2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:53 AM

Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!

It's been acouple of month since I took delivery my six speed CTS.

I like most things about it - but I REALLY hate how it wheelhops if you try to launch it agressively. And I'm not talking '6 grand, dump the clutch' abusive launch either, (I would never abuse my own car like that BTW),. I'm talking your typical sidestep the clutch, for a quick launch kind of deal.

This wheelhop issue has also been implicated in many of the failed Getrag diffs in various CTS-V's and CTS's.

It it my understanding that GM is aware af this issue......so let's hope it is eradicated in the 5th gen.

Last edited by Z284ever; 06-08-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:04 PM

Re: Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!

do we know if the fifth gen will have an irs? lsd? (I'm out of the loop.)
Old 06-08-2006, 12:07 PM

A live axle option with Koni triple adjustable rear coil-over shocks would fix that....
Old 06-08-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by shotgun
do we know if the fifth gen will have an irs? lsd? (I'm out of the loop.)
We are 100% it is going to have an IRS, and I agree wheelhop is bad
Old 06-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by graham
A live axle option with Koni triple adjustable rear coil-over shocks would fix that....
So would solid rubber tires. Let's hope GM can think of a more contemporary solution than 30 year old hardware.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
I thought there was a fix for the CTS-V wheelhop issue? Something like a bushing swap?
Yeah, there was. It was supposed to have helped, but to what degree it did actually help I am uncertain.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:42 PM

I think you're missing the point that you're driving a Cadillac and even though the V series is sporty in it's own right, it's still a Cadillac FIRST, Sports car Second.

I highly doubt the 5th Gen will have as much wheel hop as any IRS car, but being IRS it will have some.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ed 2001 SS
So would solid rubber tires. Let's hope GM can think of a more contemporary solution than 30 year old hardware.

Yea and get rid of that outdated pushrod engine as well.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by buzz12586
Yea and get rid of that outdated pushrod engine as well.
Because we all know that with the 350 lasting for 50 years, it's no good... [/sarcasm]
Old 06-08-2006, 04:33 PM

Charlie, I find the fact that your new 2006 CTS still has wheelhop not just disturbing, but darn near alarming! This was an issue that was supposed to be taken care of already.

The Sigma chassis is engineered towards handling, and alot of the Zeta suspension is based on Sigma. GM went with IRS for handling, but I'd say the average stick shift Camaro owner (especially the V6 version which will have a higher concentration of young male buyers) are going to do the occasional burnout or at least hard acceleration. You can imagine the internet flaming up about Camaro's "crappy" suspension on all the sites.

I really wonder if perhaps Camaro should have went the direction of Mustang and went with a live axle. It handles pretty well. Save a few dollars, save a few pounds, and have a cheap way to eliminate axle hop.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rob V
Because we all know that with the 350 lasting for 50 years, it's no good... [/sarcasm]
And we all know it still beats the crap out of everything else that comes along
Old 06-08-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
I really wonder if perhaps Camaro should have went the direction of Mustang and went with a live axle. It handles pretty well. Save a few dollars, save a few pounds, and have a cheap way to eliminate axle hop.
Yeah because we all know that a live axle car won't get wheelhop. Please...

My bone stock live axle car would get wheel hop so bad that once I literally shook the wheel weights off both rear tires.

And before the internet myth perpetuators jump in here, this same car (equipped with useless aftermarket LCAs and still at stock ride height) also shook the rear view mirror off the windshield one night at the track.

I've learned through personal trial and error that quality shocks are the cure for most of GM's wheel hop problems. Even in performance applications, GM simply does not seem to spec enough compression or rebound damping into their shocks and struts.

Charlie, I'm not sure what is available for the car but I would strongly urge you to look into a set of Bilsteins or even Konis. I'd be suprised if you didn't see a marked improvement. Call Sam at stranoparts.com. Great guy and a national champion cone dodger.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:11 PM

I hate wheel hop.(stupid FWD cars.) If the new camaro has it i will cry.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Yeah because we all know that a live axle car won't get wheelhop. Please...

My bone stock live axle car would get wheel hop so bad that once I literally shook the wheel weights off both rear tires.
Don't know what live axle cars you've been driving or roads you've been driving on.

Come on, we're talking (mostly) stock here Chewey, not cars with enough power to destroy interiors.

None of my live axle Camaros had that issue, nor did my live axle 80's technology fox 5.0 Mustang. None of my early 70s technology Chevy Monzas had wheelhop.

Didn't need to change out shocks or bushings, or even collect newt's tails and frog's tounges & wait on a full moon to preform a midnight ritual on my car's rear suspension. I simply pushed the pedal hard, and it accelerated hard. No problem.

The only car I've owned that had any trace of wheelhop were my manual tranny, IRS, T-bird SCs. Charlie has it with his IRS CTS. Some moves promote it on IRS Monaros. Even under some instances, IRS Corvettes will hop a bit.

Last edited by guionM; 06-08-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:41 PM

Wait, guion are you trying to say the new mustang doesn't have wheel hop?

Quick Reply: Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!