3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

3rd gen tranny swap...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 01:50 PM

I have a tremec 5 spd for sale if you want. I took it out for the t56. And no the t5 wont last a day......dont listen to people who say it does, cause they just got lucky.
Old 09-17-2002, 02:08 PM

for you lucky guys w/ a t5, others might not be that lucky. the point is we are talking about funds$$$ and strength. if you build up a t-5 not knowing what to expect, you might burn two big holes in your pocket having to go to a t-56 because the t-5 busted on you.

like my old football coach Tony P. said " do it right, do it light. Do it wrong, do it long."

Albert R.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:48 PM

I wouldn't gamble with a stock T5.

That's just playing too far against the odds for my taste...mating a tranny to a 383 that GM wouldn't even trust to hold up to a stock 350 doesn't seem like a smart idea. And I'm not all that lucky, either.

Not interested in sales at the moment because I don't even currently have the car. I'm just doing a bit of research for the future on what my best options are.

I actually thought of doing a full-out race car, probably with a blown 400 or 455, but I realized a car like that would be absolutely no fun outside of the track, and I really don't want to go full-out with a roll cage, massive tires, and a car that can't do anything but go in a straight line. Want something streetable and fun to drive, hence the manual transmission.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:09 PM

I would think that adapting all the pedals, crossmember, console, and all that mess would about pay for a nice 350 4bolt to make that 383 out of. That (I think) was the point in starting with a manual geared car. That way you could also drive the stock car while building the donor motor and transmission. Then sell the original motor and transmission when you're done and make a little of the $$$ back. Plus all the little details are already there in the manual car. Finding all the parts and putting them into the auto car can be a pain.

That is the way I'd go if I was doing this project. Up to you though.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:02 PM

Reliability isn't the only reason (nor even the primary reason in my opinion) that it didn't show up on the 350. The L98s only exceeded the T5s torque rating by a few ftlbs. I'm sure it could have been beefed up to handle a couple more ftlbs. I believe that emissions had a large hand in the T5 not showing up in the L98 as well. From what I've read, GM couldn't get the L98 to run clean enough with the manual transmission. I think this is why the L98 vette (always available with a manual) had a pre cat in front of the main cat.

That's not to say that you can't still scatter a World Class T5 in minutes, but it's not like it's guaranteed to grenade. So far mine's doing just fine. *crosses fingers*
Old 09-18-2002, 03:58 PM

Well I have no experience with blowing T5's, but then again I've never had one in a car either. When I blew my 700-R4 up and decided to go to a manual trans. (for the enjoyability) I heard only bad things about the T5. That and the gearing flexibility of the T-56 made me decide to go the 6-speed route...the hardest part of the swap for me was finding a tranny. To run a T-56 behind a SBC you HAVE to get the LT-1 trans. The tranny from an LS1 car WILL NOT work without a different front plate, different input shaft, and various other things. LT1 trannies are in high demand, but you can find them for $500-$2000, usually with most of the parts for the swap. (I got mine for $500 cause the guy thought it was shot, replaced a $16 shift fork and it runs perfect now.) It's not a hard swap to do, unless you don't know which way to turn a wrench, and I love havin 6 forward gears. If you decide to run a T-56 email me and I'll give you all the little tips and tricks, as well as a list of parts you'll need.