3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

91 RS what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 01:22 PM

Question 91 RS what to expect?

Im in the process of purchasing a 91 RS with the 5.0L TBI engine(Im guessing its the 305 ). Honestly I dont know any thing about GM engines. My first car was an 85 Firebird, but it had the crapy 2.8 V6. so I was wondering if you all could give me an idea of some of the common problems I might run into with it.
The engine is a little rough sounding, but the first thing Im gona do is a full tune up so hopefully that will smooth it out, but aside from the tune up what should I expect later down the road that is normal have to deal with type stuff for this car/engine?

Thanx for any input
Old 01-01-2003, 02:41 PM

yeah its most likely a 305, im not a huge fan of Throttle Body Injection though, Tuned Port Injection in my opinion is better. The engine to get is a 350, they are faster and better engines in general. but if you buy this car and its running that rough..why dont you take it to a garage before you purchase it to have them give it a look over so you dont end up with a lemon like i did with my firebird. alot of shops will look it over for free
Old 01-01-2003, 04:38 PM

when I got my camaro it was a turd (alot of people still think it is ) things to look for is does it somke?drive good? you dont want to buy a car and have to sink alot of money in it unless you have that in mind. but take it and get it looked at before you buy,even if they do charge you 30-50 bucks it might save you from buying a car that needs more work than you are willing to put in it.Good luck
Old 01-01-2003, 04:40 PM

Thumbs up

Oh and I forgot WELCOME TO THE BOARD
Old 01-01-2003, 05:02 PM

Well thankfully it's not running to rough, you actualy cant tell it runs rough at all until you pop the hood and actualy listen to it. Im guessing it's slightly out of time, bad plugs/wires or some thing to that effect. also Ive already got the full CarFax report on it, and it came back clean all the way across the board.
Ive loved F-body cars since I was a kid and ever since I got my Firebird 7yrs ago (R.I.P. ) Ive wanted another F-body. Im just kind of wondering what type of common problems Ive got to look forward to(like the trany problems the car I have now is known for which Im happy to say Im still gona have, but sad to say has more HP than the Camaro Im getting)

And thanx for the welcome
Old 01-01-2003, 06:06 PM

Well if the car is an Auto, I have heard good and bad things about the 700r4.In stock form I think they are pretty weak if they are built right they are pretty good. The 10 bolt rear end will handle some abuse but not too much. In all of the f bodys I have owned (4) the alternator has puked on me at least once if not more. Partly cause I buy the EL Cheapo Autozone rebuilds. Other than that all of my F bods have been the Funest most reliable rides I have ever owned. Glad to see ya getting into a 3rd gen.thats what all mine have been.They just look so SWWWWWWWEEEEEEEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James
Old 01-01-2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by 91 Redd Sledd
The 10 bolt rear end will handle some abuse but not too much. In all of the f bodys I have owned (4) the alternator has puked on me at least once if not more.

James
So I guess I can safely smoke the near bald tires that are on it a bit b4 I have to replace them lol and it looks to have a new alternator so I shouldnt have to worry about that for awile.

Also one of the first things I want to do is change the air filter, so I was wondering if I could go to some thing like this
AC Delco Chevrolet Air Cleaners
Old 01-01-2003, 08:29 PM

ill tell you the BEST air filters to get are from K&N. They are supposed to increase your HP and they are quality. AC delco is ok but i recomed the K&N totally
Old 01-01-2003, 08:33 PM

ok and another thing..when doing the tuneup do a cap and rotor as well.. for your plugs and wires spend the extra few bucks on the better brands trust me on this..they last longer better quality. rapid fire plugs do the trick well...ac delco in my experience makes a cruddy spark plug lol
Old 01-01-2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by IrocAngel77
ok and another thing..when doing the tuneup do a cap and rotor as well.. for your plugs and wires spend the extra few bucks on the better brands trust me on this..they last longer better quality. rapid fire plugs do the trick well...ac delco in my experience makes a cruddy spark plug lol
I plan on trying the ACCEL performance U-gruve(sp?) plugs in it. Ive got them in my Intrepid and they were a major improvement over Champion plugs that most trep owners say work best. for wires I was planing on trying ACCEL 8mm wires.
Im also going to change the oil to Valvoline Maxlife. it will also start getting Exxon 93 octane gas.
any thing you all know these engines like to run best on?

and sorry for so many questions, I just wana try and get every thing that I can ready for when I bring the car home.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:09 PM

If you are buying it for speed then plan on getting at least a different inj. syst. like tpi.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:29 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats on the purchase.....Now those nice premium plugs are good on paper, but you cannot beat a good Delco plug. I have experimented with those Speed plugs (thats what I call 'em) in my '87 Camaro (carb = ) and they felt good but not worth the extra money. ALWAYS RUN 93 OCTANE!!!!!! Detonation is your enemy and you want to avoid it AT ALL COSTS!!!!! Example-My L98 died of excessive detonation due to NOS system . Stay away from over the counter chips...Get one burned from fastchips.com. You will pay a little more, but you will get what you pay for!!!! K@N's are good to go with and a tune up is definitley a must. This board is probably the best place to come with ANY QUESTIONS!!!!! They have helped me alot and I have returned the knowledge to others. Have fun and be safe!!!!!

Later

OH YEAH....Powerbrake the car!!!!! This will tell you if the engine still has the power in it. If you blow the tires, you basically have a good engine. If it stalls and will not break tires loose....CHECK IT OUT WITH MECHANIC or take a Compression check on each cylinder.

Later
Old 01-01-2003, 10:41 PM

Another good chip burner is Ed Wright. I have one of the fast chips in my 91 and I am very happy with it. The name of the company is Fast chips by Ed Wright.I think it cost me @ $175 shipped.

James
Old 01-02-2003, 01:21 AM

Asking your questions here will get you more informed results:

http://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/foru...?s=&forumid=17

Lots of folks there claim to be having their 305 TBI cars running in the 14 second flat range
Old 01-02-2003, 02:27 AM

buy the rs i bought a 1991 rs form a guy in east windsor, connecticut for 7000 but it only had 90,000 miles only driven in the summer never been out in the bad weather also it has no rust. inside and out this car looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor

and i turned it into a sleeper by pulling the 305 TBI and putting in a carbed 383 putting out 450HP and close to 500 ft lbs of tq

this baby cooks

so buy the RS!!!!!

NO ONE EVER SUSPECTS THE RS

Quick Reply: 91 RS what to expect?