3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

A ??? for all the 3rd gen people

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 06:00 AM

A ??? for all the 3rd gen people

My wife and I have decided to get rid of her cougar since we really dont need a brand new car to drive one mile to work. She has expressed an interest in muscle cars and even in (gasp!!!) modifying them. So one of the possibilities we're looking at is a late 80's to early 90's third gen. However, my knowledge of these cars is very limited as of now. Just wondering if ya'll could give me a heads up on your overall experience with them. Things like: Reliability, performance, what models to stay away from, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:08 AM

third gen

I have an 88' IROCZ with a 388 stroker TPI (look at my sig. for mods) I haven't heard of any models to stay away from, but the TPI (305, 0r 350) is limited to whatever rpm range the runners are designed for, and they make a lot of low end torque. Any thing you do to the 350's TPI to increase air flow will make a difference becasue the TPI was designed for the 305. MAF is more dynamic than the MAP systems (MAFs can adjust to internal mods MAPs can't. ..ie camshaft)
MAF = Mass Air Flow
MAP = Manifold absolute Pressure

End Of the World = Me minus my 88'
Old 08-04-2003, 11:02 AM

The thing ive noticed about these cars isnt really third gen camaro specific but 10-20 year old car specific. When your buying a car that is 10 years old or older but isnt 20 years old yet just about everything on that car is old enough that its about to break but not old enough that its broken yet. It also seems that when third gens do break they tend to break expensive. I'm not going to go out and say third gens are a lot worse then any other 10-20 year old car but theyre definitly not the most reliable cars on the road. As for engine options id go with a 350 (because why not you can get one for the same price as an identical 305) and depending on what you prefer being carb or tpi that will determine which years you would want to be looking at.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:11 AM
Pro

Re: A ??? for all the 3rd gen people

Originally posted by USHotRod
My wife and I have decided to get rid of her cougar since we really dont need a brand new car to drive one mile to work. She has expressed an interest in muscle cars and even in (gasp!!!) modifying them. So one of the possibilities we're looking at is a late 80's to early 90's third gen. However, my knowledge of these cars is very limited as of now. Just wondering if ya'll could give me a heads up on your overall experience with them. Things like: Reliability, performance, what models to stay away from, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Depends on how comfortable your wife wants to sit. Getting in and out of my z28 SUCKS. Well, one reason might be because the seats are very springy and worn out (sits about 2 inches lower than it should). Hopefully replacing with newer model seats will help. SEems like the 4th gen leather seats are much more stiff and sit a little bit higher up.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:00 PM

Also something to think about....id strongly reccomend the 350 because its just more fun but how good of a driver is your wife? My bolt on 350 (headers, gears, shift kit) when turning left from stopped at a red light giving the car half throttle is more then enough to put the car sideways. This will be more true in the tpi systems because of the gobs of torque that it makes but the 350's are really powerful and not everyone is up to driving one.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:25 PM

If you can get your hands on one, a 91-92 530 would be the best years to have. They look the best with the Aero body kit, and they have most of the kinks worked out of the system by then.

Add exhaust, a stealthram, and a built tranny your then ready to rock.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by doug791
Also something to think about....id strongly reccomend the 350 because its just more fun but how good of a driver is your wife? My bolt on 350 (headers, gears, shift kit) when turning left from stopped at a red light giving the car half throttle is more then enough to put the car sideways. This will be more true in the tpi systems because of the gobs of torque that it makes but the 350's are really powerful and not everyone is up to driving one.
Thats where I see a problem. Shes never driven anything but FWD econoboxes. (88 Dodge Shadow, 87 Dodge Charger, 01 Cavailier, 02 Cougar) So yes I am a litte concerned about safety. Another thing Im looking at is perhaps a mid 80's Monte Carlo SS. Theyre heavier (I think) and the 302 probably wont get away from her. Any info on the Montes would also be apprciated.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by USHotRod
Thats where I see a problem. Shes never driven anything but FWD econoboxes. (88 Dodge Shadow, 87 Dodge Charger, 01 Cavailier, 02 Cougar) So yes I am a litte concerned about safety. Another thing Im looking at is perhaps a mid 80's Monte Carlo SS. Theyre heavier (I think) and the 302 probably wont get away from her. Any info on the Montes would also be apprciated.
Reliabilty is a huge factor when buying a car and the fbody's don't have much to offer...if your going to buy an fbody you better know a little something about the car...for your wife, that resume is lacking in RWD and power no offense...in my 305 I can't even drive in the rain because I'll spin out if I give it a little more than half throttle (left turns at red lights are killer, I've lost control a few times do to carelessness (sp?)) but since work is only a mile away it may prove to be a fun investment...I say go for it
Old 08-04-2003, 01:15 PM

