3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

91 RS 350... power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 07:23 PM

Question 91 RS 350... power?

I will be purchasing a 91 RS Camaro with a 350 in a little less than a month, and it is completely stock from engine to body to exhaust. I plan to put a K&N filter on and dual exhaust to start out with.

What would the best exhaust setup be? I'm thinking of getting headers with true duals and flowmaster 40's. I have no experience with cars (only full sized trucks), and don't know if this is a good idea. Someone told me that true duals would actualy hurt the performance on this car, and a better solution would be to just take from the cat back with duals, and don't touch the rest. is this true?

What would the "best" setup be for mid RPM range horsepower/torque? Tube size? True duals? 1 muffler or 2? I'd like to get a very loud sound, but I need to have a cat and muffler on there... I asume a flowmaster 40 would be a good bet?

This will be all I'm going to do to the car for a few months (maybe even 1/2 year), but later on I'd like to get vortec heads, a better cam/rocker combo, and an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. Should I set up my exhaust any different knowing what I'm going to do to the engine later on?

Thanks yall, I appreciate any info yall can give me!
Old 12-14-2002, 07:51 PM

i'd recommend going with a 3" catback of your choice. biggest decision that usually comes with this choice is what kind of tone you want. You can end up with a nice catback with a good deep tone like a flowmaster for as low as $250 or you can get a borla adjustable catback and spend $5-600.

Personally I run a flowmaster single 3" dump catback and SLP 1 3/4" headers and it offers a a combination that pulls hard to about 5000 rpms.

I'm sure some people will chime in with other options that are as good if not better so keep an eye out.
Old 12-14-2002, 09:10 PM

I would actualy like to have the exhaust dump out after the axel and not have the typical aftermarket dualexhaust look.

Where would the best place to dump the exhaust on a camaro be? Where is the muffler at anyway, is it like a truck and inbetween the front and rear axel? ooh, side exhausts exiting before the rear tires would be different

SLP headers ay? I'll look into them. Just stick the stock cat in there after the headers mirge together, and use a cat back? Or is a new "high flow" cat actualy worth the $150 some odd dollars?

Thanks again for any info!
Old 12-15-2002, 12:28 AM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

Re: 91 RS 350... power?

Originally posted by Error404
I will be purchasing a 91 RS Camaro with a 350 in a little less than a month, and it is completely stock from engine to body to exhaust. I plan to put a K&N filter on and dual exhaust to start out with.

No such thing as a 91 RS with a stock 350 engine. They came with 3.1L V6's or 305 TBI. There was a special police package with a TPI engine but its rare.

K&N air filter is a given, but dual exhaust is tough to do on our cars, and I dont think its worth it. A regular cat-back is fine.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:11 AM
Eternal Member

I would go with the SLP headers and a spin tech 4 inch catback. If you are going to build the engine you could use it. To run a dual exhaust everything would have to be custom made. It would cost alot more. I would run Hooker LT with out the cats then a x pipe with the 3 inch muffler then turn the exhaust down in front of the axle, or turn the pipes out the sides. Without the x pipe you are not going to make as much power. We have about 7 or 8 cars in our club with the duals and that is how I know about the x pipe. Unless you are going over 450 HP I would use the Spintech. Either one is a very good system. As was stated find out about how the 350 got there. With the right parts you can run with the LS1.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:20 AM

I was under the impression that if you run a single cat back over 3" you actually hurt the engine; it scavenges the overlap( I think that's right, not too familiar with the stroke cycles) cycle too much and pulls excess heat through the manifolds/headers and can make overall temps skyrocket. I'm not sure if what I'm talking about is correct, but I do remember reading a Car Craft tech article about a guy running headers that were too big and the headers glowed red hot.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Banned

If you ran 1 3/4 headers for a 305 TBI, you would lose the scavenging effect of the headers. That would be in effect using one exhaust charge from a cylinder to create a vacuum to draw out the next cylinder's exhaust charge.

A couple of years ago, I took off the exhaust after the cats and ran it in the quarter a few times and ran it with the exhaust on. Gains or losses were inconclusive. I disconnected the exhaust from the end of the headers where they dumped into the cat and ran it with the exhaust pieces in the trunk to keep the weight constant and did not find a gain or loss that is noticeable with a 383 motor.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:39 PM

If its a 305 tbi just run the Hooker 2055 headers, catco 3" in/out cat, and any 3" catback. Its about the best performance on a budget setup out there IMO.

Really if I had to do it over again, the first thing I'd do - before exhaust - would be good gears and a posi.