3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

87 Stang GT vs 89 Formula WS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 08:53 AM

yeah, i have to agree, those cars are pretty quick... stock, with all the tune ups you can possibly do, you can get it hitting from mid to low 15's... once you start sticking aftermarket parts, it's only going to get faster
Old 12-16-2003, 10:52 AM

i have to warn you on the conquest
my uncle owns one, i've researched them because i was actually thinking of gettin one as a second car
1)they are very complicated to work on because they were very far ahead of their time
2) if it's an auto, they break easy, 5spds can handle it alright
3) parts and even mods are not cheap by the least, and it is very unlikely that if you need someone to do the work for you (mechanic) that you'll find one that will do it for you
4) they aren't the most reliable cars, that should be enough info on that

check starquestclub.com and check out some stuff there for more info
*I* think it would be wiser to go with the formula or a camaro or something for ease of work, mechanics who can do stuff for you and understand it, and just a whole whole lot cheaper
this is just my opinion and you're entitled to your own
i just wanted to throw some facts out for ya just to make sure you makethe right choice
o, and 87 is a bad year for conquests for...i believe the fuel pattern or the ecm from that year, something like that
go onto that site and ask them. the years to look for are 88-89s.
although you can't ignore the fact that conquests are really cool
Old 12-16-2003, 12:06 PM

Hey, thanks for the heads up man. I'll definitely check that site out.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:57 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

I'd get the stang. Lighter, faster, more parts available.

As for TBI vs TPI- they both suck. I say get the car you want, throw in a motor you like and carb it.

Sounds easy, huh.

Steve
Old 12-16-2003, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by 90formula5spd
Well that question sure came outta left field, but as far as i kno the LT1 intake is longer than a L98 intake or something like that, thats why you cant use it, dont think you can convert
No theyre both 350 SBC. Heres a page about it

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0803phr_beast/
Old 12-16-2003, 08:41 PM

i stand corrected, even tho i was never sure lol yea conquest isnt the most reliable but if you read alot about em and kno you car you can make it work as a reliable car, THEY ARE SO DAMN COOL
Old 12-17-2003, 04:35 PM

I own one of both camps cars.If I had to choose between the two,it would be the Mustang all the way.Parts are cheap they are quick and a real Hoot to drive.I have owned 2 Birds,2 Camaros,and now 3 Mustangs.I really like my 91 Mustang.It is a stock 302 with a E cam,Shorty Headers,X pipe (no cat) and 2 chamber flows,3:55 gear,5 speed car.And runs 13.50's Those are the only mods.And don't belive that crap about getting to a certain point on a 5.0 and having to put a blower on it.It is a engine just like a 350 (just short a few cubes)Ford heads suck.It's all in the heads.There are quite a few N/A mustangs out there running quicker times than mine by far. Are far as the Conquest goes me personally I would stay away.Thats just me though.

James
Old 12-17-2003, 04:40 PM

Whoops one thing I forgot. That 87 you were looking at, I would stay away from it.The 87's were a speed density system.I would hold out for a nice 90-92.Usually everyone(If the plan on doing mods) change there speed density system over to a Mass air system.Ford Racing sells a kit to do it with a new PCM and everything but I think it is like $400-$600 to get the kit.
Also If you planned on spraying it at all,stayaway from the 93's thats the year they went from forged pistons back to Hyperutectics.

James
Old 12-18-2003, 01:24 AM

i didnt think formulas came with tbi,all the one ive seen were tpi,especially with the ws6 package.i think its just a regular firebird.you might want to get the vin #'s and and check them out.and im pretty sure you got that backwards.in 87 they had a mass airflow setup.in 90-92 they were speed density.at least my 90 formula 350 was speed density and all the other ones of the year that i saw were also speed density.and my friend 87 formula was a mass air setup.

Last edited by nexus6; 12-18-2003 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:41 AM

hahaha, i checked the VIN before i bought my car and i did research, there are many Formulas out there with a 305 TBI, the Formula 350s didnt have TBI but the 305s did, how is it this hard for you guyz to accept a formula is a TBI, ah yes i have the WS6 package too.
chris
Old 12-18-2003, 07:51 AM
Pro

Yall think TBI is slow in a car? Try driving one in a TRUCK. Heavyness + pussyness = slowness. My truck is going TPI sometime next year.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:21 AM

why would you pull that TBI from your truck? Does your truck need to be fast? The TBI is a very reliable and well made motor, and it has good low end TQ, which is perfect for a truck, if i were you i would wait till it blows to replace that, it is good for a truck, unless u need to go fast...
chris
Old 12-18-2003, 08:31 AM

90formula5spd, I am guessing that you have not driven a TBI truck. I own a 95 3/4 ton suburban witha tbi big block. What a gutless wonder. With induction and full length dual exhaust, and a chip, it has just started running ok. It needs help.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Pro

Originally posted by 90formula5spd
why would you pull that TBI from your truck? Does your truck need to be fast? The TBI is a very reliable and well made motor, and it has good low end TQ, which is perfect for a truck, if i were you i would wait till it blows to replace that, it is good for a truck, unless u need to go fast...
chris
My truck doesnt NEED to be fast, but it also doesnt have to be slow.

I love the TBI for it's ease (I have had NO problems with the motor what so ever... 137k miles on it currently). But it would be fun sometime to just throw on a TPI. Im buying an old Infiniti G20 from my parents in about 8 months or so as a travel vehicle to/fro work, so Ill have my truck and car as projects.

Old 12-18-2003, 09:43 AM

no i have not driven a TBI truck but i have driven a ****ty little 4cylinder ranger, that thing has no ***** either but it doesn't need it, it had the low end TQ it needs, im sure chevy did not make a truck that never ran well, just wouldn't be very logical, and it if didn't run well b4 why did you buy it? lol, im not trying to be a jacka-s-s here but it was just an opinion, i understand if u have the money and just feel like it but if i were you pro, i would just put that money into my 91, but hell thats me and you kno what you want i dont, have fun guyz
chris

Quick Reply: 87 Stang GT vs 89 Formula WS6