2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Who here will replace their current F body(s) with a 5th gen? Who will keep both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 AM

Who here will replace their current F body(s) with a 5th gen? Who will keep both?

I'm really torn right now until I see the final car in person. I'm looking forward to Indy, needless to say With that said, a lot has changed for me since NAIAS '06. I'm engaged, getting married in May, and trying to buy a bigger house. I make a lot more money than just 2 years ago, but with a demo now, I have no use for a DD.

Not to tell my life story or anything, but I wonder what I personally will do the first time I see a shiny new Camaro on a Chevy lot. My Z28 will stay with me regardless. My '91 has been a 2 year labor of love, and while it has no real collector value to it, I've spent nearly $9k on it making it the car I'd always wished my first car ('89 RS 2.8) was...a shiny red, V8, stick, t-top third gen To sell it for $5k would be ludicrous considering the blood/sweat/tears/$$ I have invested in it (which will be close to $12k by year's end, as its getting a new carpet/headliner/dash pad/driver's seat fixed/side windows replaced and tinted/oil leak fixed/undercarriage sanded and painted, etc.). I built it to be a clean summer driver that looked like I just drove it off the showroom floor, because that's what I'd always wanted for a third gen. I could've spent less and gotten more car (namely, an IROC ), but I'd still have a car with original paint, old and worn carpets, etc. When I paid $1k for this, I never thought it'd go this far, but its sure been fun giving it a re-birth.

With that said, I'm sure others on here feel the same for their on cars. So, I did this a couple years back, but there seems to be a lot of new people on here. So, how many will sacrifice their old cars for a new one, or try to keep them all? Or, how many people are in a "wait and see" mode, like me? At NAIAS, it was a no-brainer for me...I didn't have the RS, wasn't getting married, and needed a DD around, well, when the 5th gen was set to debut. Now, I can far more easily afford the car, but I wonder if its worth it for me, given the 2 I already own and love.

I look forward to seeing what people have to say. And Charlie, if you're reading this, you can take me out of the 5th gen market right now if you'd sell me that damn IROC
Old 03-27-2008, 08:12 AM

BTW, for what its worth I should only be considering a Challenger. Yesterday I was talking with the dealer principal of the dealer I work for (Brown Motors in Greenfield, MA), and her and I were joking around that I should just place an order for a Challenger when the '09s are available (Hemi Orange M6 RT sounds like the ticket, to me). I asked her if I'd get in trouble if I bought a Camaro instead. As she put it, "you'll have to answer to more than just me," and pointed to the pic of my fiancee on my desk....

She has a point Even though it'd be the more PC thing for me to do, I don't think I'd actually buy a Challenger over a Camaro anyway...
Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 AM
BBOMG Organizer

What do you mean both?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:26 AM

I'm keeping my 00 SS vert. I couldn't get nearly what it is worth to me if I sold it. Plus it will be nice having a vert still since I am getting a hard top 5th gen.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Exposed Member

See sig.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Hylton
What do you mean both?
Hence why the title has that little (s) in it for people like you and me that already have more than one!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:13 AM

Keeping my SS and adding a 5th gen at some point.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Truth is, they all have their own 'personality'. I thoroughly enjoy my experience with whichever one I happen to be driving. I can't imagine giving one of them up because I know that whatever the 5th gen offers, it will never replace the feeling you get when you drive your other car.

You guys with more than one know exactly what I mean - when you get in the drivers seat of one, you forget whatever else you have and just enjoy what you are currently driving. To those with one already, keep it and buy the 5th gen.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM

I currently have three Camaros. At least one is going to have to go.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
BBOMG Organizer

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Don't do it man!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Hylton
Truth is, they all have their own 'personality'. I thoroughly enjoy my experience with whichever one I happen to be driving. I can't imagine giving one of them up because I know that whatever the 5th gen offers, it will never replace the feeling you get when you drive your other car.

You guys with more than one know exactly what I mean - when you get in the drivers seat of one, you forget whatever else you have and just enjoy what you are currently driving. To those with one already, keep it and buy the 5th gen.
I agree with you 110%. When I'm in my '97, I appreciate the ride/handling relationship, the power, the comfort (I for one LOVE the seats in that car...they're the best IMO...2 trips to BG and back from MA, and not a single backache despite going non-stop over 14 hours!), even the MPG. With the '91, its a different ballgame. The power is absent, as is the ride quality. However, the style is timeless IMO. I love those BIG t-tops in comparison to the smaller 4th gen ones. I like the short windshield, and the basic interior layout. I love the way that I feel the road a little more.

A 5th gen will out-power, out-comfort, and probably even out-MPG both my cars (seen a high of 27 in the Z, 25.4 in the RS on highway trips). It'll be smoother, quieter, more comfortable, and have more features. But it still won't replace the look of my third gen (nothing ever will, IMO) or the wail of the LT1 as the tach swings past 4,000 RPMs.

To be able to keep these 2, I may end up having to wait a couple years, or maybe buy one used...who knows. One thing I've ALWAYS wanted to do is have the experience of my own, NEW Camaro though...so we'll see. I just hope they address the interior, and it has a helluva open-roof option that is NOT a convertible. Like I said, I am waiting until I see it. I just want to really, really love the new Camaro in person. Based on the concept, right now my fiancee and I both are a little bit of a hard sell.

I almost bought an '87 350 IROC last week as another restoration project. Were it not for the pending 5th gen, I'd already be tearing into it. I wonder if that's where I'll end up, a year from now.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:15 PM

Bye bye '95 Z28! I just couldn't get rid of a first gen...
Old 03-27-2008, 12:23 PM

One car garage only.....I have to find my '94 a good home !!!
Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 PM

In all seriousness let me know if you plan to get rid of your '95.

I will get her a great home in Texas!

I really miss my polo green '95.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:48 PM

No Fbody to get rid of, but might get rid of the SS, we'll see.

Quick Reply: Who here will replace their current F body(s) with a 5th gen? Who will keep both?