2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

T-Tops or 1 Piece removable top?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 AM

Re: T-Tops or 1 Piece removable top?

I don't like sections of my roof missing, I am fine without either.

David
Old 08-25-2006, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
There's one major problem with a targa.......

One would have to be about 6 feet 7 inches tall -- and be relatively muscular in order to be able to remove it from the car.

A Camaro is relatively wide.....esp. the roof panel.....and it's higher than a Corvette.......which would make the roof panel extremely unwieldy......
Targa please if it'll happen.

I understand your point, but (my design harddrive kicked in when I read that) what's to say it couldn't somehow be a single unit hardtop that's hinged so it foldes in on itself (inside to inside of course).

Just brainfartin' out loud.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM

For those wondering about it being built in Canada here are my thoughts:

As much as we love America we all have to admit that there are many obstacles placed on businesses/corporations here. Workers Compensation costs are throught the roof, Labor Unions drive up costs and the price of Medical Benefits are astronomical. Canada has free health care and that alone probably makes it more economical to build in Canada. As long as it is engineered here in the USA and made from high quality parts I have no problem with it being built in Canada.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:14 PM

One would have to be about 6 feet 7 inches tall -- and be relatively muscular in order to be able to remove it from the car.

A Camaro is relatively wide.....esp. the roof panel.....and it's higher than a Corvette.......which would make the roof panel extremely unwieldy......
that's why you make it with fiberglass and a lightweigh aluminum frame while designing it to be taken off while sitting in the seat, not while standing outside of the car.

Or maybe one of those fancy multipanel sunroofs would work instead?
Old 08-25-2006, 12:29 PM

i think its funny that everyone says they wont buy a 5th gen "if it don't have t-tops". well, wtf are they gonna buy then? a mustang? a challenger? neither of them off that option. i am fine without t-tops or targa. would it be cool, hell yea, but not required. and yes, my 89 iroc has t-tops, so i have both hard top and t tops.

sunroofs wont work unless its a hydro-formed moonroof, look at all the angles in the roof of the concept. like to see a piece of glass be light and fit right.

targa is probably not gonna happen due to the car being unibody. sure they could add support ala convertible, but that adds weight, again everybody would bitch endlessly about the extra 200- 300 pounds it adds.

sorry , but don't think either will happen.

thanks
Old 08-25-2006, 12:38 PM

heh.. when the height/width of the car was brought up against a targa I couldnt help but be reminded of the rear seat-backs 2 release handles and how inconvenient they were... lol
Old 08-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Good point Graham. I remember what kind of circus act it was like in there, but with my LE gone it's tough to remember.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by graham
I couldnt help but be reminded of the rear seat-backs 2 release handles and how inconvenient they were... lol
I frickin' hate that you have to pull both handles to lower the seat. Probably the #1 thing that bugs me about the car. It's either that or the way the hatch channels water into the car when you open it in the rain.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by AZZKKER
i think its funny that everyone says they wont buy a 5th gen "if it don't have t-tops". well, wtf are they gonna buy then? a mustang? a challenger? neither of them off that option. i am fine without t-tops or targa. would it be cool, hell yea, but not required. and yes, my 89 iroc has t-tops, so i have both hard top and t tops.
Well they could buy nothing.
I fit part of this profile so I'm speaking from personal experience. I have my GTO for everyday/winter driving and my WS.6 for summer/fun. Part of the WS.6 I love is being able to take the tops off and cruise around enjoying a beautiful day. Not only that but I still have most of the strength of the hardtop and none of the weight/flex of the convertible (plus I personally feel more secure having something to protect in a roll over).

If I were to purchase a new Camaro it would most likely be to replace the WS.6. As I said, one of the main things I enjoy about the WS.6 is taking the tops off and cruising around. I miss that when I'm driving the GTO. If the Camaro didn't offer them, this would be a huge negative towards me trading in/selling the WS.6 to get the GTO (and I can't see having 3 newer cars for just me). If the Camaro didn't come with t-tops I could easily see me deciding to just keep the WS.6 and not purchase the Camaro.

That doesn't mean I'd NEVER end up purchasing a Camaro but as long as the WS.6 is running strong I'd certainly hold off.

The one piece I'm holding on to is that I see no reason they can't be done and Scott has not yet said they won't be done. If not the first year maybe the next. Personally I'd be willing to wait.

Remember also something like 65% of all F-bodies were ordered with t-tops. That's hard to ignore.

Chris
Old 08-25-2006, 01:50 PM

Apparently, Scott doesn't spend too much time in the lounge. Doesn't he know that every member here is 6'7" and 325lbs. of solid muscle?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:03 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by DvBoard
that's why you make it with fiberglass and a lightweigh aluminum frame while designing it to be taken off while sitting in the seat, not while standing outside of the car.

Or maybe one of those fancy multipanel sunroofs would work instead?

uhmmm..........not quite......we already have complaints that the Corvette roof panel is too big/heavy....................................can't be done unless someone can change the laws of physics......
Old 08-25-2006, 02:06 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

I should also say this:

"you are preaching to the choir on this one!"

To illustrate: I'd rather drive a regular Corvette Coupe or convertible rather than a Z06. (and yes, I actually parked my Z06 and picked up a convertible!) I'm an open air kinda guy!
Old 08-25-2006, 02:34 PM

Well I suppose all you people that want targa tops could take your new Camaros off to Ziebart and let them take a sawzall to the roof, then slop a bunch of fiberglass and lexan together to make your top!

Hey, why not?

As for T-tops, It offers structural advantages over the targa, not to mention the fact that T-tops are easier for lug around. I prefer my T-tops OUT and stored in the rear hatch, thank you very much. However I wouldnt want a Targa unless it was really light, like carbon fiber, with plenty of fasteners to hold it in place.

I would look very closely at getting a convertible version of the new car, rather than a targa top. If you are removing that much roof, why not simply go the rest of the way??
Old 08-25-2006, 02:55 PM

I have a feeling that this thing is gonna have a traditional sunroof...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:02 PM

I just don't get this. I loved the T-tops on my LE, but if it would have made the car look awful with them I would have preferred the fixed roof. That's part of the problem with this. I have seen PS's and drawings of the t-top version of this car and they just don't look pleasing. The convertible, and I hope you all agree, we have seen looks like it flows naturally. Engineering aside, with the top channel alone, it would look odd.

Scott, if you parked you Z you should have just kept driving it. From what I see the other Z guys have had happen you would have had open air in no time (ref. roof panel problems). While I have your attention...what are the odds you'll be driving the first one off the test line?

Quick Reply: T-Tops or 1 Piece removable top?