2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

When will GM give the offical greenlight on concept?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 06:35 PM

Re: When will GM give the offical greenlight on concept?

I think you will see some kind of anouncment once most if not all of the labor agreements are worked out later this summer if not sooner.

Bringing new car lines to a plant is a major bargining chip to reduce staff and conflicts with the UAW and Canadian unions.

I know they have worked out a lot in Canada but more needs to be done here first.

If you award the Camaro and Zeta production to a plant that sill needs cost reductions on labor you not going to get them. Now if you say Hmmm we can give you this new popular car line to build but we need to reduce cost first and if you don't reduce cost we will shut the plant down. They will be a little more responsive.

They did this in Lordstown and all partys were happy.

This is also why Lutz spilled the beans that the car is not approved. But they are still working on it and feels sure it will be approved.

He was just baiting the UAW hook in public.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by VOODOO84ZF
I'm sure we all agree that GM is going to give the offical green light to the Camaro in the near future.

My question is two part.

1/ Does anyone know when this announcement is coming?

2/ When it is made offical will Chevy give the street date for the Camaro's return at that time?
I'm pretty sure the EXACT second it's given the official go-ahead and people within GM are permitted to be more liberal with their talk about it, The Fbodfather will be posting about it on here. Not that I'm holding him to it or anything...
Old 03-26-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 94Camaro_Z_28
It's at 26.98 seconds....get it right

Dammit! I knew they changed it last Thursday from 26.34 seconds, but forgot about it!
Old 03-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by stars1010

Yes can you please make a list of cars that get greatly worse mileage then their competitors?
Aveo.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by poSSum
Aveo.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpconta...dan/index.html
"GREATLY??"

Nah..
Old 03-27-2006, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by graham
I agree those figures make the Aveo pretty much average with the others.

But my experience with my Aveo has been an average of 23mpg... 3mpg LESS than the stated low. Granted that is virtually all city driving, but still...

A Sgt. at work has a Scion Xa and says the WORST mpg he's gotten with it was 30mpg, but averages more like 34 or so.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
HUH???!!

Where did you come up with that goofy thought?

GM meets the same mandated fuel economy standards everyone else does. For the amount of power GM engines put out, the size of their engines and the vehicles these engines go in, their fuel economy is nothing short of remarkable.

GM's in trouble because their previous management team came from outside the car industry, and nievely put money where it would make the most profit the quickest. They put a disproportionate amount of their resources into trucks & SUVs instead of cars because that's what was hot at the moment. They didn't have the foresight to think about what would happen if fuel prices spiked as they have half a dozen times in the past 20 years. Truck & SUV sales collaspsed & years of skimping on car development caught them with nothing to rely on.

Ford was in only a slightly better position, but because of it's previous financial follies (Explorer rollovers, botched introductions, and a CEO that freely spent money on non automotive purchases and the pursuit of moving Ford upmarket) ended up short on cash, and has gone uncharacteristically conservative with their new cars (save the Mustang). Great at stablizing sales, bad at creating excitement. Ford's not nearly as bad as GM, but they're not out of the woods yet either.

Chrysler happened to have great timing and had a series of new products in the pipeline and a lack of any large SUVs which they depended on for profits, and are making money.

Nothing is ever summed up with a simplistic statement like "making gas eating cars". GM makes a 400 horse, 190+ mph, 4 second to 60mph sporrts car that gets 28 mpg on the highway. That's the same highway mileage as a Toyota Camary with a 240 horse V8. Go check the fuel mileage (let alone price) on that Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche the Corvette performs better against.

A nearly 2 ton 6 liter Pontiac GTO gets with 400 hosepower gets 25 mpg... the same the tiny 4.3 liter V8 Lexus GS430 that has 100 horses less.

Look it up.
Nice thread! I totally agree with you!
Old 04-15-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
I agree those figures make the Aveo pretty much average with the others.

But my experience with my Aveo has been an average of 23mpg... 3mpg LESS than the stated low. Granted that is virtually all city driving, but still...

A Sgt. at work has a Scion Xa and says the WORST mpg he's gotten with it was 30mpg, but averages more like 34 or so.
Ouch. I get better than that with my SS.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Fry

tomorrow
Old 04-16-2006, 11:54 AM

Today??
Old 04-16-2006, 12:54 PM

Yesterday?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:06 PM

two days ago?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:53 PM

tomorrow
Old 04-16-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
Aveo.
Ive gotten as high as 39mpg and I ussually get about 36-37... But that is all highway on my 90 mile drive to work... But even around town on the weekends Ive never gotten anything under 28. Its an auto too.

But to answer the threads questions... I dont know...

Edit:And how did that comparo page from edmunds have the AUTO aveo numbers against numbers mentioning the hybrid civic? And how does the auto civic get better mpg then the manual by 2 mpg? I wont even mention the $4k price dif. Ok so I will. Sorry for being off topic...

Last edited by MarineReconZ28; 04-16-2006 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quick Reply: When will GM give the offical greenlight on concept?