3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

aftermarket computer chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 04:31 PM

aftermarket computer chip

How much do the hp and tq gains vary between aftermarket chips. How big of power gains should I expect to get with a different chip? What are the prices on some of the better chips?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:19 PM

If you get a hold of www.Fastchip.com Their chips are $350 & they take in all mods you have done to your car. If you havent done mods & dont plain on it then DONT get a new chip.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:30 PM

i think our friend here is refering to aftermarket chips such as Hypertech Thermo master or a Jet chip, if your looking at somthing like that i would suggest you get the new thermo and new fanswitch. as a whole, all of those things working together, you will fell a difference, its not going to be much. they say 10 to 15 hp/tq?
Old 04-14-2004, 05:56 PM

has anyone tried the chips found on ebay? Some sellers on there make their own homemade chips and they claim to give on average 20 hp and 20 tq, and the price is only like $8.99 with free shipping.

Sound like a rip off or not?
Old 04-14-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by ed's85irocz28
has anyone tried the chips found on ebay? Some sellers on there make their own homemade chips and they claim to give on average 20 hp and 20 tq, and the price is only like $8.99 with free shipping.

Sound like a rip off or not?
If it is a Hypertech Thermomaster you are looking for, than you are in luck.......I have one for a TPI 350 MAF. I would sell it to you cheap....I pulled it out when I put my Crate in and went with the Ed Wright Chip.

Email me if you are interested.

Later
Old 04-14-2004, 06:27 PM

e-mail sent
Old 04-14-2004, 07:19 PM

Back at ya eddie
Old 04-14-2004, 08:06 PM

Heck I have a Hypertech stage 2 chip as well for a 87 Auto 350 car.

Took it out when I went with Fastchip.com.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:17 PM
Banned

Nobody I know of gets the calibration right at one shot. Nobody has been that good. The way to get it done is to strap it to a dyno and make the adjustments. You can get it close in the first try but you need a dyno to fine tune it. An alternative method I have used is to use Diacom to record what the ECM sees and email it to the chip makers and they make adjustments based on that. I use www.fasterproms.com and for $350 they send you a chip that is roughly close and you can borrow their software and install it on a laptop and take readings. That way the road is your dyno. You email them the results and they send you another chip and repeat till it is finely tuned in. Anyone who sends you a chip without tweaking it and telling you that is the best it can be is bogus and making a SWAG. Lingenfelter had to take my car for a ride and have his assistant take readings and make 3 or 4 burns till he got it on the money. If he needs several runs to do it, I cannot imagnine anyone we know of doing it once and getting ir right off the top of their head.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:25 PM

My car is running fine with the chip I got from Fastchip.com. Have not had it on a dyno yet. & it starts & runs great. All we had to do was mess with the timing on it & the TPS.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:01 PM

fast formula, you have mail again
Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Banned

Well, it will run but whether it is optimized or not is another question. When you buy an off shelf like a hypertech or superchips, is is at best a minor improvement. Fastchips and what not are a better improvement but nothing has been proven to beat an adjusted chip where they take readings and make adjustments till it is nuts on. Lingenfelter took several hours to get it just perfect. His first try made the car run much better than stock but the final one was the best.
Old 04-15-2004, 01:30 AM

i sold my superchip for 10 to a kid who didn't know any better just to get rid of it. my hypertech is on my desk as a reminder of the wasted money these parts are as well as an expensive paperweight and i won't even get into my tpis stage 6 chip which ruined my last motor.

don't waste your times with off the shelf chips as their variables are only slightly different from the stock units and not worth the money. if you are going to have something burned it should be from someone who knows their programming and has the car in hand. these chips while they can be relatively dialed in without the car cannot come to their full potential. a wrongly burnt chip can wipe out a motor very very fast.....

i wouldn't even worry about it unless you have a highly modified setup but it's just my .02

Old 04-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Banned

Actually, I had my chip optimized by Lingenfelter and it made a difference. All I had on was the SR intake sustem and the headers.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:47 PM

i had my tpis chip modified (which is just a stock gm chip with changed variables) and it seemed fine except for bad gas mileage. had it modified by another company and it improved ever more. car ran just as good as my stock L98 motor.

800 miles into the new motor and it was gone. word to the wise just be prepared and don't assume anything. if you recieved a chip over the phone that worked with no problems that's great.

Quick Reply: aftermarket computer chip