3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

82-84 f-bod with an AMC 390 and 4spd?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 09:03 PM

82-84 f-bod with an AMC 390 and 4spd?

i want a put a 390 4spd from an AMX in too an 82-84 f-body you think the car can handle that engine and tranny?????????
i saw another local guy do it it was a fast strong car i was wondering, what all it take's to build one??????
how he got the f-body to hold the car together.

Last edited by mikey dragster; 07-31-2003 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:56 PM

Do you have this combo just sitting around or something? Why on earth would you do that to a Chevrolet? If someone has already done this swap then I'm sure it could be done. But why? The car would most definetly handle the horse power seeing how the chassis really haven't changed in the last 20 years or so and don't foget the TTA. But why? If you want a good fast, strong car build up what you have or find a gen1 small block (the engine not the car but they were in them) and build that sucker up and make it a stroker, pick your size. Please don't do this. Chevy engines, go into other cars not other engines going to Chevys. Also look at the cost difference between a small block Chevy and a small block Mopar. Because that's what it is. Are you trying to come out of the closet or something? Why do want to do this? Don't take offense to anything a said, most of this is a joke. Bottom line, are you rich and nothing better to do?
Old 07-31-2003, 10:00 PM

well i got time on my hand's. lot's of bordum man.
and i got hursts/samx i'm building as well but i got a spare 390 4spd laying here??????? so i just asked wanted somthing different????
Old 07-31-2003, 10:26 PM

I didn't know you swing (AMX). Just kidding. Honestly though I would sell it and build up something else. But then I don't like the whole MOPAR deal. I don't know why I just do. They are nice cars though but they are lacking on the styling aspect. Try squeezing in a bb chev. since you have alot of time on your hands. That would be kick ***.
Old 07-31-2003, 10:29 PM

69 68-70 amx's were pre mopar amc. and i hate mopar enough it will stand by that statment. " PRE MOPAR AMC".
Old 08-01-2003, 09:06 AM

Good we can agree on something. We both don't like MOPAR slow car. But again I wouldn't do the swap. Since your so into these AMX's then maybe you should keep it for another project. It's not like you see these things everyday, or every year for that matter. Well you do!
Old 08-01-2003, 10:17 AM

Yeah if you want and have the ability to swap that engine and tranny in, it is possible. The hardest part will be the clutch linkage, but this will happen as quick as your ZL-1 swap http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=145401

I wouldn't pay much attention to this post, most of what this guy types is a load of b.s. which I believe is intended to rile people up. Other wise he is completely ignorant.

Martin
Old 08-01-2003, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by 82355
I wouldn't pay much attention to this post, most of what this guy types is a load of b.s. which I believe is intended to rile people up. Other wise he is completely ignorant.

Martin
Old 08-01-2003, 11:09 AM

easy there fella.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:23 PM

Everything I write is a load of b.s? Right! I also do things to rile people up, not true. He wanted to do a swap that seemed off the wall to me and I gave him my opinion. I also gave him some true facts. If me saying that I hate MOPAR then you should also start on the thread starter. What have I said that is ignorant? I told him that if it was already done then it is definetly possible. I also told him that the car could take this kind of swap which is true. I would like to know where I'm being ignorant in any post that I have made and where I like to rile people up. You got some issues and if I pissed you off then sorry, but the thread starter got my jokes and didn't seemed to be too upset by any of this. He asked for advice and some questions so I anwsered his questions. I don't come on here to start flame wars and **** people off and I definetly am not full of b.s.. I would like to apoligize to Mikey Dragster because his thread is starting to go south. You don't know me or my what I have or have not done. I do know that I am a tech. by trade and I do alot of different things when it comes to engines and vehichles and I've rebuilt anything from a 3.5 hp Briggs to a 903c.i. Cummins. So please don't try to act like a big bad *** when you don't know anything. for you, maybe you'll have a better day now.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by I burn rice too
Everything I write is a load of b.s? Right! I also do things to rile people up, not true. He wanted to do a swap that seemed off the wall to me and I gave him my opinion. I also gave him some true facts. If me saying that I hate MOPAR then you should also start on the thread starter. What have I said that is ignorant? I told him that if it was already done then it is definetly possible. I also told him that the car could take this kind of swap which is true. I would like to know where I'm being ignorant in any post that I have made and where I like to rile people up. You got some issues and if I pissed you off then sorry, but the thread starter got my jokes and didn't seemed to be too upset by any of this. He asked for advice and some questions so I anwsered his questions. I don't come on here to start flame wars and **** people off and I definetly am not full of b.s.. I would like to apoligize to Mikey Dragster because his thread is starting to go south. You don't know me or my what I have or have not done. I do know that I am a tech. by trade and I do alot of different things when it comes to engines and vehichles and I've rebuilt anything from a 3.5 hp Briggs to a 903c.i. Cummins. So please don't try to act like a big bad *** when you don't know anything. for you, maybe you'll have a better day now.

