3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

1986 z28

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 08:47 PM

1986 z28

I am not quite sure what I am looking for or if I am going about it the right way, so any imput would me really appreciated.......My passenger side floor ( in the front seat under the dash) has been getting soaking wey whenever I use my AC. It appears to be water, not coolant. Unfortunately, I have been too busy at work, and neglected to react to this quick enough and my carpet of course, got moldy. So, yesterday, I started the process of removing my carpet, so that I can figure out where the water is coming from, fix it, and recarpet. What a nightmare this is becoming!! I have had to remove EVERY PIECE of trim from my center console to my headlight switch, to my stereo, to my lighter, etc.. etc... in order to get the big front piece off so that I can see what the heck is going on! AM I doing this incorrectly? Is there an easier way thab taking apart the whole frony of my car? Everything is so layered up and tight under there!! I am about to have a breakdown... And now to my second question...What exactly am I looking for? (No, I am not totally crazy!! I was just hoping the answer would be obvious) I thought it might be the heater core, but that would be coolant not water, right? Then I thought maybe the evaporater, but could that make the floor puddle the way it has been? And I keep hearing about some sort of consendation tube, but none of my books (Hayne, Chiltons, or Factory) show such a hose...and I haven't seen one . Does anybody know where this hose is located? HELP!!

p
Old 09-18-2002, 10:01 PM

Do this.

Start the car and run the AC for a minute or two. See if there is water dripping onto your driveway. There should be. Most likely there won't be. Or it might be just dripping a little bit.

The water should be coming from a little tube at the bottom of the air conditioner. Look for it in the engine compartment up close to the firewall, below the heater hoses. It is most likely clogged up with slime, goo, mud dobber nest or something. Once you clear that out it'll probably spew a bunch of water. The water is most likely getting the floor wet because of condensation filling up the AC housing. Then it leaks out onto the carpet. Even if that isn't the problem, pulling your carpet out isn't gonna find the problem unless there is a rust hole in the floor and you've been driving in the rain.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.