2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Uh-ho.... Actual production photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by JasonD
Start from the front where the door hinges are, then follow over the A-pillar, over the top, down the B and C pillar, rear fender, and back along the bottom to where there front door hinges are...all one piece. Rigid, light, strong, and safe.
well, since the pics are out there now.... Brett Vivian said that single piece was one of the biggest challenges they faced. How to stamp it.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
After 40 years, I don't think that it will be the first to go, no matter how good the build quality.

Look at a '69 Camaro...similar...
I think sometimes people forget or dont know the 69 is mostly just sheet metal from the firewall back. The trunks dont seal well and rusted trunk pans which the gas tank hangs from are comon. It is the price you pay for the beauty of that car. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone who does not have a garage or similar...

Originally Posted by ChrisL
well, since the pics are out there now.... Brett Vivian said that single piece was one of the biggest challenges they faced. How to stamp it.
Thats awesome!

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 05-22-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:53 AM

I can't wait for mine.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:32 PM

I could be wrong, could just be the angle or whatever, but i'm guessing that engine bay is not as wide open as my GTO. It looks like the engine tucks up very close to the firewall and almost under that cowl like on the 4th gens (though not as bad), and it also looks like there's a lot of crap high and tight to the sides all adding up to make spark plugs / valve springs / heads harder to do.

When i first heard the scoop was non-functional, but maybe an after market possibility i was dissapointed. From that pic it doesn't look like any reasonable aftermarket option will be possible either, making it really a shame.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 PM

5thgen69camaro "I think sometimes people forget or dont know the 69 is mostly just sheet metal from the firewall back. The trunks dont seal well and rusted trunk pans which the gas tank hangs from are comon. It is the price you pay for the beauty of that car. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone who does not have a garage or similar..."

Not entirely accurate... the trunk weatherstripping was beefy enough to handle the "distortion". The main contributor to the water in the trunk was the panel below the rear window. Water and debris would accumlate under the lower window trim, puddle, and slowly rot away. Eventually you would get a hole and water in the trunk. Vinyl top cars were the worst offenders. The big problem was all of this was happening below the stainless trim and you couldn't see it until you had the pond in the trunk. Road salt was another problem... ate it from the outside.

Last edited by RSHugger; 05-24-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RSHugger
5thgen69camaro "I think sometimes people forget or dont know the 69 is mostly just sheet metal from the firewall back. The trunks dont seal well and rusted trunk pans which the gas tank hangs from are comon. It is the price you pay for the beauty of that car. I wouldnt recommend it to anyone who does not have a garage or similar..."

Not entirely accurate... the trunk weatherstripping was beefy enough to handle the "distortion". The main contributor to the water in the trunk was the panel below the rear window. Water and debris would accumlate under the lower window trim, puddle, and slowly rot away. Eventually you would get a hole and water in the trunk. Vinyl top cars were the worst offenders. The big problem was all of this was happening below the stainless trim and you couldn't see it until you had the pond in the trunk. Road salt was another problem... ate it from the outside.

The weather stipping isnt a round piece either. it is a straight piece that has a gap between the beginning and the end. As much as I love the style and proportions of the 69, I think the rear bumper is almost bolted directly to the sheetmetal. Its almost like an egg shell compared to todays cars. They need to be babied and stored in garages or barns.

The 5th gen in comparison is not even close to that. 40 years from now it will have its issues but the 69 was born brand new with certain issues.

I dont want to hijack the thread.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:11 PM

Where those pics taken in Mexico? Or Canada?
Old 05-24-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBird97

oshwa canada
Old 05-25-2008, 08:50 PM

Mexico?! Why would the Camaro be being assembled in Mexico?!

Heck, if it wasn't Oshawa, then I'd assume Australia?! But I know the plant is being setup in Oshawa to begin building the car, and I know that there were some prototypes in there already a few months ago ..... so there's no reason for those pictures NOT to have come from Oshawa .

Originally Posted by jay_lt4
oshwa canada
Heh, drop the "O" and you'd have "shwa", which is what everyone in Oshawa calls it anyways!! The (dirty, as it's known locally) 'Shwa!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Mexico?! Why would the Camaro be being assembled in Mexico?!

[/color] 'Shwa!!!
This is why I had to ask about Mexico...the vast majority of *American Made Cars* aren't even made in America.... Don't believe me...heres the link from GM corporate... http://www.gm.com/corporate/about/gl...erica/mexi.jsp

Sad day for the USA when my Subaru was built in Indiana by American citizens and my Firebird was built by Canadians. *Not bashing Canada BTW, just trying to put a point across*
Old 05-26-2008, 12:28 AM

Sad day for the USA when my Subaru was built in Indiana by American citizens and my Firebird was built by Canadians. *Not bashing Canada BTW, just trying to put a point across*
Come now. The design and engineering for that thing was probably ALL done in Japan. As were most of it's components probably made in Asia. I'd hardly merit any vehicle a nationality based on it's assembly site.

Plus, don't look at one vehicle -- it's not a fair representation. Look at the company as whole. GM employs more Americans than Subaru could ever hope to.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
Come now. The design and engineering for that thing was probably ALL done in Japan. As were most of it's components probably made in Asia. I'd hardly merit any vehicle a nationality based on it's assembly site.

Plus, don't look at one vehicle -- it's not a fair representation. Look at the company as whole. GM employs more Americans than Subaru could ever hope to.
Didn't mean to Hijack the thread...but still just for an example....Toyota, Honda, and Subaru *Pretty BIG foreign company's* all have plants in the USA. Given the parts are probably imported from Japan to make the vehicles, they are still assembled by American workers. Come to think of it though, ever taken the time to look at where any of the individual car parts are manufactured on your vehicle? Actually this could really open up the question...what is an American car...a car made in America, or one made someplace else but owned by an American company? Hmm this could be a good lounge topic
Old 05-26-2008, 12:47 AM

Hmm this could be a good lounge topic
Do it! I'm in.
fwiw, the body, engine, and tranny for my Cobalt were ALL built and assembled here in the USA...I haven't checked on the bolts and hinges, yet....
Old 05-26-2008, 01:21 AM

Didn't mean to Hijack the thread...but still just for an example....Toyota, Honda, and Subaru *Pretty BIG foreign company's* all have plants in the USA. Given the parts are probably imported from Japan to make the vehicles, they are still assembled by American workers. Come to think of it though, ever taken the time to look at where any of the individual car parts are manufactured on your vehicle? Actually this could really open up the question...what is an American car...a car made in America, or one made someplace else but owned by an American company? Hmm this could be a good lounge topic
Not to let you down, but you arent the first person to discover this.
Thing is, GM has plenty more plants then any of the foriegn automakers do combined. The problem arises when the UAW becomes too expensive, and thier work quality falls off. In a non-union Toyota plant, you hit the road. In a UAW Plant, you get put in a job bank, get 90% of your pay and 100% of your benifits, and GM has to foot the bill till they can put you to work.

All my cars were built in America. My 72 and 87 were built in Norwood, the Caprice was built in Texas, and the Maxx in Fairfax, OH.
Camaro will be my first non-American built car, and It really doesnt bother me. Oshawa has one of the highest quality rankings, and with GM recent attention to detail and quality, this car is a perfect fit.
When it comes down to it, foriegn auto makers profits go back to the mother country.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:46 AM

Oh yeah, i know i'm not the first one to discover this..or even bring it up. It was just brought to question why I had asked if the pictures were taken in Mexico or Canada. And yes..your right...in the end the money goes back to the company's home land

Quick Reply: Uh-ho.... Actual production photos