3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

454?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by MC454
And to make sure everyon knows, Im a welder and beginner mechanic, with a ASE certified mechanic as a bro-in-law who owns a multi-mil dollar shop (largest and most technically advanced in the area) who also used to be a top pit-crew mechanic and then started building race engines for drag cars in Cincanati (sp?) Ohio.

So I wont have to worry about lack of knowlege

Later

Mark
cincinnati
Old 05-13-2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by MC454
I hear everyone talk about how impressive a 454 is, but when I drive the suburban it doesnt have overly impresive power,
#1 The suburban should be in the 6000-7500 pound range. Not exactly a speed demon.

#2 A factory 454 in that era only produces around 250 hp at the most.
Old 05-14-2004, 08:00 AM

So is that not the 454 I would want to put in, or would it be easy to put out more ponies than that?

Cincinnati... got it (thanks)

Last edited by MC454; 05-14-2004 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:56 PM

A late model production 454 is very low HP. Nothing that some minor head work, cam swap, headers and intake manifold can't fix. The base is roughly all the same. Chances are the engine is low compression (8:1). You have to start with something. Don't be impressed by engines like 454 LS6 or the aluminum head LS7. They have nothing the aftermarket can't make better.

The biggest thing about getting the engine is to get it as complete as possible. Make sure it has all the accessory brackets, water pump etc. Those are specific to the BBC and SBC parts won't work. The distributor is about the only thing that's the same.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:20 PM

Stephen 87 IROC i have do disagree the Ls6 flows about 300cfm and has alot of meat for porting.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:14 PM

I didn't say they were bad, just don't spend a lot of money just because someone claims it's an LS6. Chances are you're not going to find one for cheap anyway. Even finding a plain 454 core isn't always cheap. Many aftermarket heads are equal or better in performance to factory heads and have better castings to work with. Same goes for intake, carb, pistons. A base model 454 can easily make 500 hp with a few simple changes and is a lot cheaper to make that kind of power than trying to build a very high HP SBC.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:56 AM

A base model 454 can easily make 500 hp with a few simple changes and is a lot cheaper to make that kind of power than trying to build a very high HP SBC.
THANK YOU! I`ve been trying to tell many board members that same thing, but it`s like talking to a brick wall with some
Old 05-16-2004, 09:35 AM

You might also want to consider the extra weight on the nose of your car if you do a big block swap. You may need a stiffer suspension setup to get the car back to a reasonable height, and it probably won't handle as well. You could offset this a little if you used a fiberglass hood and some aluminum heads and such, but all that stuff costs money.

I would think it'd be far cheaper and simpler for you to build a mild small block to put in a third gen. The fit won't be nearly as tight, heck, you could probably even change plugs and wires somewhat easily. Not so with a big block. Small block parts are cheaper than big block stuff. You have substantially less weight with a small block than a big block (better acceleration and handling), sbc headers for a third gen are easy to come by, you could probably run tall valve covers with a sbc that would give you room for roller rockers (not so with the big block), and you won't have to worry quite as much about the rear end, though you'll still probably break it, you won't have to worry as much about upgrading the cooling system (bigger radiator) and getting all that stuff to fit, the list goes on and on.

Bottom line is that this swap can be done, but it ain't easy. I'm not doubting your knowledge about cars or your funding sources or anything, but it'd be a job and a half to swap in a big block. The reason the big block in the suburban feels weak is, like everyone else said, it's a smog era engine that might be making about 250 hp, and it's in a huge truck. If you want to swap it into a camaro as-is, you could make a lot more power with a mild small block with a lot less hassle and headache. If you want mega monster horsepower out of it, like above 450, you'd probably be cheaper building a big block to that power level than a small block, but if you get into power like that you're going to have to replace darn near the whole car to keep it reliable. How much money do you wanna spend?

You could probably build yourself a decent, fairly stout small block up over time for fairly cheap, especially if you shop smart and get used parts and stuff when you can. A built small block will also give you plenty of power to play with, break every speed limit in the U.S., toast your tires into an oblivion, eat a whole lot of ricers for breakfast and otherwise generally keep you into trouble. Plus your car would handle better and you'd come out a LOT cheaper, and with more power and better handling than just sticking the bbc in as-is.

