2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

So what do you think ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 03:35 PM

Yeah the colors are great! No doubt!

Right there at the end I was like "all right, we're going to see some close up interior shots" and then... lights out. Seriously no one will watch that twice. But this was supposed to be a combo-deal --- the video along with all the specs officially released today. The live-unveil was probably the least interesting of today's offerings, but taken with the rest, ok. Looking forward to see all the other info that isn't out yet.. HUD, list of standard stuff, more interior photos. List of combos you can order. This business of, we'll give you this little bit today, this little more tomorrow, these other specs next week, etc etc. was ok for a while, now my patience is gone.
Disciple

Originally Posted by Shellhead
I had no problems with actually seeing the webcast. As for the car itself:

-No real info on options, although it certainly seems a HUD and HID's will be offered and those were my big two.

-A little disappointed that there are only summer tires on the SS, but then, my Trans Am was a daily driver and I'm not planning on an SS being one so I just need to adjust my own mindset.

-I'm disappointed in the mileage estimate for the SS. I'd expected better than 23 hwy, but then, I think my old '99 T/A WS6 was rated at 20mpg hwy so it's a pretty good increase. I was hoping for something that really blew me away (like 28

-LOVE the color selections!! It's going to be REALLY hard choice, although the Cyber Gray Metallic, Rally Yellow, Imperial Blue Metallic and Red Jewel Tintcoat are my favorites so far.

Overall it was a little anti-climatic though because the pictures leaked last week - GM needs to do better with embargoing information. Still - we all got the car we saw in concept form, so I CAN'T complain!! Thanks GM!!
Just remember that in 99 the fuel economy ratings were calculated differently. However the new ratings did not have a large affect on GM compared to other manufacturers because they have always been conservative in their estimates. Forget comparing it to cars of the past-comparing the performance and fuel economy against competitors is where the new Camaro really shines.

As far as protecting information goes I think GM does everything they can. They understand the importance of confidentiality but they can't control everybody.

Great point about the production vs. concept. When is the last time a concept got the kind of reaction the Camaro did and then stayed true to form for production?

Last edited by PorcaroZ28; 07-21-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:37 PM

These pathetic 23mpg and 26mpg ratings are from GM though, NOT the EPA yet. You would think GM would want to post the best possible numbers they could at this point.

I think the bottom line is weight kills MPG and this is the proof.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:41 PM

Im down with it

If Microsnot cant build a reliable computer I sure as hell dont expect a perfect webcast from a non-software manufacturer.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
These pathetic 23mpg and 26mpg ratings are from GM though, NOT the EPA yet. You would think GM would want to post the best possible numbers they could at this point.

I think the bottom line is weight kills MPG and this is the proof.
I understand your point but why would GM want to artificially inflate their numbers? I think that would be a very bad public relations move. I am confused how many people are translating 23 mpg with 400+hp and 26mpg with 300 hp as subpar. Compare it to the Mustang and Challenger and see which you would rather own.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 PM

Ed did say "23mpg... and we're working on it." They're probably going to eek out 1-2 more mg by production.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 PM

ok so I'll be the first to admit I haven't followed every single leaked photo or piece of info.
sunroof is apparently an option, doesn't make up for loosing my T-tops but it's better than nothing
clean looking design,
300hp v6 with a 6 speed (should have a little better fuel econ than the auto quoted in the stats book)
independent rear suspension

dislikes:
weight
smaller brakes on the v6 (shoulda stuck with the 4th gen approach on that)
those little guages in the console, (seriously they are useless)
not exactly fond of the speedo and tach boxes either, there is a reason they quit making cars with tunnel guages, just give me a decent LCD and let's move on

as you can tell I'm likely to be a v6 buyer, with 300hp on tap even if the car is somewhat heavy that will be plenty for me especially if I am commuting from the burbs every day in this thing

Now to see how it drives and handles, I was very fond of the G8 GT I drove and hope the camaro is a little better. The interior and feel will likely make or break this car for me, personally I think GM was on the right track with many things on the 4th gen but just needed to go that extra mile with better interior materials and space utilization, for the size of a 4th gen I have always thought there was alot of wasted space.

oah and the webcast really seemed like it was put together at the last minute, nothing personal but the guy doing the unveiling was not the guy for the job, I think however that is more a knock on GM management than the car. I just hope they get the PR side together, more of us are seeing cars as just a way to get from point a to b, to sell cars like this we need to be reminded why we spend our hard earned cash on gas to go enjoy some twisties.

I sincerely hope we can look back on this one day and say it was really part of an overall change in strategy that changed GM for the better, for that though we'll have to wait and see.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by PorcaroZ28
Just remember that in 99 the fuel economy ratings were calculated differently. However the new ratings did not have a large affect on GM compared to other manufacturers because they have always been conservative in their estimates. Forget comparing it to cars of the past-comparing the performance and fuel economy against competitors is where the new Camaro really shines.

As far as protecting information goes I think GM does everything they can. They understand the importance of confidentiality but they can't control everybody.

Great point about the production vs. concept. When is the last time a concept got the kind of reaction the Camaro did and then stayed true to form for production?
GM wasnt conservative on the ratings. I dont know where you heard that crap. The EPA, which came up with the ratings before as well, updated the procedures to the current ones now in place.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM

I understand your point but why would GM want to artificially inflate their numbers? I think that would be a very bad public relations move. I am confused how many people are translating 23 mpg with 400+hp and 26mpg with 300 hp as subpar. Compare it to the Mustang and Challenger and see which you would rather own.
Because in reality we are all comparing it to the 4th gen that got 27hwy.
Considering the HP to weight ratio is about the same I think that's a fair comparison.
It's been 6 years of new engines and technology. Gas is at $4+/gal.
You can't come out with a new car that gets less MPG then the old one or it could be DOA.
I hope not, but that's the reality of right now's economy.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM

you have to remember that the 23 mpg is for the auto with AFM. Im guessing the manual will be 21-22.

And the manual has some pretty horrible (gas saving) gearing to boot.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Disciple

Considering the HP to weight ratio is about the same I think that's a fair comparison.
You can't come out with a new car that gets less MPG then the old one or it could be DOA.
So you would rather have 320hp and 27 mpg instead of 420hp and 23mpg? I'll take the extra 100hp out of the showroom and somehow deal with it...

In all seriousness I understand that gas prices are a major concern right now. And it certainly is a fair comparison to the 4th Gen but once again compare it to its competition which is a more equal playing field. 6 years of new engines and technology have produced a 300hp V6 and a 420hp V8.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM

The LS1 automatic is 16/23 by the new EPA methods and the 3.8 is 17/28. So the numbers are pretty comparable. No, they didn't gain mileage, but they gained weight (probably unavoidable) and power.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=PorcaroZ28;5489612]So you would rather have 320hp and 27 mpg instead of 420hp and 23mpg? I'll take the extra 100hp out of the showroom and somehow deal with it.../QUOTE]

Actually the 320 on an lS1 SS or Z28 was actually 345.

those were underated. Proven.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by TrickStang37
you have to remember that the 23 mpg is for the auto with AFM. Im guessing the manual will be 21-22.

And the manual has some pretty horrible (gas saving) gearing to boot.
0.57 in sixth isn't all that bad...