2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

SLP involvement

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Re: SLP involvement

Race tracks have no bumps

Sorry, had to point that one out
Old 12-14-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yes you're right, I believe it would. We should only use it for OUR own internal consumption.
OK so just change the "SS" to "GT" or "R" or whatever...

"Just about any car can be a GT or an "R", but only Camaro can be a Z28."

I like it. Scott, hand that over to GM marketing and tell them to run with it. 4 hours and a room full of sales geniuses should be able to make a winner out of that, LOL.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Race tracks have no bumps

Sorry, had to point that one out
Only good race tracks have no bumps. There's plenty of rough tracks out there though.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 PM

Yeah, after I wrote that I was going to edit it and say "no big bumps in mid-turn, typically," but was too lazy and figured you wouldn't catch me on my BS.

Nice work
Old 12-14-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
How often does a stock SS have problems keeping away from a stock Z28? Well...if it's on a road course, it doesn't!

Now......I had to think about this for a while...but we did a Camaro Video for dealers and showrooms.....and we filmed it at what was Bragg-Smith in Nevada...(now Spring Mountain Motorsports Park) (great track, by the way....we still rent it to do chassis development work....)

Anyway.....we ran, as I recall 10 laps with a Mustang GT, a Z28 and an SS...same driver...same conditions...same day...same everything........

The Z28 averaged, as I recall a 4 second lead over the Mustang GT. The SS, on the other hand, had a 12 second........that's HUGE....advantage over the Mustang GT.

The SS had chassis tuning to perform better on the track. It rides more harshly than the Z....but the tradeoff is in better handling.

By the way......little known fact that we never were allowed to talk about. A 1999 Camaro SS with 1LE suspension was marginally faster on a road course than a 1999 C5 Corvette with Z51 suspension. Our own engineers would prove it at Milford and in Nevada.
That's some interesting news. I had always been aware that the 98-early 00 SS/WS-6 cars got 1LE springs, bars, and bushings (there is a noticeable difference in ride between base V8 cars, and later SS/WS-6 cars and mine); but not that they made them that much better. I guess it is correct ot assume that those parts were dropped from the package due to whiney owners complaining about ride compliance. I love the way my car handles. I have added SFC's, 35mm/22mm bars, and rod end LCA's. Now I just need a set of Koni's, but they are damn expensive.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:46 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

well...to answer a couple of questions:

First, don't assume that the original plan was to leave the LS1 alone.....but the decision was made to put the cars on hiatus about two years before LS1....at the end of 1998-1999. Once that decision was done, it was next to impossible to get funding to do more work on the car. (thank God for SLP!)

Also, at the time, we were to keep the Camaro at, I recall, 30hp less than Corvette. That was the rule. Didn't say I liked it. (really disliked it, actually)...however, remember that this would have been during the Zarella years. (and don't get me going on THAT.....) As a result, when the second gen (for lack of a better term) LS1 was introduced, (2001 model year) the Camaro LS1 got a truck cam to keep the horsepower down. Again...don't shoot the messenger.

Things changed once he was gone.......time to reinvent Cadillac. Now....if you're gonna take on the world, you need a powerful engine. We had a CTS...but what engine would we use? Cadillac brand image was the northstar...but some felt it wasn't powerful enough.......enter the LS6. Now...I wasn't in any of those meetings....I'm not that high up on the totem pole. Suffice it to say that the LS6 was approved for the CTS-V.....and the rule changed!

Trivia: The Vehicle Line Executive on the CTS was Jim Taylor. Prior to his assignment, he was the VLE on Camaro/Firebird! (and owns two Camaros) He's now General Manager of Cadillac. Great guy.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 PM

First, don't assume that the original plan was to leave the LS1 alone.....but the decision was made to put the cars on hiatus about two years before LS1....at the end of 1998-1999.

As a result, when the second gen (for lack of a better term) LS1 was introduced, (2001 model year) the Camaro LS1 got a truck cam to keep the horsepower down.

Uh...shouldn't that be 1995-1996 and then the LS1 was introduced in 1998.... ?
Old 12-14-2005, 11:22 PM

The LS1 was introduced in '97 in the C5.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:43 PM
West South Central Moderator

Originally Posted by demonspeed
94-96 Impala SS recieved the LT1, whereas the Caprice got the TBI.
Nope, all 94-96 Caprice/impala SS/Roadmaster/Fleetwoods got Gen2 SBC. Some had the 4.3L L99 and most got the iron head LT1. No GM cars got TBI V8s after 1993.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by I burn rice too
The LS1 was introduced in '97 in the C5.
Since when were we talking about corvette timelines?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 AM

I just subtracted two years from 1999 and it only makes sense if you really think about it.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by I burn rice too
I just subtracted two years from 1999 and it only makes sense if you really think about it.
Yes, my math skills are quite good. I understand that "1999 - 2 = 1997". Go re-read RP's post and then read what I had posted in response.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Nope, all 94-96 Caprice/impala SS/Roadmaster/Fleetwoods got Gen2 SBC. Some had the 4.3L L99 and most got the iron head LT1. No GM cars got TBI V8s after 1993.
I'll take your word for it, but I didn't think everyone got the LT1 - just the wagon versions and the Caddy (and 9C1).
Old 12-15-2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Aklaim
Uh...shouldn't that be 1995-1996 and then the LS1 was introduced in 1998.... ?
I think what he was saying is that they planned on putting the cars on hiatus about 2 years prior to the LS1 f body (meaning they were discussing it at that time). When he mentions 98/99, I believe Scott is just saying that was originally when the demise was supposed to be.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:47 AM

First, don't assume that the original plan was to leave the LS1 alone.....but the decision was made to put the cars on hiatus about two years before LS1....at the end of 1998-1999. Once that decision was done, it was next to impossible to get funding to do more work on the car. (thank God for SLP!)

Also, at the time, we were to keep the Camaro at, I recall, 30hp less than Corvette. That was the rule. Didn't say I liked it. (really disliked it, actually)...however, remember that this would have been during the Zarella years. (and don't get me going on THAT.....) As a result, when the second gen (for lack of a better term) LS1 was introduced, (2001 model year) the Camaro LS1 got a truck cam to keep the horsepower down. Again...don't shoot the messenger.
What a way to beat around the bush! But this makes sense, and is pretty much what I figured you'd say. Still doesn't mean that you shouldn't take into account all my thoughts (owner assoc., "complete" package", etc). I hope you all keep this into mind for the future of the Camaro and the 'SS' brand Buying a SS shouldn't just be checking off a RPO code, it should be an experience.

After reading this thread, I don't hate SLP Engineering so much (actually now I'm glad they were around) - just some dislike for SLP Performance.

Last edited by demonspeed; 12-15-2005 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply: SLP involvement