If you want to go all out and aren't afraid to spend a lot of money (engine build, tranny build up and swap, rear end swap, better brakes to compensate for the weight, suspension beef up, cooling system upgrade, cowl clearance and modifications, hood clearance, valve cover clearance, the list goes on) Then by all means don't let me stop you, go for it, have fun, and post videos and pics when you're done. Just consider your other options as well, and be realistic abou the money you have to spend and such. That is also assuming you can do all of the work involved yourself. If you did a sbc build, keep in mind you could always keep the 'burban as a tow to the dragstrip, a parts truck, and a winter and bad weather vehicle.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:13 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

I agree with Jbird. Not only that- the rotating assembly is so heavy, that robs power too.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:43 PM

Jbird is right about two things....it`ll wiegh more and cost more period.

1. Plugs are easier than ANY small block in a third gen

2. Full roller rockers fit under stock cast aluminum short covers.

3. Stock three row brass/copper replacment cools my .100 over 454 fine with stock fans

4. what you put in is what you get out, go cheap get poor results , goes for any motor

5. Brakes, trans, rear, all can be upgraded down the road when it`s time.

How come most everyone is basically against anyone having something that is somewhat different, I bet if he wanted an hsr and lingerfiler bumpstick and paxton and everything else that all the other sheep had, it would be all cheers
Old 05-16-2004, 01:27 PM

Then again the big block only ways about 150 pounds more than a small block, so it isn't going to make much of a difference weight wise. You also don't have to replace the coil springs like every one says you have too. I have helped put V6 springs in a Z28 before, and have swapped 350's into former V6 cars with out upgrading the springs.

Martin
Old 05-16-2004, 01:39 PM

u dont have to put the diff spring in the front for the big block. I did the swap about 4 months ago and the ride hight has not changed. I also have a fiberglass hood tho ... and lighter seats stuff like that
Old 05-16-2004, 05:08 PM

That's pretty cool that plugs are easier, roller rockers fit under the short covers, and you're doing good as far as the cooling goes. Don't get me wrong, I love big blocks, and I think a big block swap would be great, but I just wanted to let the guy know what he's up against. Before I was 18 there's no way I'd have been able to afford a bbc swap on anything with clearance issues, and especially practice enough restraint to keep the rear together.

Hey, if he thinks he's got the money and skill to do it, I say go for it. Big blocks are the dad, no question about it. I just wanted to bring up what all could be involved so he'd know kind of what he could be up against before hand. I was really surprised about the plug changes being easier, and didn't realize rr's would fit under the covers. It's also great that your car is cooling your bbc adequately, I suppose if the cooling system is in good shape in the project he chooses, cooling issues may not be too bad then. Thanks for the corrections, you learn a little more every day.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:59 AM

How About a Big Block Forum?

Stephen and Greezey could moderate. The big block question always comes up, and it really boils down to this: what have you already got, and what are you willing to get? If you have a decent F-bod and a "complete" V8 of any shape (SB or BB), your work will be worth it in the end. The more work you do, the less money you'll spend. The more money you spend, the less you'll have to do. Either family of motor will produce impressive numbers with enough time and money. My project is a plain jane V6 and an ambulance engine. One could argue thet a small-block would work better, or that I should hunt down a V8 car, or that a pair of Swedish turbos mated to the six would be the setup. But I've already got the basic parts!
Old 05-25-2004, 07:48 AM

HI GUYS IM NEW HERE BUT I VE BEEN DRAG RACING FOR ABOUT 10 YEARS. MY FAMILY HAS BEEN INTO DRAG RACING AND HOT ROD CARS FOR EVER I THINK. IM CURRENTLY BUILDING A 84 Z WITH A 472 ITS SITTING IN THE CAR BUT IM WAITING ON HEADERS FROM ED QUAY. HE SELLS THEM FOR ABOUT 600 WITH 2 1/8 PRIMARIES. I DONT THINK THAT IT IS GONNA WEIGH THAT MUCH MORE THAN THE SMAL BLOCK WHEN YOU CONSIDER MY BIG BLOCK HAS ALUMINUM WATER PUMP INTAKE AND HEADS. IVE REMOVED ALL THE SMOG STUFF GOT RID OF THOSE HEAVY MANIFOLDS AND ALL THE A/C STUFF.YOU ALSO HAVE TO CONSIDER THAT A POWER GLIDE AND AN 8 INCH CONVERTER ARE A GOOD BIT LIGHTER THAN THE 700R4. MAYBE IM WRONG BUT I DONT THINK ITLL BE TO HEAVY PLUS THE FIBERGLASS HOOD AND ALUMINUM RADIATOR.

Quick Reply: 454?