I'm looking at buying a 3rd Gen Myself. But as for your wife i'd stay with her when she drives the car. At least until she gets used to it. I've had very little experience with RWD. But i'm getting more and more as my dad lets me drive his '01 Dakota Quad Cab. And btw he's got a 4.7L V8. It's tricky driving it at first b/c your not used to all of that torque. But as she drives the car it will come to her naturally. She'll learn what to do and definitely what not to do. But anyways good luck on finding a 3rd Gen your definitely making a good choice in buying a Camaro.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:04 PM

i dont know why but i feel the need to state again third gens and reliability for the most part dont go hand in hand. Yes there are some people who buy their third gen and never even recieve a hicup from the car let alone major problems however these people tend to be amongst the fewer side. If you buy a third gen be prepared to replace anything and everything.

and btw i personally dont like the skirt package on the 91-92 but thats all personal preference
Old 08-04-2003, 02:13 PM

Yup, I'd go with an 87-90 IROC-Z. If you're concerned about safety get a 90-92 (even though I'm not crazy for them) since they have air bags. Get a 305 Auto since lots of power isn't needed. These cars, like almost any car, are extremely reliable if taken care of. Spend the extra money and get 1 with no more than 80,000 miles.

Last edited by IZ28; 08-04-2003 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:26 PM

90 also has an air bag.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:47 PM

Don't let the "too much horsepower/torque" scare you. My wife drove my 94 Z28 with about 325+ hp almost every day. I hate to say it but women don't usaully have the problems that the guys do. My wife would always ask me why I always broke the tires loose and got sideways and she didn't have a problem. The real question is this what your wife wants or you? If it's you, get it, if it's her, then you can get away with mods. Trust me I've been down that road. I betcha that she'll love that car to death, a few quick sprints down an open road and she'll be hooked. When I wrecked my car I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days and when my wife called me she didn't even ask how I was, just the car. When I told her it was totaled, she started screaming at me on the phone because I wrecked "her" car. See what I'm getting at? GEt the car and get the one with the 350 tpi 91-92 and your wife will love it. Maybe even look at the LT1 4th gens, they aren't that much more. And every car has problems, it's just life!
Old 08-04-2003, 02:55 PM

Reliability of a 3rd Gen?
I created a thread that might help you out. Hopefully it'll get a bunch of replies.

-Rippin
Old 08-04-2003, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by Rippin92RS
Reliability of a 3rd Gen?
I created a thread that might help you out. Hopefully it'll get a bunch of replies.

-Rippin
'Preciate the thread. I think we've got it narrowed down for the most part. Goes as follows:
-87-92 Camaro 'vert
-87-92 Firebird (hopefully a 'vert) Chicks and 'verts. Oye.
-85-87 Monte Carlo SS. What Im trying to talk her into.
-88-93 Mustang GT.
-88-94 Bronco. Could be fun.
-88-95 Wrangler. Not sure how to feel about that one.

Power isnt so much a "must have." I just want her to experience how a true american V8 feels and sounds. That way its not so much of a hassle when Im trying to talk her into getting a 2007 GTO.

Quick Reply: A ??? for all the 3rd gen people