Dude wait a second! We were talking about Mikey Dragster not you.
Man to tell you the truth, I respect you a whole lot. You seem to really know what you're talking about.

-Rippin
Old 08-01-2003, 01:32 PM

HEY MR. I BURN RICE TOO. IT'S ALL COOL.
I DON'T GET MAD AT THIS CRAP.
just got odd **** laying around i enjoy doing odd combination's that's all. if hasn't been done or sothing you only seen once. then i try to do the odd combo's. there are people the swap ford in chevy and chevy into ford . and i'm sure mopar is out somwhere getting swapped around too. i figured i got an extra 390 4spd here and i knoe i could get a 82- 84 f-body that need's motor for prolly just a few buck's.
most of these sight's are full of "KNOW IT ALL KNOW NOTHING'S"
but i'm not here to call name's.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:51 PM

Oh, woops, sorry about that. You got me fired up there for a second. (maybe longer). I've never read a post from this guy so I have no idea, that or I just blocked it out. I don't know. Carry on. If you could, please let us know who you're talking about so I don't get stupid again. I already have high blood preesure and I'm only 26.
Don't do this combo! Your taking a perfectly good F-body, regardless of the blown engine. Why would you take another F-body out of the show? In the next 5-10 years these cars will be in a demand. I hope anyways . If you throw that crap in there you'll probally be hard pressed to sell the thing seeing how the after market is so small for those AMX things. PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS. I love the F-bodies regardless of the year or engine and I actually shed a tear when I found out that they were going to do away with one of the greatest cars ever built. When I wrecked my car I ran around the car screaming and didn't relize that I had even hurt my self as bad as I did. (spent 2 1/2 days in the hospital.) I felt like I had killed my best friend. PLease don't hurt one of my other friends.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:15 PM

I just read one of your old posts. Sorry to turn the tables on your azz but now I'm a little p.o., again! Maybe now this is going to the right person. I personally don't respect people who talk bad about the F-bodies, espiecally the god of all the Z-L1. Even the Mustang guys I know respect these cars just as I respect the Mustang, because it is and American tradition and is a part of our culture. I just prefer the F-bodies. Maybe you should find an AMX forum or quit talking about ruining our cars so people would stop giving you crap. I now know where all of the anger comes from.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:22 PM

Sorry I didn't explain myself further I burn rice too. I was talking about this mikey jokester guy. I chase his illiterate, grammatical error posts all over this forum telling people not to listen to them. Do a search on his posts and you will see what I am talking about, actually follow the link I gave in the first post for a good laugh. There for a while he was recommending a 292* 575 lift cam and 3.73 gears to every one with a TPI engine.

Oh and I have worked on Briggs and Stratton engine as well as Cummins. I have a degree in diesel technology, and am 2 months shy of a degree in automotive technology, I have worked at independent automotive shops, a semi fleet shop, an International (tractors) dealership, and a John Deere dealership, not to mention growing up on a farm and having worked on all forms of different mechanical devices my whole life. I still have a lot to learn, but I don't go around giving out bad info, and I like to try to steer people shy of crappy info like mikey characters give out.

Quick Reply: 82-84 f-bod with an AMC 390 and 4spd?