2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Scott????? Did this happen while you were in the hospital?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:48 AM

Do I like the music? No.

Do I like the language? No.

Do I like cars with 30 inch wheels on them? No.

BUT there is one thing I like. Rap/Hip-Hop is EXTREMELY popular with young people all over America. One thing I like that most rappers seem to portray in their videos is that American cars are cool. You don't see many rappers driving around in Civics with fart pipes and wings, and you definitely don't see it in this video. I'd rather see an old Impala on 24s than see another ****ty *** Integra with a bodykit and huge wing. They gave the new Camaro some publicity, the new Vette, and even the new Impala SS. I think even though the lyrics and music is ****, the images speak to a huge audience. GM needs to start marketing towards Americas youth and show them that American cars are cool, because those kids are possible future GM buyers.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
Do I like the music? No.

BUT there is one thing I like. Rap/Hip-Hop is EXTREMELY popular with young people all over America. One thing I like that most rappers seem to portray in their videos is that American cars are cool. You don't see many rappers driving around in Civics with fart pipes and wings, and you definitely don't see it in this video. I'd rather see an old Impala on 24s than see another ****ty *** Integra with a bodykit and huge wing. They gave the new Camaro some publicity, the new Vette, and even the new Impala SS. I think even though the lyrics and music is ****, the images speak to a huge audience. GM needs to start marketing towards Americas youth and show them that American cars are cool, because those kids are possible future GM buyers.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree.

Money in GM pocket speaks a lot louder than some people’s opinion on rap music in this forum.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mustang Killer57
Theirs been Escalades, H1's, and H2's in music videos for a long time now, and I doubt anybody has not bought 1 because of that. If anything, its probably sparked thousands of sales.
No probably about it. I think it was Scott Settlemeyer's discussion at carlisle where he said (or if not, I'm putting words in his mouth and somebody else entirely said it) that the Escalade's unexpected popularity in rap videos is almost solely responsible for the huge surge in Cadillac popularity and sales. Once it became "cool" for rappers to have Escalades, everybody had to have one. That combined with caddy's new image (starting with the CTS) completely turned Cadillac around.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bcolon
To me the problem is not that it is in a rap video, but that the video uses questionable language. So a comparisson between Garth Brooks and these guys really does not work.

I do agree on the overall country sentiment though... ugh...
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem as if I was comparing a country singer with those guys. I was just making a music related statement.

I may hate country, but it's far better than the music in that video...

And, yeah, I'm not big on vulgarity in music. A little is ok, but that much is nearly (and to some IS) offensive.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 91 Camaro RS
Thanks for reminding me why rap is the ****ing worst kind of "music" ever created. I'd rather listen to opera.
Now THAT is a tossup. LOL
Old 12-11-2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
Do I like the music? No.

Just my 2 cents.
I can't argue with that, if that's what it'll take to sell the **** out of Camaros.........I guess, I really don't have a problem with it. I still don't like rap! None of this would ever stop me from buying one. I only hope it doesn't turn away any other prospective Camaro buyers. Just a little puzzled by the double standard, I guess!
Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
I see they didn't let any of those girls with a buffer near the concept...that's a good thing. I don't know about you guys, but I like seeing the concept get as much air time as possible through any outlet possible. I wonder how many videos and commercials were made with the 4th gens in it? Maybe with a little more publicity, that generation would have had a little higher sales. But hey, as long as they don't jack it up and throw some 28's under it, I don't care what video the concept is in.
Big tymers made a bunch of videos with chevy vehicles. Hell, if this is offputting to some members then seeing their videos will force you to get rid of your silverado, vette, impala, et etc.

As for 4th gen vids, I know they did a few, but this is the only one I can remember.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Gfq5Mjzr...elated&search=

Fast forward about 2:15 in and there is a nice silver ls1 WS.6 that they show in the background a lot. It does some donuts towards the end.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

well.......I'm not a rap kinda guy.........guess I'm too old??? (give me Motown....)

This is a tough one -- you don't want to offend, but you also want to appeal to a wider audience.

I have some problems with the content - specifically certain words.

Now.....all that said.......I go back to the late 70s (when I was 5 ????) and sat in a conference with about 30 other young GM District Managers.....we were asking top execs at the time various questions.

One young woman (really!) asked why GM -- specifically Chevrolet - did not advertise in Playboy. The guy from advertising nearly had a goat.....sputtered a lot and said to the effect that Chevy would never advertise in such a magazine.

........well.......the young woman stood up and said "OK......the average age in this room is mid 20s.......can I see a show of hands of who does NOT read Playboy?"............now -- there were 5 women in the room..........only two people in the room put their hands up......a young woman from Quebec and a young man from Saudi Arabia. She turned back to the guy and let him have it with both barrels -- talking about "you want to reach a younger audience and you don't even know what magazines they read???!!!) (for what it's worth, I'm quite certain GM did know what we read......they just didn't have the stomach for it.....)

This taught me something.........KNOW THE TARGET CUSTOMER AND KNOW HOW TO REACH HIM.

I guess the good news about all of this is that unless you watch rap videos (or happen to be on this board....) you probably won't even know that GM provided the vehicles for that video...........
Old 12-11-2006, 10:13 PM

Well, I watched the whole thing and I can't really say much negative about it. No sex, drugs or guns... and I'm sure they'll have a "clean" version if it airs.
Nice beat, alot of energy, but I don't car much for a Cutlass with enough ground clearance to make a Hummer envious..
Not enough concept in it either..
Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather

I have some problems with the content - specifically certain words.
pretty much the only problem i have.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:56 PM

Scott, Im sorry so many folks bitch about such petty things..

Yes, the language and some of the imagery may be bad, but it is a way to hit a target younger audience.....

SO ... glad to see chevy advertising any way they can, to reach all demographics.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:45 AM

When the first GM pics of the concept started rolling out there was a yellow 1st gen parked beside it. Is that the yellow one in the video??
Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by graham
When the first GM pics of the concept started rolling out there was a yellow 1st gen parked beside it. Is that the yellow one in the video??
Ed Welburns yellow 69 Camaro SS was there

unless there was another yellow first gen? the yellow first gen in the video at the drag strip is a 68
Old 12-12-2006, 06:09 PM

In my limited experience, I have found that the concept appeals to a very wide audience. Young and old, rich and working class, everybody that walks into my office have expressed a positive opinion on the Concept poster behind my desk. The CEO of a local medium sized company is enamored with the car, as is my UPS driver.

I like the fact that Chevy is actually promoting the thing.

Good job!

Old 12-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Ed Welburns yellow 69 Camaro SS was there
Yeah I was wondering if that was Ed’s car or not

Quick Reply: Scott????? Did this happen while you were in the hospital?????