytic converter(s) IF you do the work yourself. It is illegal for a licensed repair shop to do it yes, but if I decide to gut it or remove it altogether in my driveway, nothing can stop me from doing so.
I don't think that's accurate. 1990 Clean Air Act made it illegal to remove or render inoperable ANY emissions equipment, including the cat. Doesn't matter who does it.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:41 AM

I believe the cat law it written so that it cannot be tampered with at all unless it is damaged or has over 100k on it.

I really don’t see why people think its worth pumping out bad air for us to breath for maybe 5 hp. If anything just buy some free flow cats.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
I believe the cat law it written so that it cannot be tampered with at all unless it is damaged or has over 100k on it.

I really don’t see why people think its worth pumping out bad air for us to breath for maybe 5 hp. If anything just buy some free flow cats.
Because its one of many relatively inexpensive way to get a few ponies out of your car. Combined with many other, usually more costly, things that yield about the same gain, the overall package is worth some power.

A catalytic converter removed by itself on a bone stock car doesnt give much gain. But if you think 500+hp thru stock cats or Any cat is no big deal you guys need to get out of the office and under the hood more. Nitrous use especially will break one down quick.

Everybody says it doesnt make any difference but when a car just wont run because repetitive nitrous use has clogged the converters, you'll know.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by graham
Because its one of many relatively inexpensive way to get a few ponies out of your car. Combined with many other, usually more costly, things that yield about the same gain, the overall package is worth some power.

A catalytic converter removed by itself on a bone stock car doesnt give much gain. But if you think 500+hp thru stock cats or Any cat is no big deal you guys need to get out of the office and under the hood more. Nitrous use especially will break one down quick.

Everybody says it doesnt make any difference but when a car just wont run because repetitive nitrous use has clogged the converters, you'll know.
Well ok, I know that, it just irks me to see people with mainly stock cars removing them. For some reason I see a lot of Sn95 guys do this.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
FYI, high flow cats are also illegal on new cars. It's illegal to replace a functional catalytic converter until some high mileage number or unless it's damaged.

Damn fine thing my KN air filter oiled up my MAF and made my car eat my stock cats making it legal for me to replace them with aftermarket units since the stock warranty wouldn't have covered the damage anyway Strangely, no such symptoms have surfaced since

Quick Reply: Possible deal killer on the 09 Camaro