2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:36 AM

Re: Wheelhop must be ERADICATED in the 5th gen!

Uncle.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
You see corvettes there as well even though that isnt what they were built for either. Also rice rockets etc. Hell when I worked at MIR they still to this day have BIG RIG nationals once a year where they race dump trucks, big rigs and some even rent U Hauls to race.(its only funny for a few minutes) When you work there anything different is entertaining... Snowmobiles also race the 1/4 mile with wheels on the front skids. We used to race the track scooters to test the sensors and a few times Ive raced my 4 wheeler before we opened the gates. That still doesnt change that the Z28 is a road racer not a drag car. Like the Vette it never was one, even if it was used as one... It needs to handle like its on rails

Let's agree that those in the "road racer" camp and those in the "drag racer" camp will never agree on this issue.

However, as early as 1968, GM referred to Camaro as "The Hugger" in their advertising campaigns. (I think the actual car in the ad was even an "SS".)

Hopefully that stance hasn't changed in 40 years.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
How 'bout an all around superior ride for starters?

How 'bout a sizeable improvement in NVH?

How 'bout NOT having the rear end snap out from underneath you when a mid corner bump is encountered at perfectly legal speeds?

How 'bout NOT having to read all the bad press the car would surely get with a solid axle?

I could go on but I trust you get the picture.
So whats the deal with the GTO then? I havent heard anything about its raw handling capabilities. Other than actually having decent rear seat romm I didnt notice anything that much better about the GTO other than it was slow (LS1 version/auto).
Old 06-13-2006, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by graham
So whats the deal with the GTO then? I havent heard anything about its raw handling capabilities. Other than actually having decent rear seat romm I didnt notice anything that much better about the GTO other than it was slow (LS1 version/auto).
1) Slow would not be a word I would use to decribe that car.

2) I believe the car is overweight due largely to the robust-bordering-on-overbuilt nature of most Aussie platforms.

3) The platform is relatively old. Chassis engineering for the everyday car has progressed quite a bit since this car was originally engineered.

4) If memory serves, a while back the Australian version of pretty much this same car outperformed the previous gen M5 or some other Bavarian burner in a... get this... Car and Driver comparison.

5) The GTO is not intended to be a raw numbers generator or race car and seems to handle pretty damn well for what it is.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Uncle.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Monaro was never meant for US market. I was under the impression, it was much heavier than Mustang because the rear support that had to be added for US impact standard. Also I had thought it was both quicker in the 1/4 and handled better despite being bigger and heavier. Camaro will most likely be alot closer in weight to Mustang from the get go.

I could be wrong here so please correct this if its wrong...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:00 PM

My Dad bought a '68 SS396/325 new, and I know for a fact 90% of Camaro buyers, as well as most other muscle cars, weren't concerned about corners. It was a different world, and drag racing RULED the streets and local tracks. It was fashioned more after the GTO formula: big engine/small car=big fun!

Although I remember the "Hugger-Orange" ads, for handling, around '69,(pace car-orange stripes) I believe Chevy was trying to change Camaro's street image and show it could do more than go fast in a straight line, and sell more cars.
Handling was more of an evolution for Camaro tho...from: leaf springs/standard steering/5"wide red-lines to coil sprung/multi-link/quick ratio/big wheeled/10"wide low-pro/ cars on rails.
(Anyways, my $.02, but now is now, then was then; now it needs to handle/ride/and accelerate well...they'll figure it out....or we'll just modd it!