2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Post-announcement Q&A with Fbodfather...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:39 PM

Re: Post-announcement Q&A with Fbodfather...

Originally Posted by Plague
Something about spilling coffee in one's lap rings a bell...

Well then they should put warning labels on the bracing that reads "If removed you will die"
Old 08-19-2006, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Hmm. For a second I thought you might actually be agreeing with me

OF COURSE there are tradeoffs with bigger cars. If you REALLY want a lightweight car, by all means go get your Focus, Aveo or Corolla. I like my muscle cars to be full-featured... safe... heavy on power and torque... and to look good. That's what drives the weight. Those who really want a welterweight car, can go get one and make the sacrifices that come with those buzzy econoboxes.
Well good for you. Personally, I like my "muscle car" to be available with a wide variety of options (not possible these days, unfortunately), safe (the biggest safety issue is that water-based thing ybetween the front seat cushion and the steering wheel), heavy on power and torque (that works much better with less weight - and breaks less - and is more efficient), and looks good (Corvette looks good to me).

Those of us that prefer light wish we didn't have to get an "econobox" to get our fix. Wasn't the case a few years ago.

Then again...I'm not blinded by brand nor intimidated by those that preach it.

Bob
Old 08-19-2006, 02:32 PM

I don't agree with having these arbitrary weight benchmarks. If someone had told me what the upcoming Challenger will weigh in at, I'd have been nervous... but very curious to see it. Now that I have seen it, wow that car is pretty nice. In muscle cars, looks go a long way towards trumping weight.
I didn't come up with "arbitrary benchmarks" out of thin air ... ~3900 lbs is the weight of the Mustang GT500, and ~4200 lbs is the weight of the Challenger concept. "~3600 lbs" is a hopeful thought/compromise for the 5th-gen (it's heavier than the ~3400 lbs of the 4th-gen, but lighter than any of the competition) .

Another car that we can compare to is the '03/'04 Cobra ... ~3700 lbs, and that's with IRS. But the thing with that car is that the IRS was retro-fitted into a car that was normally a live-axle ... so I don't know if there were possibly ways the car could have been made lighter if it was designed with IRS from the get-go??

Anyway, point being, we have actual #'s to compare to (Corvette on the low end, Challenger on the high end) as well as previous generation Camaros. Bearing in mind the safety standards the Camaro must meet, I still think it's fair to have expectations in mind for the weight .
Old 08-19-2006, 02:42 PM

OF COURSE there are tradeoffs with bigger cars. If you REALLY want a lightweight car, by all means go get your Focus, Aveo or Corolla. I like my muscle cars to be full-featured... safe... heavy on power and torque... and to look good. That's what drives the weight. Those who really want a welterweight car, can go get one and make the sacrifices that come with those buzzy econoboxes.
You are right. I can't believe I never thought of that. Instead of buying a nimble, rwd car, I can buy a suggish, poor handling fwd econobox. How did I never see it before?

You somehow seem to be implying that your very own opinion of what a muscle car should be is the true one. How exactly do you come to develop your idea as to what the muscle car criteria is?
Old 08-19-2006, 02:48 PM

Some of you guys should just go buy a stang....'i don't care how fast it is, weight isn't an issue...it looks good, and looks fast, no one has to know its slow'

target wieght should be 3500lbs and thats pushing it...if its heavier, its not a muscle car, and certainly not a pony car.

Go ahead, give in guys, tell them you'll still buy it at 4000lbs...cause no one reads this board anymore
Old 08-19-2006, 03:09 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Buttercup
I've been saying all this for a while, I'm just not all that active in the 5th gen section (or any section these days ). It's good to read for information but not much for constructive discussion. If you're critical of anything you're just not a fan and you are against Camaro's triumphant return That's when it's not a retro vs. modern debate or Z28 vs. SS

I'm actually a bit shocked at Scott's comments on weight. He came off as almost abrasive and condescending. No matter what his following (though well earned) is here or anywhere, that's insulting. I can only assume how hard it is to take incessant criticism from us "lowly" online enthusiasts when it comes to something you've put your heart and soul into but it's no excuse to belittle something that IS important for some people who are very passionate about it. I sure hope GM doesn't disparage its engineers like it does its enthusiast fan base.

I hope the engineers that care about this car are just as sick about hearing the weight issue as Scott is. If not, someone needs to preach even harder to that choir.

