2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Who here will replace their current F body(s) with a 5th gen? Who will keep both?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Oooo, that's nice Big.

Tell me more about it. Looks like an LG4? I'd LOVE to find a clean, early, 3rd gen like that.
Thanks Charlie. As far as options go, it was a pretty simple car. It had the milquetoast LG4 V8, blue cloth interior, AC, and PW/PL. But no rear defogger or cruise control. The car was in pretty good shape when I bought it with 65k miles and one previous owner (plus then, the dealer he traded it in to). The bummer for me was when I re-upholstered the seats and replaced the carpet. The body had no rust whatsoever... but there were some places in the floorpan which were pretty rusty (not holed yet) and most disconcerting, a few places in the roof where the shoulder belt brackets had some surface rust. Several components in the driver seat also had rusted out. Looked like the car had suffered a little t-top leak and the owner had let it sit for a long time with the carpet damp in a few places. Such a shame! The car was still safe to drive since the seat mounting bolts/bosses were not rusted and the belts were likely ok overall. But that kind of ruined it for me. If I get another 3gen I will ask if I can look under one corner of the carpet, unless it's a western or southern car.

But it was still a stunner of a car. Talk about turning heads! FbodFather signed the shock tower for me too

Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
Thanks Charlie. As far as options go, it was a pretty simple car. It had the milquetoast LG4 V8, blue cloth interior, AC, and PW/PL. But no rear defogger or cruise control. The car was in pretty good shape when I bought it with 65k miles and one previous owner (plus then, the dealer he traded it in to). The bummer for me was when I re-upholstered the seats and replaced the carpet. The body had no rust whatsoever... but there were some places in the floorpan which were pretty rusty (not holed yet) and most disconcerting, a few places in the roof where the shoulder belt brackets had some surface rust. Several components in the driver seat also had rusted out. Looked like the car had suffered a little t-top leak and the owner had let it sit for a long time with the carpet damp in a few places. Such a shame! The car was still safe to drive since the seat mounting bolts/bosses were not rusted and the belts were likely ok overall. But that kind of ruined it for me. If I get another 3gen I will ask if I can look under one corner of the carpet, unless it's a western or southern car.

But it was still a stunner of a car. Talk about turning heads! FbodFather signed the shock tower for me too

Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking. I'm currently negotiating on an '83, L-69, 5-speed, Z/28...........WITH T-Tops. Something to consider.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:37 PM

Hmmm. Now you've got me thinking. I'm currently negotiating on an '83, L-69, 5-speed, Z/28...........WITH T-Tops. Something to consider.
If the car's from the midwest, definitely at least put it on a hydraulic lift at a dealer (lots of Chevy dealers will do a 'safety inspection' for free) and look for floorpan rust. If you can convince the seller, also take a peek at the floorpan by removing one (preferably the driver side) of the rear bottom seat cushions - just one bolt to do that - then pull up one carpet corner and take a look. I hope someday to get another 3gen... but will definitely be watching out for rust.

I've wondered before, if the 5gen will have galvanized steel body panels like just about all the other new GM vehicles today. I do recall checking on this before I got my 05 GTO, and found out it does have the galvanized coatings. So that's a good sign
Old 06-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Here are some pics of the '83.

Interior still needs some TLC. I've already removed 10 lbs (or thereabouts), of dog hair and Wisconsin farm dirt.

Last edited by Z284ever; 06-08-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:03 PM

Hey BigDark&Fast. Your's looked like it sat lower than mine. Did it have factory springs/shocks?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:27 PM

57 year old timer, has a 2002 SS, SLP, Hooker Headers, cam, cold force air, tore off all badging and replaced with 1969 SS badging, put American Racing Vintage mags on, 275's in front and 315's in rear Nitto drag radials. 12.85 in quarter mile. Hockey stick strips.

Not interested in a Camaro that looks like a Cadillac STS look-a-like with a slightly meaner grille. GM boys lost their ***** when they were asked to retro a 1969 version for the 5th gen. What a joke. Challenger and Stang hit the mark with their retro.

GM needs to look at getting into and designing four wheeler's because muscle cars are an alien abstract to them apparently.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:40 AM

Niiiiice Z284!

To the guy above me, you MIGHT JUST be stuck a little on 1st Gens too much LOL.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Hey BigDark&Fast. Your's looked like it sat lower than mine. Did it have factory springs/shocks?
My springs were stock. I did get all four shocks replaced

Your pix bring back some nice memories... you got a very nice car there!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
My springs were stock. I did get all four shocks replaced

Your pix bring back some nice memories... you got a very nice car there!
Thanks.

It's actualy running pretty good now. Feels like a 'peanut cammed' TPI. I'm having alot fun with it. It's nice enough to be seen in, but not so nice as to require streaming video from the National Weather Service like my '89 does. Also, I don't have to worry about rings, watches, zippers or belt buckles when I work on it, again, unlike my black '89.

I've got a strut/shock/spring package coming in any day now. The struts/shocks are shot on it - yet it still handles pretty decently. The new set-up should lower my ride height about 1.2".