3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

92Z Dual Cat setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:44 AM

92Z Dual Cat setup questions

I have a few questions about a friend's 92 L98. He's noticed a loud rattle from underneath which we suspect is one of the cats going out. He's wanting to replace everything unless it's a heatshield or something simple. All I've heard about from him is headers since I put a set on my 95. My setup is Hooker Super Comp Shorties into a dynomax bullet muffler, then to a mufflex catback with a spintech muffler. We don't have emissions on anything but OBD2 and my setup will pass a visual in half the places around.

We're trying to figure out what the best route to go would be and need some advice from the experts. I've searched on here some, but probably not enough. Would it be best to so a single cat 3" setup similar to my 95 or leave the dual cat setup? This is on a basically stock car (K&N and flowmaster) that will stay pretty much stock except exhaust.

The dual cat idea I had was find a set of headers and y-pipe to go with the dual cat setup and run this in place of the cats.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I know it would be a little work, but it seems like a good idea. Any experience with a setup like this? I like this idea because he's thrown around the idea of running true duals later on and it seemed like this would be one thing he'd already have in case he decided to go that route. Let me hear it, thanks!
Old 05-26-2006, 12:40 PM

Re: 92Z Dual Cat setup questions

I went thru a similar problem with my car. A loud rattle from the cat area. Turned out to be a piece of glass stuck between the exhaust pipes, I think right in front of both cats. One pipe is acutally cocaved to put both pipes close. I took a pry bar and worked between the pipes back and forth and finally it dropped out. If it's a heat shield, while it's making the noise, push on it will a long screw driver/pry bar. If it stops the shield is loose. If it doesn't it's probably internal and replacement is the only option.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:15 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

Re: 92Z Dual Cat setup questions

Its most definitely worth it to keep the two cats on there. 4 cylinders flowing thru a pipe is better than 8. For headers, look into the Hooker 2055's. They're the best for a stock engine. Its also my opinion that its not worth the time, cost, and hassle of running dual exhaust. There is very little room underneath our cars. A single 3.5" i-pipe after the dual cats will fit and work just as well as duals.