I hope saying that doesn't ruin my chances for working at GM
Buttercup........we'll hire you!

I certainly don't mean to come across as abrasive -- I think the point I was -- and continue to try and make is this: We are ALL in violent agreement here!

I guess I get upset when I continually try to tell people that weight is our enemy........we want this Camaro to be the best ever......and we want it to meet the wants and needs of our enthusiasts........the problem is that no sooner do I post that we realize that weight (the lack of) is so crucial to the program -- someone else posts about the car being a pig. The car isn't even out yet and yet people will bash.

I'm sorry, but it just upsets the heck outta me -- esp. when a few people on this board should know better.

Ask Chris and Jason about 'details' -- the day they were at Milford to drive the concept, they were privy to several charts -- and all I'll say is that to anyone outside of this industry, it's unbelievable as to the details that are considered on every one of our products.

You can be assured that we are MORE concerned about weight than anyone on this board. There is a lot at stake here for GM. It's called CAFE.

I'm sorry if I upset you with my post. I certainly didn't intend for it to come across as abrasive -- but rather as a "hey guys.......we hear you......give us a chance."

Now.........all that said..........this is 2006 -- we have no choice but to meet all current and future safety/emissions/CAFE standards that the United States Government deems fit to put forth. We -- that's those car guys and gals at GM -- want the best Camaro ever. We are gonna do everything in our power to get you the car of your dreams. That said -- you have also said "it must be affordable' -- so that rules out titanium body panels!

Please-- Please -- Please -- give us a chance.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:15 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Bottom line here is that the weight concience people around here are "singing to the choir" with their comments aimed at GM.......but just keep in mind there's only so much that can be done.

The car has to be the right size...built with the right quality.....and be priced at the right point.

These are sometimes divergent goals.

Ah...........the voice of reason!

Thank you, Mr. Harden.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:29 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I guess if you have to find something good about something that makes a vehicle turn slower, recover slower, stop slower, accelerate slower, get out of somebody else's way slower - but use gas faster - then I suppose the above ideas are about as good as it gets.

Congratulations.
Bob
OK......................

Let's set the record straight here.

The late 4th gen cars were not lightweight.

Yet:

>It's taken Ford how long to come up with a car faster than a stock LS1 based SS?

>Little known fact that I wasn't allowed to talk about: Until the advent of the Z06, a 1LE Camaro SS was faster on a road course (same course, same driver, same conditions) than a Z51 Corvette...............and would put cars costing 3 times as much to shame.............

>the LS1 based cars were CAFE positive --meaning that they affected our CAFE average in a positive manner-- not a negative manner -- meaning they were not gas guzzlers..........

>the LS1 based cars were low emissions vehicles.........

........the biggest problem with them to many was that they were so big in terms of length and width.

If the new Camaro can do EVERYTHING better than a 4th gen.......and soundly trounce everything in it's class --- and cars costing 3 times as much............and provides a thoroughly enjoyable driving experience -- and you're still not happy -- well then, it's a free country. You simply select something else to buy. I hate to say that because I've only ever told two other people to please buy something else.

Perhaps you should give us the opportunity to build the car first.

It does not appear that you want to listen to the simple fact that WE DON'T WANT THE CAR TO BE OVER WEIGHT.
Old 08-19-2006, 03:37 PM

I can't believe people are complaining about the 5th gen being a pig, when, as far as I know, we haven't seen any curb weight listings for an 09???

hmmmm........
Old 08-19-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
>Little known fact that I wasn't allowed to talk about: Until the advent of the Z06, a 1LE Camaro SS was faster on a road course (same course, same driver, same conditions) than a Z51 Corvette......
Seriously?

Wow. Didnt know that one, thats awesome.

And I for one never had a problem with the 4th gen's weight or proportions. I still think the 98+ Camaro is the most beautiful thing ever created by the hand of man. the 93-97 is only a speck of dust behind.

I love driving my brothers 98 Z, and if I could find an affordable M6 LS1 SS, the Mustangs in my sig would mysteriously disappear...
Old 08-19-2006, 03:42 PM

A couple more things about weight. I happen to like having some mass on my side, in case there's a crash. It makes a big difference in real-world crashes with other cars.
Two things I don't like about that argument. First, you seem to be defining 'safety' as the ability to survive a crash. Me, I'd rather increase my chances of avoiding one in the first place. And a lighter more nimble car is going to increase the chances of you getting out of trouble before it happens. Second, it's a very selfish argument. Your higher mass is increasing your safety directly at the expense of the person you're hitting. I'm not saying you should martyr yourself in an 1600 lb tin can, but I also don't think you should relish having the extra weight to pummel the other guy with either.

