2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

SLP involvement

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Re: SLP involvement

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Would that hurt perceptions of all the other Chevies though?
Yes you're right, I believe it would. We should only use it for OUR own internal consumption.

Last edited by Z284ever; 12-11-2005 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yes you're right, I believe it would. We should only use it for OUR own internal consumption.

or you could make it part of your sig Charlie .
Old 12-11-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
or you could make it part of your sig Charlie .
I believe someone's got it already.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:51 PM

Man...you guys never let it go...

Everyone knows the IROC-Z is the top of line Camaro

Wonder if we will get the Camaro LT back?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
Everyone knows the IROC-Z is the top of line Camaro
Now, we are talking sense.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:47 AM

I believe someone's got it already.
Who could that be?

Last edited by stars1010; 12-12-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:09 AM

I'm trying tp be considerate here... so don't go flaming me about my opinion - constructive criticism is welcomed...

I always looked at it as comparing to the Mustang...

You look at the GT and IMO, compare it to the Z28. (I'm talking 99-04 here)... The GT came with 17" wheels, different rear bumper, different hood, obviously it got the 4.6, suspension, etc, over a V6 coupe. What did the Z28 get? An engine... oh, and dinky (ugly) wheels, no distinction, and vacuum cleaner tips.

Let's look at the Cobra (which we'll compare to the SS). HUGE improvments over the GT. Big power gains from an entirely different engine (especially 03/04), different rear, tranny (03/04 anyway), better seats, MUCH better suspension and brakes, etc. The SS got a hood, wing, wheels, "better" exhaust... sure you could get optional stuff, but at the very least, most of it should have come standard on the SS - and besides the suspension, it wasn't going to make a difference.

Not to mention that SVT has a HUGE supporting roll in the enjoyment of the driving experience. Sure, SLP has a gathering at Englishtown or whatever, but the SVTOA has (what seems) so much more to offer, including track days (not just drag racing), a message board that didn't go to poo, newsletter, etc...

How often does a stock Cobra have problems keeping away from a stock GT? Taking out driver error... Never.

How often does a stock SS have problems keeping away from a stock Z28? Well... you know the answer.

IMO, after having both a SS and Z28, the SS seemed like an afterthought. I think the SS failed to the competition (besides brute power - which the Z28 had the SAME amount of power) in delivering a UNIQUE driving experience.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by formula79
Wonder if we will get the Camaro LT back?
Hopefully not
Old 12-12-2005, 09:09 AM

What does IROC stand for again? (not thinking of International Race of Champions)

Disclaimer: the previous post is not intended to cause offense, so if you are offended you shouldnt have read it
Old 12-12-2005, 09:45 AM

I'm glad Red posted what he did. And if that's what he says went down, I'm not sure how anyone can dispute it. However, I think some of the animosity toward SLP stems from the problems their aftermarket division had in delivering product toward the end. The board is full of bad experiences within the last couple of years. Unfair? Possibly, but true nonetheless.

Personally, I never liked the SS and feel as many do that the Z28 was unnecessarily kept "dowdy" by the existance of the SS. As if GM didn't want to step on SLP's toes by coming up with a performance/appearance package for the Z28 on their own. Sure, this might not be how things actually were, but I don't have to tell anyone here what perceptions can do. Especially in the auto industry.

And Red, if the car handled that well, why didn't we ever hear about it? Even from the SS owners themselves? Had I known that, I might have given the SS more of a break. I'm more interested in well-rounded performance than just straight-line anyway. If the car outhandles others that cost 3x as much, that might be commerical-worthy. I know, those probably weren't your decisions to make, but that's a fumble of epic proportions, again, IMHO.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:58 AM

You guys might get the heritage of what package is which and what model is above what, but I dont think it'll make a dime's bit of difference in sales.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
What does IROC stand for again? (not thinking of International Race of Champions)

Disclaimer: the previous post is not intended to cause offense, so if you are offended you shouldnt have read it

I could see a Camaro LT. There is already an LT designation for most Chevy cars.
It brings up a good question, will Chevy follow suit with its other designations? Will a base Camaro be Camaro LS, then LT, LTZ, then SS, Z28?
Could go something like this...
Camaro LS
3.9 VVt V6
6spd manual
power everything standard
AM/FM/CD player
Camaro LT then would upgrade that with maybe some body colored side mirrors, optional leather heated seats and optional 5.3 V8 and 6spd auto, radio eqipment, etc etc.
then RS would be get sport suspension, more agressive seats, larger 17's, dual exhaust, body package, bigger brakes (shared with SS). RS would probably fight the GT as would low optioned SS's.

Last edited by Big Als Z; 12-12-2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by graham
You guys might get the heritage of what package is which and what model is above what, but I dont think it'll make a dime's bit of difference in sales.
I do.

The right name and link to proper heritage, can make the final packaging of certain products....like performance cars...more appealing. And it doesn't cost anymore to do.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:28 PM

I do.

The right name and link to proper heritage, can make the final packaging of certain products....like performance cars...more appealing. And it doesn't cost anymore to do.
Unless your dealing with Chevy fans , could there BE anymore debates on this subject
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
GM develops the 4th gen.

The 'ultimate' Camaro in 1993-1995 is a Z28.

SLP comes along and says to us.......we'd like to take the Camaro to the next level.

so......DURING the 1996 model year.......they introduce the SS package AS A SECOND STICKER PROGRAM.

Now........are you telling me that mid-year we should suddenly switch nameplates?

So........you want us to change the nameplate in the middle of a year, huh?.

But ladies and gentlemen..........to suddenly switch gears (nameplates) in the middle of a lifecycle would be disasterous.

Hi Scott, just using the above example (the doomsday scenario I mean), how was it that the IROC displaced the Z28 in the mid 80's to the point where Z28 completely went away for a few years, only to reappear a few years later as the NEW top model Camaro again. I was there, and I don't remember being overly confused as to what was the top Camaro. Not trying to antagonize you, just trying to understand the differences between the 2 scenarios.

Quick Reply: SLP involvement