2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:50 AM

Re: Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
While this is true, it is my opinion that most people who have owned both will tell you that it is far more prevelant, far more violent, and far more likely to break something in an IRS vice a live axle.

We all have our personal preferences...guess it doesn't make GMs job any easier.
However they are building a Camaro for the masses not a single purpose drag car. I have no problem with people that only care about going in a straight line very fast for a quarter-mile at a time. I do have a problem though with folks that suggest that all cars should be designed around that premise.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 AM

Maybe those people have a problem with folks that suggest that all cars should be designed around the ability to scream around corners?

It is all personal preference, and even those that are single minded are allowed their opinions, desires, and biases. Their opinion is no better or worse than anybody elses, and their money is just as good.

As an FYI....I never stated that I wanted or expected a "single purpose drag car". I can't think of anybody that believes that will happen.

Bob
Old 06-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Well, to be honest.... as anyone who has gone to revalved Bilsteins, Konis, or even off the shelf Bilsteins can attest, the factory Decarbons are woefully inadequate for ANYTHING other than maybe running to the corner store for a loaf or bread and a gallon of milk.
bwahaha

Decent dampers do help.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:57 AM

Maybe those people have a problem with folks that suggest that all cars should be designed around the ability to scream around corners?

Bob
Im hoping the car will scream around corners. Would love for IRS to let the Camaro out handle the Mustang.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:02 PM

How much of a difference is IRS going to make in areas other than autoX and road course racing? Such as regular commuting and minor spirited driving...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:59 PM

It is all personal preference, and even those that are single minded are allowed their opinions, desires, and biases. Their opinion is no better or worse than anybody elses, and their money is just as good.

As an FYI....I never stated that I wanted or expected a "single purpose drag car". I can't think of anybody that believes that will happen.

Bob
While I agree that everyone has personal preferences, from day one Camaro has always been about handling first and foremost. Straight line acceleration has always been secondary. To design any Camaro suspension to address a concern for wheelhop and sacrifice handling because of it, would go against everything Camaro has ever stood for.

If however, you'd be willing to sacrifice handling to fix a wheelhop, issue, that's fine... but I don't think you're really in the market for a "Camaro" if you are.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
If however, you'd be willing to sacrifice handling to fix a wheelhop, issue, that's fine... but I don't think you're really in the market for a "Camaro" if you are.
I couldnt disagree with that more.

A Camaro is all about affordable performance.

IRS has always been a premium among cars.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by graham
I couldnt disagree with that more.

A Camaro is all about affordable performance.

well a couple hundred more than Mustang as Lutz had mentioned is affordable performance. Im sure this isnt the same high dollar IRS that is in Sigma...
Old 06-12-2006, 03:37 PM

Not in the grand scheme of things. Pretty much all passenger cars built in the industrialized world (except for North America) for the last few decades have been IRS.

It's like any technology, such as fuel injection, or air bags, or automatic transmissions. At first it's more expensive and seen only on premium cars. But as its benefits come to be appreciated and mass production lowers its costs, the technology begins to trickle down to the more mainstream cars.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:50 PM

How much of a difference is IRS going to make in areas other than autoX and road course racing? Such as regular commuting and minor spirited driving...
How 'bout a superior ride for starters? Imagine being able to drive down a bumpy road without getting all that pickup-like side to side head toss.

How 'bout a sizeable improvement in NVH?

How 'bout NOT having the rear end snap out from underneath you when a mid corner bump is encountered at perfectly legal speeds?

How 'bout NOT having to read all the bad press the car would surely get with a solid axle?

I could go on but I trust you get the picture.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:53 PM

How 'bout an all around superior ride for starters?

How 'bout a sizeable improvement in NVH?

How 'bout NOT having the rear end snap out from underneath you when a mid corner bump is encountered at perfectly legal speeds?

How 'bout NOT having to read all the bad press the car would surely get with a solid axle?

I could go on but I trust you get the picture.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:18 PM

LOL. One has to wonder how any of us ever managed to have a pleasant (or even fun) driving experience - or survived modern roads at all - without the benefit of IRS for all these years. How did I make it through the head tossing?

Amazing I tell ya!

Originally Posted by jg95z28
While I agree that everyone has personal preferences, from day one Camaro has always been about handling first and foremost. Straight line acceleration has always been secondary. To design any Camaro suspension to address a concern for wheelhop and sacrifice handling because of it, would go against everything Camaro has ever stood for.
I also disagree completely. One only has to look at the number of 1st Gen Camaro's at the Dragstrip or at the local cruise on Saturday night.

LOL. My 99 T/A actually went to a road course once (and it was a blast, for sure). However, it went to the drag strip 3 times, and would have gone more, had I kept it. So ya, I would be more than willing to sacrifice some handling for a stable live axle. But then again, that is just me - my preference, my biases, and my opinion.

FWIW, as it pertains to the 5th Gen, it is far more likely that the oinkness of the car will determine whether or not I buy one vice IRS or live axle.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Cosby; 06-12-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:53 PM

I also disagree completely. One only has to look at the number of 1st Gen Camaro's at the Dragstrip or at the local cruise on Saturday night.
yeah but 1st gen Z28 from day one was all about road racing specifically...
Old 06-13-2006, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
yeah but 1st gen Z28 from day one was all about road racing specifically...
Yes, but it was stated that it was the mission of the first gen Camaro from day 1, not just the z28. Bob has a point. I see 1st gen Camaros all the time at the drag strip. Regardless of what they may or may not have been built for 40 years ago, they have built a stigma for themselves now, and that is being 1/4 mile monsters.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Yes, but it was stated that it was the mission of the first gen Camaro from day 1, not just the z28. Bob has a point. I see 1st gen Camaros all the time at the drag strip. Regardless of what they may or may not have been built for 40 years ago, they have built a stigma for themselves now, and that is being 1/4 mile monsters.
You see corvettes there as well even though that isnt what they were built for either. Also rice rockets etc. Hell when I worked at MIR they still to this day have BIG RIG nationals once a year where they race dump trucks, big rigs and some even rent U Hauls to race.(its only funny for a few minutes) When you work there anything different is entertaining... Snowmobiles also race the 1/4 mile with wheels on the front skids. We used to race the track scooters to test the sensors and a few times Ive raced my 4 wheeler before we opened the gates. That still doesnt change that the Z28 is a road racer not a drag car. Like the Vette it never was one, even if it was used as one... It needs to handle like its on rails

Quick Reply: Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!