Personally I don't care about 5-star safety ratings or having 18 airbags to cocoon me in the event of a crash. I seem to recall that on average it would take 130 years of driving to have an accident serious enough to trigger an airbag. So the odds of needing all this safety equipment are pretty low. I'd rather save the money and the weight. But I know I'm in the minority here and this stuff is needed for a mass marketed car.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Obviously GM could build a lighter "death trap" car, but the question is how many people could buy such a thing in this day in age. And didn't the insurance industry basically kill muscle cars in the early 70s?
GM could not build a death trap lighter car. The Government has mandates on how safe a new car must be in order to be sold in the US, a death trap probably wouldnt meet those requirements...
Old 08-19-2006, 05:02 PM

Every once in awhile (usually twice per year), there comes a series of post from someone which after readings not only makes me feel like someone just pulled my brain out through my ears, but forces me to spend the rest of the day comteplating the collective mental state of mankind..... as well as wanting to break into my daddy's liquor cabinet.

Jon.... today's your day. After having been here for over 5 years, trust me Jon, it takes an awful lot of devoted effort to reach the success level you have just reached!

The newest nomination for the
"Lets Leave Guy Completely Flabberghasted Award"

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
All of the stuff that makes the car 5 star crash worthy needs to be easily removed. If its a pig then I'm gonna buy a Mustang with power windows.
I still want to take the safety equipment off of the new one, but I'll probably do that regardless of how hard it is to remove.
You can unbolt quite a bit if safety stuff on todays cars. Liability lawsuit? Against who? If I take it off its my fault. I just meant so that wouuld be easier to cut weight if need be. If I drive an older car I don't have the safety anyway. So whats the difference.
....But with all the extra safety stuff there has to be it's just gonna be heavier. If I can unbolt a hundred pounds, I will....

(and later)..., I never even said that I would bother taking the stuff off.
And before you start saying, that I'm stupid and gonna die. Let me say this. There are people every day that risk their life doing dumb ****, just for fun. They might be stupid, I might be stupid.......
(on exactly how Camaro can get weight off)......I'm not an engineer on the Camaro project, they can figure it out if they want.
So I was saying that it is fine and dandy to make a car class leading in safety(as that will help sell cars), just let the people who don't buy cars for the safety have the car they want too. Honestly, I said more as a joke, but thats not to say that I won't take the stuff off anyway.
Well then they should put warning labels on the bracing that reads "If removed you will die"......
Adding more power doesn't do the exact same thing as having less weight. Sure it makes it faster but light and powerful does so much more than heavy and more powerful.....
....What do you say about all the people who ride motorcycles, there's no crash standards in place there. They must be stupid to ride such an unsafe vehicle, right?
...My concern is that I gonna be riding down the road, get next to some old mustang or something that somebody bought for next to nothing, and its just gonna walk away. (... and ditching safety equptment is going to solve that?)
And it's not that I just have something to prove. I hate to see other people giving Camaros and such a bad name. Whats good for me is good for GM. The better there cars look and perform the better they will do. Which means more money for R&D for the next Camaro or whatever.
Jon........Although I suspect you have already been in a head trama inducing accident after reading these posts, and would normally at this point use you as a proverbal human pinata, instead, Im so befuddled and stunned that I'm just going to bypass that, simply give you this award....... and go break into that liquor cabinet.

Last edited by guionM; 08-19-2006 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by R377
Personally I don't care about 5-star safety ratings or having 18 airbags to cocoon me in the event of a crash. I seem to recall that on average it would take 130 years of driving to have an accident serious enough to trigger an airbag. So the odds of needing all this safety equipment are pretty low. I'd rather save the money and the weight. But I know I'm in the minority here and this stuff is needed for a mass marketed car.
I hope this is an accurate statistic, because statistically speaking I should be safe from another accident of this caliber for a long time coming.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Just out of curiousity Guy, who else might have reached this level of success you speak of before?

Quick Reply: Post-announcement Q&A with Fbodfather...