2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Uh-ho.... Actual production photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBird97
This is why I had to ask about Mexico...the vast majority of *American Made Cars* aren't even made in America....

Sad day for the USA when my Subaru was built in Indiana by American citizens and my Firebird was built by Canadians. *Not bashing Canada BTW, just trying to put a point across*
Dude, get over it!!

A) Since we already know the Camaro is going to be built in Oshawa, it would be pretty dumb for those pictures to have come out of Mexico!?

B) Was it not Homer Simpson who called Canada "America Jr."?? GM Canada is still as "domestic" as you get. Canada closely mirrors the goings-on of the US (economy, lifestyle, etc., etc.,) much moreso than Mexico. So whether your "American iron" was built in homeland USA or Canada, doesn't make it any less American iron . Please do NOT class us in the same "import" category as all the TRUE imports!!!

And yes, the plants in Oshawa have received some of the highest awards from J.D. Power multiple times over many years. If there's a quality issue with the Camaro, it's more likely a problem at the design phase, not the build phase . And honestly, with the ("Canadian made") 4th-gens, how many BUILD-quality issues were there with those cars, as opposed to the common DESIGN problems (like the glass 10-bolt? ). I've been abusing my Z28 since I bought it new in 2002, and nothing has broken or fallen apart due to crappy assembly ... anything that's let go has been poorly engineered or designed.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
And yes, the plants in Oshawa have received some of the highest awards from J.D. Power multiple times over many years. If there's a quality issue with the Camaro, it's more likely a problem at the design phase, not the build phase . And honestly, with the ("Canadian made") 4th-gens, how many BUILD-quality issues were there with those cars, as opposed to the common DESIGN problems (like the glass 10-bolt? ). I've been abusing my Z28 since I bought it new in 2002, and nothing has broken or fallen apart due to crappy assembly ... anything that's let go has been poorly engineered or designed.
If you think we build good cars you should see our igloos.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:20 PM

The interior is pretty...fragile in the pre-97 fourth gens, but I'll agree, there were some bunk parts (window motors & switches) but the build quality was there on both my 96 & my 99.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 PM

I know this may be some what off topic. We American like to make fun of Canadians. I was thinking about this today. I hope Canadians don't take it seriously. I would hope you guys give it right back and that your experience with Americans shows it isn't some hate it's just fun.
I loved my Canadian Z28.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Big Als Z:
Thing is, GM has plenty more plants then any of the foriegn automakers do combined. The problem arises when the UAW becomes too expensive, and thier work quality falls off. In a non-union Toyota plant, you hit the road. In a UAW Plant, you get put in a job bank, get 90% of your pay and 100% of your benifits, and GM has to foot the bill till they can put you to work.
I see things a little differently, being from a UAW plant.
Canada having: Gov't HealthCare,
and there was the currency difference,
and slightly lower cost of living, wages,
less legacy issues?...
You can still be fired for poor work quality here as well, and the job bank was seen as a benefit by GM as well, signing agreements to it time and again. B/C their buisness rises and falls cyclically, and they must be able to capitalize on up turns quickly, so trained workers on standby can save millions.
I've no issues with Canadian build quality...OR....UAW build quality.
People from the same communities here that produce Toyota parts, make'em for GM as well...sometimes in the same building.
Cheap materials, have been the real issue for domestic interiors. Designs were great, but things broke easily b/c someone saved a nickel on something.

Last edited by 90rocz; 05-26-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 AM

Wow, I cant believe I am seeing this, way cool
Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by vonmoldy
I know this may be some what off topic. We American like to make fun of Canadians. I was thinking about this today. I hope Canadians don't take it seriously. I would hope you guys give it right back and that your experience with Americans shows it isn't some hate it's just fun.
I loved my Canadian Z28.
Oh don't worry, I don't think there are too many Canadians butt-hurt over any jokes Americans make about us . I don't think you'd care to hear what Canadians have to say about Americans though!!

j/k

Actually it's good ... we don't have to bash your current president, because it seems many/most Americans are getting pretty sick of him too!!
Old 05-27-2008, 11:43 PM

Looks like quite a substantial b-pillar...oh well, at least itll be nice and tight.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBird97
Given the parts are probably imported from Japan to make the vehicles, they are still assembled by American workers. Come to think of it though, ever taken the time to look at where any of the individual car parts are manufactured on your vehicle?
Every car manufactured since 2004 has a label on the window sticker or supplemental to it for domestic parts content and where major percentages came from if other than the U.S. or Canada (Canadian content is also counted as "domestic").
Old 05-29-2008, 04:55 PM

If the V6 is that good it must be the DI one. I just drove a non-DI 3.6 powered G8 and it was not fast by any means.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
I could be wrong, could just be the angle or whatever... It looks like the engine tucks up very close to the firewall and almost under that cowl like on the 4th gens (though not as bad)...
It'd make the car less nose heavy (better weight distribution) thus less understeer and easier to rotate around a turn. I don't know if that was the intention, but at least the design has its benefits.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:52 PM

In the pics of the engine bay I don't see the battery anywhere. Am I missing it? Wonder where it's going to be located?

BTW, since I perform calibration services for quite a few manufacturing facilities, you would not believe how many domestic and import parts are made side by side from the same company.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
In the pics of the engine bay I don't see the battery anywhere. Am I missing it? Wonder where it's going to be located?
Battery is in the trunk.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Those are Mustang bodies, look closer.

That is a Camaro! The mustang has the fuel door on the driver side for one.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by lovescamaros25
That is a Camaro! The mustang has the fuel door on the driver side for one.
This typically means "kidding" or "joking". See my other posts in this thread...

Yes, my above post was a joke. It is a Camaro, of course.

Okay, seriously, look closer.

Start from the front where the door hinges are, then follow over the A-pillar, over the top, down the B and C pillar, rear fender, and back along the bottom to where there front door hinges are...all one piece. Rigid, light, strong, and safe.
:...They hit on safety a lot during the focus group, and that is one of the things they pointed out (the one-piece sides).

Quick Reply: Uh-ho.... Actual production photos