Old 04-16-2003, 12:14 PM

Question 3rd gen upgrade madness

Ok, to start out, I've got the following:
Black 1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible
305 TPI engine
4-speed automatic transmission

Other than wheels, it's bone stock.

Now here's what I would LIKE (dont know if it's even possible) to do:
LS6 engine (or, if not possible, an LS1)
Supercharger
Manual Transmission (obviously)

I realize the LS6 seems overkill, but hey, how cool would that be? My questions are: Is it possible? Has anyone ever done it? Since I have a convertible, what exactly am I going to have to do in terms of body re-inforcement?

Any other words of wisdom, warnings, flames, etc.. would be most welcome.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:36 PM

Re: 3rd gen upgrade madness

Originally posted by Damen
Ok, to start out, I've got the following:
Black 1989 Camaro IROC-Z Convertible
305 TPI engine
4-speed automatic transmission

Other than wheels, it's bone stock.

Now here's what I would LIKE (dont know if it's even possible) to do:
LS6 engine (or, if not possible, an LS1)
Supercharger
Manual Transmission (obviously)

I realize the LS6 seems overkill, but hey, how cool would that be? My questions are: Is it possible? Has anyone ever done it? Since I have a convertible, what exactly am I going to have to do in terms of body re-inforcement?

Any other words of wisdom, warnings, flames, etc.. would be most welcome.
First of all, in my mind theres no such thing as overkill. Also nothing is impossible. Im not sure if the mounts match up on an LS1 block in a 3rd gen but I would assume other than the wiring harness it wouldnt be that hard of a swap.

Questions, is this going to be a daily driver, sunday driver, or pretty much saturday night special race only? And I always see people wanting to switch to a manual. Whats your reason. I dont have anything against manuals but if its not already a manual whats the use in going to all the trouble and cash to make it a manual?
Old 04-16-2003, 12:39 PM

It is a daily driver now, and I'd like for it to continue to be one if at all possible (I already get crappy gas mileage, so it getting worse isnt gonna bug me any). I just like to be able to take it down to the track on weekends for a little fun

As far as switching from automatic to manual, well, if I'm putting a new engine in it anyway, the switch to manual isn't gonna be so tough, plus I'll need a new tranny anyway with the more powerful engine.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:40 PM

Check this link. It has all the information you will need.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/show...hreadid=157243

SB
Old 04-16-2003, 12:47 PM

WOW, thanks much for that site, it's answering very nearly every one of my questions. My big remaining one, however, is for body re-inforcement. With the convertible I have, and all the torque that this is going to generate, I know I'm going to need to strengthen it up a bit. Any thoughts on that particular problem?
Old 04-16-2003, 01:21 PM

How about sub-frames, or even a cage?
Old 04-16-2003, 03:02 PM

It is a daily driver now, and I'd like for it to continue to be one if at all possible (I already get crappy gas mileage, so it getting worse isnt gonna bug me any). I just like to be able to take it down to the track on weekends for a little fun

As far as switching from automatic to manual, well, if I'm putting a new engine in it anyway, the switch to manual isn't gonna be so tough, plus I'll need a new tranny anyway with the more powerful engine.
Its not as easy as you may think. Ive never done one before Ive only ever messed with autos, but Ive heard that the hydralic clutch systems are a bastad to put in the car. Plus not to mention the money you have to dump into a T-56 anyway. It would be easier and cheaper to just get your R4 built tough and buy a stall for it. Stalled auto better for drag racing anyway. But I do have to admit if your gonna daily drive it a T-56 would be more fun.
Old 04-16-2003, 03:58 PM

easier to work with ls1, cheaper to build it to LS6 specs too. cheaper and a lot less work to incorporate existing pieces and build a small block. make alot more power for less. sub frame connectors and a cage are your best choices for strength.

remember, anything can be done if you have the money. question is if it's worth it to you and does it really fit in your budget? if it does then the sky is the limit.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:37 PM

are you actually going to do this? holy crap thatd be such a sweet ride!
the guys at ThirdGenResource put an LS1 in a vert. contact them and see what they did for reinforcements. i live near their shop and probably goin over there tomorrow to ask about LT1 swaps so ill see if i can get some info for ya

Last edited by Black6SpdTA; 04-16-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:32 PM

I sure plan to. I've been waiting forever to get this car, and now that I've got it, I'm willing to sink as much money as it takes to make it happen. Plus, come on, who'd see this coming from an IROC

Yea, I've read about the thirdgen resource Z28 with the LS1 (I'm planning on buying the third gen SS style hood from them), and I'd love to hear their input, thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:25 PM

i believe that they also sell the 3rd gen LS1 motor mounts at third gen resource too. check thier web site
Old 04-17-2003, 08:33 AM

Motor Mounts/Trans Crossmember/Torque Arm:
http://www.thirdgenresource.com/conversion_parts
Headers:
http://www.thirdgenresource.com/LS1_headers
Old 04-17-2003, 08:49 AM

Just out of curiosity, how much can a 305 TPI be built up? I mean, I keep hearing people say that I could just build it up to something more powerful, but I really dont see how far I can take a 195HP engine. Enlighten me folks, please.

I mean, if it's possible to get the same kind of power out of my 305 that I can get out of the LS1/LS6, I'd be interested to know how. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:58 AM

well keepin your TPI, itll be hard to get the same power because the TPI can only handle up to what 4500 rpm, 4800 maybe? while an LS1/6 redlines at like 6200? plus just the displacement factor. itd be real hard especially if you want to keep it a daily driver
check out this guys car he went carb and is runnin 11.60 but its basically a full out drag car. http://www.cardomain.com/id/baddest305

good luck!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:59 AM

Just out of curiosity, how much can a 305 TPI be built up? I mean, I keep hearing people say that I could just build it up to something more powerful, but I really dont see how far I can take a 195HP engine. Enlighten me folks, please.

I mean, if it's possible to get the same kind of power out of my 305 that I can get out of the LS1/LS6, I'd be interested to know how. Thanks again for all your help.
On the rare occasion that mine runs well it will move pretty well. The cam in mine is a little big and I dont have a stall ocnvertor, so its kind of a dog off the line, but 2nd gear is awesome. I bought a stall for mine but it was the wrong one. For some reason mine has an 82-83 700-R4 tranny and I bought a 30 spline convertor. So now I have a brand new useless $250 peice of junk in by garage.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen upgrade madness