3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Alright help me out with this lame instalation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:50 PM

Angry Alright help me out with this lame instalation

I killed my in tank pump, so I biught an aftermarket mechanical pump. Somebody told me how to find the place to put the pump, its in the front of the block, on the passenger side should have a cap over it.

Just like was said there was a place with a 4 bolt cap over it.

I got my pump today went out to insta.ll it, and the space that gets uncapped is way bigger than the part of the fuel pump that mounts up . It looks like the fuel pump will mount flush over the top two holes, but then there is still a big hole left under it.

Whats the deal? Are there different kinds of mechanical pumps? With different surfaces. Is there another randomly placed hole in the block with a cap over it in realatively the same place as the fuel pump hole?

Hopefully this is just somehting simple thta iM overlooking cause Ive never installed a mechanical one before.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:34 PM

**Shakes Fist**

I said help damn you!

Old 08-29-2003, 03:44 PM

There are different types of pumps one is a two barrel pump and a four barrel pump. Make sure the guy at the part store gave you the correct one.
Old 08-29-2003, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by Buck89RS
There are different types of pumps one is a two barrel pump and a four barrel pump. Make sure the guy at the part store gave you the correct one.
Its an aftermarket Holley pump. How do I tell which one I need?
Old 08-29-2003, 04:17 PM

I did some research and came up with a part number from summit racing (HLY-12-327-11), but a fuel pump regardless if you have a 2BBL carb or a 4BBL carb shouldnt matter if it is for a chevy small block it should fit.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:16 PM

Foolish mortals.....

There is no difference in the way a 2bbl pump and a 4bbl pump mount. It's only a difference in fuel delivery capacity.

Darth....you were halfway there when you said the pump will match up to the top 2 holes. There's a steel plate that goes between the pump and block. You put the pushrod in, and then bolt the plate on with the 2 bottom bolts. The plate will keep the rod from falling out of the block while you get the pump into place. Push the rod up with the pump's lever, then put the 2 top bolts in. Use a thin bead of black RTV on both sides of each gasket (behind the plate and behind the pump) or you'll get an annoying little oil leak.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
Foolish mortals.....

There is no difference in the way a 2bbl pump and a 4bbl pump mount. It's only a difference in fuel delivery capacity.

Darth....you were halfway there when you said the pump will match up to the top 2 holes. There's a steel plate that goes between the pump and block. You put the pushrod in, and then bolt the plate on with the 2 bottom bolts. The plate will keep the rod from falling out of the block while you get the pump into place. Push the rod up with the pump's lever, then put the 2 top bolts in. Use a thin bead of black RTV on both sides of each gasket (behind the plate and behind the pump) or you'll get an annoying little oil leak.
You know I was particularly waiting for you cause I figured you would know this....however, before I read this I had gone over to my uncles. He has his El Camnos 350 with stock mechanical pump out on an engine stand and I saw, thre there is a plate im missing. The plate on mine is just solid, cause I had an in-tank pump.

So what would I call this plate if I were to go up to Autozone and ask for it? Ill jut say its for a '78 Z28 or something so they dont give me any problems but I need to know what its called.
Old 08-30-2003, 10:10 AM

autozone might have that plate in the chrome section, and I belive it will be called a fuel pump mounting plate
Old 08-31-2003, 07:44 PM

That sounds about right to me.

If they don't have it in the chrome section they probably won't have it. After all, it's just a steel plate, it isn't exactly prone to breakage. If it's not in the dress up section then your best bet will be junkyards. Look for 70's and 80's full-size cars, trucks, and vans. They all came with smallblock V8's.