3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

86+ Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 11:57 PM

86+ Owners

http://pub26.ezboard.com/f93fbodymes...picID=11.topic
I couldn't pass it up and figured that I'd share it for those who may be interested.
Old 12-19-2002, 02:18 AM
Eternal Member

That is a good deal. I want to change my car over to speed density so I can loose my MAF sensor. I am at about 390 flywheel horse power and getting rid of the maf and running a 4 inch TB inlet tube along with a big cone K&N filter with ram air under the car. In GMHPP mag they did a story on this and they got 16 RWHP without the ram air box. Sounds like at least a extra 20 RWHP. That would be good for about 33 FWHP. That would be good for under $500.00 bucks. I am installing a NOS kit and can use the extra air. They said the MAF sensor is only good for up to 335 RWHP and then become a restriction. I am getting very close so it's time. I am hopeing with the NOS to be over 400 RWHP with a 100 shot and be in the mid to high 11. All the guys in the area with 3rd gens are stepping it up this year so I don't want to get left behind.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:22 AM
Banned

Couple of issues I have:

1. According to this board, it is for a LT1 which you don't have, I am assuming.

2. You would need to change your harness to go Speed Density. Might be easier and cheaper to put a high flow MAF meter instead.

3. According to this guy, he said "I do not like to tune Supercharged or Turbo cars through the mail, but if you have a scantool and monitor your engine and have the right setup I can do this. I also can dyno tune these cars as well. Email me with your particular setup and I will see if I can help you out. " How does he tune the chip? Via your email if you are NA? I had my chip tuned by 2 people only. One of them needed it at their facility for test runs (Lingenfelter Perf. Engr) and they needed to make several runs to get it just right. The other www.fasterproms.com burnt it according to my specs the first time then had me get scantool readings and reburn it twice after that to get it just right. How is he doing it in 1 time and getting it just right?
Old 12-19-2002, 09:09 AM

You can contact him directly at chips@pcmforless.com
As far as the LT1 and speed density issue goes it is not a concern for you. He said that he can do 86-93 becasue they are the same basic idea or chip or something. I can't answer that too well but rest assured that he can do them. I am not up on the comp. issues , just a deal when I see it. He will make the chip per your info provided. He has certain things that he does with certain mods. I would guess it is almost like a library of files for certain mods/cars. To get the best answers ask him directly, I am simply trying to explain it the best I can. I know that if you look at similar work it is much more costly than his, some by hundreds of dollars. He will redo the chip for 6mo. for FREE in case you add or change something. If you send him datalogs or similar readouts he will fine tune it for your car.
Like I said, I would ask him directly becasue he is very helpful and friendly.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:26 AM

$100 for that guy to burn one chip? I'll pass. Buy the equipment for yourself and you can burn all the chips you want. It takes a little while to learn, but for less than $200 you can have everything you need to do it yourself, and instead of just 1 chip, you can keep tweaking it until it's perfect. Thirdgen.org has a tech article for anybody that has a legitimate interest in it. I bought all the stuff over the summer and I burned a couple chips already. There's so many bins out there that I'm sure almost anybody can find one that's 90% perfect for their car. Then it's just a few tweaks to get it to 100%.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:41 AM

If you would rather do that, good for you. I don't have the time or comp understanding to want to undertake that task. For 100 you get one chip but he will redo for 6mo for free so that you get it right or 100% as you say. If you have the knwoledge and will constantly be doing large changes to the vehicle then maybe you are better that way. But for 100 you won't find anyone to make you a custom chip. Thanks for your info but I'll stick with my original plan.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:48 PM

$100 chip or my $3000 motor

Which would I rather keep?

Think about it brotha, we are just trying to help.

The reason we are telling you to shy away is because a chip that is burned incorrectly and, lets say its lean at Wide open throttle,..... 1 run at wide open throttle melts your motor. Literally...

Be safe man.