2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Turn offs of the new camaro that are making me think twice

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM

Turn offs of the new camaro that are making me think twice

1st: Will it have obdIII? If so, I rather keep my obdI, thank you very much. The last thing I need is anyone checking up on me. GPS and all that...you can keep it...even onstar. Simplicity...I know most would disagree and respond to this by saying that I am afraid of progress. This is not progress...its an infringment.

2nd: Will it be made as "wonderful" as the 4th gen camaro. We all know that cost cutting made our 4th gens very fragile. I dont know how long these new camaro are made to last. What will they be made of? Its has been proposed that Australia will be its final destination in terms of production. What does that mean for price? They do, after all, have to ship it halfway across the world. How close will it be to its set price? really...only $500 more than the american made Mustang?

3rd: How different will it be from the concept??? thats the biggest question...At the very least, wheels are changing, bumpers are changing to conform to crash test safety...etc.

4th: GAS...what the hell is going to happen if gas jumps a few more dollars... are they going to make an E85 model, or are they going to implement it throughout all models?

Im beating a dead horse, yes...but nonetheless...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:22 AM

Re: Turn offs of the new camaro that are making me think twice

From what I understand, OB3 is having a hard time getting approved. Something to do with the fact that the authorities would have the capacity to shut down your car from space.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:59 AM

Ok you’re a bit off here……

Originally Posted by DontMixWithRice
1st: Will it have obdIII? If so, I rather keep my obdI, thank you very much. The last thing I need is anyone checking up on me. GPS and all that...you can keep it...even onstar. Simplicity...I know most would disagree and respond to this by saying that I am afraid of progress. This is not progress...its an infringment.
Ok I can’t speak to much about OBDIII because I don’t know much about it, but Guy spoke about it in another thread in a positive light. I wouldn’t worry about it.

http://64.65.63.61/forums/showthread...&highlight=OBD

2nd: Will it be made as "wonderful" as the 4th gen camaro. We all know that cost cutting made our 4th gens very fragile. I dont know how long these new camaro are made to last. What will they be made of? Its has been proposed that Australia will be its final destination in terms of production. What does that mean for price? They do, after all, have to ship it halfway across the world. How close will it be to its set price? really...only $500 more than the american made Mustang?
Ok, how do you post here and not know that GM officially announced the Camaro would be built in Canada?

Furthermore with GM betting the farm on zeta and all the cars on this platform (Camaro being one of the most important) I would not worry about GM cutting corners and pricing it right.

I’ll go on the record that I think this will be the BEST Camaro we have ever seen.

3rd: How different will it be from the concept??? thats the biggest question...At the very least, wheels are changing, bumpers are changing to conform to crash test safety...etc.
Again you need to read around here. It going to be a little taller and not quite as wide but other than that as close to the concept as they can get it.

4th: GAS...what the hell is going to happen if gas jumps a few more dollars... are they going to make an E85 model, or are they going to implement it throughout all models?
I would assume not only every V8, but every GM engine will be E85 capable within the next 5 years. We can also assume that the next generation of medium block LS engine from GM will have AFM. If they are still called "LS"

Im beating a dead horse, yes...but nonetheless...
No your not beating a dead horse, your not doing your homework

Last edited by stars1010; 08-31-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:59 AM

It's being made in Canada (Oshawa) not Australia. This was officially announced a week and a half ago.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 AM

My personal feelings aside if you have issue with this new technology get ready to think twice about any new car, not just Camaro.
Two different questions, safe to say that every GM vehicle out now is worlds better than any product ten years ago, add to that GM has a lot riding on this car and will make it the best possible.

Second it will be a value like it always has been.

Will get normal headlights, interior will be modern... that kind of stuff, they are going to keep it as similiar as possible.

Safe to say that all Camaro models will offer good gas mileage regardless of displacement. If you want something to worry about, then worry about what a prolonged spike could do the national economy.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 AM

My personal feelings aside if you have issue with this new technology get ready to think twice about any new car, not just Camaro.
2nd: Will it be made as "wonderful" as the 4th gen camaro. We all know that cost cutting made our 4th gens very fragile. How close will it be to its set price? really...only $500 more than the american made Mustang?
Two different questions, safe to say that every GM vehicle out now is worlds better than any product ten years ago, add to that GM has a lot riding on this car and will make it the best possible.

Second it will be a value like it always has been.

Will get normal headlights, interior will be modern... that kind of stuff, they are going to keep it as similiar as possible.

