2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Why They Won't Show It "getting on it"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:41 AM

Why They Won't Show It "getting on it"?

Obviosuly, it's a strategic reason why it is not (yet) shown ripping through the gears, but does anyone know why not? I'm itching to see it do just that and I was just wondering the reason why they only give us small tastes. Perhaps to get us more excited?
Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 AM

Re: Why They Won't Show It "getting on it"?

I figured the reason they haven't gotten on it in public was to avoid any embarassment in case something broke. Maybe some of stuff on the concept was cobbled together with the main desire to get it presentable for the NAIAS show and durability not being a main concern?? Remember the still shot of the coolant leak? I know "$hit happens", but it seems a little odd to me that a car with so little road time would be overheating. Be some pretty bad press to have videos on the internet of it breaking as soon as it's driven a bit rough.

I AM convinced that they're beating up on test mules (under an unassuming body) now for the reliability/longetivity tests though. No source, just my belief that this thing is farther along than what people think. Hell, look at the computer "blueprints" of the chassis and suspension that leaked out in early Janury. That just screams to me that they were pressing on with building a "real" rolling test bed more than 6 months ago.

............just my opinion of course.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
I figured the reason they haven't gotten on it in public was to avoid any embarassment in case something broke. Maybe some of stuff on the concept was cobbled together with the main desire to get it presentable for the NAIAS show and durability not being a main concern?? Remember the still shot of the coolant leak? I know "$hit happens", but it seems a little odd to me that a car with so little road time would be overheating. Be some pretty bad press to have videos on the internet of it breaking as soon as it's driven a bit rough.
I think red explained what happened in another thread.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:25 AM

I think I can safely say because its a concept

its one of a kind
you could blow a motor
break a rear
or worse wreck it
when you do a burn out, burnt rubber gets thrown against the paint literally and would have to be removed before the next show. Might not be bad for a production car, but an irreplacible car it is.

anything other than kit gloves could leave a ding or a dent in a car that is one of the pride of GM and would show up in everyones personal photos when they go to see the car.

Bad publicity of inperfection in paint, fit or finish would reflect on the company, like Im sure the unorginzation of this post reflects on me lol.

Its supposed to be a show piece... somewhat like the guys who wipe their painted and chrome engine bays with diapers only the car represents GM quality...
Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 AM

Because it is a show car and one of a kind and the real car will not be the same in every way it will stay a one of a kind. The car is programed in the PC to not let it go over 60 even with them driving it on the proving ground so I guess it would also keep it from doing burn outs. It already has a scratch on the edge of the top on the drivers side and Scott is fuming over how it got there.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:45 AM

Probably because it's only an LS1 under the hood and they don't want it to look too slow.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS

I AM convinced that they're beating up on test mules (under an unassuming body) now for the reliability/longetivity tests though. No source, just my belief that this thing is farther along than what people think. Hell, look at the computer "blueprints" of the chassis and suspension that leaked out in early Janury. That just screams to me that they were pressing on with building a "real" rolling test bed more than 6 months ago.

............just my opinion of course.
Do you have any of these "blueprints"

I would really like to take a gander at them.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:15 AM

They do rev the hell out of it though...most of the clips i've seen.

I agree though, i'm sure they want to keep it perfect.

Last edited by QATransAm; 06-14-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
Obviosuly, it's a strategic reason why it is not (yet) shown ripping through the gears, but does anyone know why not? I'm itching to see it do just that and I was just wondering the reason why they only give us small tastes. Perhaps to get us more excited?
Because all that car's parts were formed and assembled BY HAND, the components have not been certified safe or durable, and the entire ride cost over $1,000,000 to put together.

It's a CONCEPT, not a production car, not a prototype, and not even a engineering mule. It's only purpose is appearences to gain public reaction and corperate approval..... that's it!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Z/28lover
Do you have any of these "blueprints"

I would really like to take a gander at them.
"Blueprints" may be a bit strong of a term. When I get a little more time this afternoon I'll try to find them unless someone beats me to it.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:03 PM

Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 PM

I was amazed when those pics first came out.The car is so much further ahead than GM will admit.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:05 PM

wow.. that underbody looks relatively smooth! It looks like everything tucks in nicely.. wonder if its feasible to have a smooth underbody pan with diffuser on this car...
Old 06-14-2006, 01:55 PM

2000SilverLS1 beat me to it.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:11 PM

No prob, I was bored and had the pics on hand.

Quick Reply: Why They Won't Show It "getting on it"?