2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

unibody or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:45 PM

Re: unibody or not?

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
The C5 & 6 were changed by adding the back bone construction. I believe those can be made into a rolling chassis and are true space frames. And a space frame does include frme rails. Another example of this is, excuse the expression, Viper.
It's worth mentioning that GM has the best space frame design. The Zo6 weighs 200-350 pounds less than the more expensive Viper or Ford GT. Of course, GM has the most production experience with space frame vehicles. For trivia buffs-the first production space frame vehicle-Pontiac Fiero. The 1984 Fiero weighed in at around 2450 pounds. The rear mounted tranny on the Vette allows for interesting possibilities.

I would venture to guess the new Camaro will be built on a space frame.
It would allow for a profitable business case for the v6 model, and it has already been mentioned some of the body panels are plastic. While I know the concept was built on something else, the car has a low ground clearance, common to space frame cars like the Vette.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 AM

Wouldn't a space frame allow for easier and cheaper replacement of body panels since it would not involve cutting and welding? Also it would allow for lighter weight panels to be used. So i can see a case for the camaro being either.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
Wouldn't a space frame allow for easier and cheaper replacement of body panels since it would not involve cutting and welding? Also it would allow for lighter weight panels to be used. So i can see a case for the camaro being either.

Yes, plastic panels can just be unbolted and replaced. Another benefit is that tooling costs for plastic panels are a fraction of the cost incured in making dies. A car with all plastic body panels would weigh around 150 pounds less than a similar car with metal panels. A final benefit, is that a space frame design is very safe-normally 5 star crash rating.