Safe to say that all Camaro models will offer good gas mileage regardless of displacement. If you want something to worry about, then worry about what a prolonged spike could do the national economy.

And lastly every thing you posted has been discussed at length in other threads some of which are probably still on the first page. You might want to check those before posting next time.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:16 PM

No wonder the general public equates Camaros with gas guzzling, when even someone who owns one doesn't understand they get better mileage than minivans, SUVs, pickup trucks, and luxury cars. /rant

And I don't know how you see E85 as the salvation. Personally I'm not into paying the same price for 25% worse mileage.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:53 PM

Stars and Good, you guys are making solid points. We just need to reserve judgement until the specs are finally out and can see it in showrooms/garages(mine). I love that fact that this thing is going to be made in the same plant as the current Impala, unreal quality and we should be thankful. It means a real commitment to building it right. Granted they have had time to get it right with Impala, but that is something to be said as styling aside for some, it has always been a great car. On the gas side, I used to get 2mpg less on the highway with my SS (30mpg in 6th) than with the daily driver Cobalt (32mpg auto). I'm stilll amazed about that, and that was before AFM. We have a clean sheet here, lets not scribble on it yet.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:31 PM

Until they actually hit the showroom floors and and all the details are out, I'll wait and make my judgement as well.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by R377
No wonder the general public equates Camaros with gas guzzling, when even someone who owns one doesn't understand they get better mileage than minivans, SUVs, pickup trucks, and luxury cars. /rant

And I don't know how you see E85 as the salvation. Personally I'm not into paying the same price for 25% worse mileage.
I agree. I would expect at the V-8 cars, with A-6 or M-6 to pull at least as well as the 4th gens. The only year I drove my 30th as a daily driver, I averaged 18mpg in town and could pull close to 30 on the highway. Personally I think that is outstanding for a V-8 sports car. **** my daily driver now, 2003 Ford Ranger can't pull over 21mpg irregardless of where/how you drive it.

You will not find a more agressive critic of the wholesale raping of the American consumer by the oil companies/traders and politicians, but gas could be 6 bucks a gallon and it wouldn't stop me from buying. I'd get 2nd job before giving in to a prius/camery ect.................

Old 09-01-2006, 12:02 PM

OBD3 is already here. Just about every new vehicle I know of is equipped with it already, it's just not activated. When the time comes (2008 if i remember correctly), all of these cars will then have OBD3 activated.

as for the shutting cars off from space and monitoring your speed at all times, that's not gonna happen. the American public won't stand for it. There will be a ton of lawsuits if those things ever go into effect. The government and automakers definitely don't want to deal with that.

Now, for monitoring what happened just before a crash is a different story. That's where people are gonna get screwed.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:47 PM

OBDIII? Okay conspiracy kooks, whatevs. I've got lots more important stuff to worry about. Not even on my radar.

Build Quality & whether it is Fragile? All the GM cars I've driven in the past year have better build quality than the 6 or 7 year old ones did. There has been constant improvement in that area over the years. And even my 99 and 95 Z28s weren't too fragile, though they do have a few rattles and wind noises.

Different from the concept? We'll have to see, but if the Solsitce is any indication, it will still look just as bitchin' in production form.

Gas? Well, gas is going to cost what it's going to cost. I anticipate the 5th gen will knock down the same or better MPG as my 4th gen, and that will be just fine with me. Of my family fleet, a 99 Z28 6 speed and an 03 C5 A4 get the best mpg by far.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by TTopJohn
OBDIII? Okay conspiracy kooks, whatevs. I've got lots more important stuff to worry about. Not even on my radar.
It has nothing to do with a conspiracy. They already violate our rights with DUI checkpoints, traffic cameras ect. I'll be dammned if I am going to allow them to broadcast anything from my car.

There used to be a concept in this country called Freedom. Millions have died for it in vain I guess.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:35 PM

FYI

I wasn't referring to any conspiracy... as it was explained to me, one of the new features on OB3 was a satellite (sp?) based connection where authorities could run tests on your emissions and safety equipment and so forth without you having to go anywhere for an inspection...

if your vehicle was throwing emissions DTCs and you didn't get it fixed in a certain amount of time, they could disable your vehicle entirely until you get it fixed...

that was one of the reasons it isn't mandated already...

It was a couple years ago that this was explained to me... it may have been resolved by now...

submit "conspiracy kook" accusations elsewhere...
Old 09-01-2006, 03:12 PM

Ok, wait wait wait... sorry to go off subject here, but how do DUI checkpoints violate our rights?

Quick Reply: Turn offs of the new camaro that are making me think twice