3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

BeCool Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 10:26 PM
Banned

Question BeCool Radiators

They list a direct fit for our F-body cars. They also have dual fans which is what I have. Has anyone ever used their product and what do they think of it? How did the install go? Any thing I need to know? TIA.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:38 PM

I have not used the Be Cool radiator, but I read where the install does require some cutting, bending, and fabrication. Not a true direct bolt in. Griffin also makes one for 3rd gen f-bodies. Takes a little fabrication to make it work also. I used the Griffin in my car because it is about $100 cheaper and about the same amount of work. You might check them out. Around $380 from Summit Racing for manual tranny version. Special order, though. Not in stock.

------------------
91 Camaro RS
Too many mods to list here

81 Ford F100 300 6 cyl (daily driver)

Pacific full suspension MTN bike
Pacific front suspension MTN bike
(spare tires for the Ford LOL)
http://www.quick91rs.cz28.com
Old 08-01-2002, 03:50 PM

I have a BeCool in my car. Fits very well. I'll admit is was pricey, but IMO it was worth it in the long run. No major fabrication was required. They give you a piece of aluminum that leans it outwards at the top. I didn't use it. On the bottom side of the core support there were a few small pieces of metal stopping the radiator from fitting where my stock one went - I tapped them flat with a hammer and it slid right in. I even used the stock plastic piece that held the old radiator in palce. email me and I will gladly send you pictures of it in the car.

------------------
1986 IROC-Z, 8pt. cage, 383, Mini Ram, DFI, Art Carr 700R4, 12 bolt.....
Old 08-01-2002, 03:55 PM

i used to have a be cool on my car, now i run a 19x26 griffan. teh be cool is nice, i did have to tweak teh lower hose fitting for it fit perfectly, but i think it was overkill. the car ran the same temp with the much smaller griffan. it just took a touch of fabbing to make it sit right.

later
tim

------------------
NJ SPEEDER
91 Camaro RS
305TBI/700R4
12's Coming Soon
2nd Annual East Coast F-Body Nationals
July 20,2002
www.geocities.com/njspeeder
My MAFB.ORG Home Page
http://www.mycar.net/mafb/registry/detail.cfm?id=299
Old 08-01-2002, 05:06 PM

Not a direct fit, but it does the job. My car runs 190 degrees all day long.

------------------
90 IROC,394 ci,vortech,SR intake, Accel DFI, MSD 72lb. injectors,Accel injector cntrl,Tremec TKO, 9" Ford,NX 150 HP shot, Spohn adj ctrl arms-sway bars-race tqe arm-,Ground Control coil overs & camber plates,EDL tower brace, roll bar,Kirkey seat
my pics
Old 08-01-2002, 11:52 PM

i bought the 31x19 griffith radiator, thats what alot of guys are using on the thirdgen board and the thing is freakin huge, should have went with a smaller one i think.
Old 08-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Pro

Anyone else have experience with BeCool radiators?
I desperately need a new one soon and will be buying one. I dont need a racing one or anything... just something at a good price. I cant afford all that much.

Old 08-18-2003, 12:17 AM

Duke on this board just installed a BeCool with new dual flex-a-lite fans I believe. He trimmed some of the fan mounts off, trimmed the plastic radiator hold down piece a little bit and it fits nicely. His car ran about 185-205 the other night in 80 degree bumper to bumper traffic and on the highway with a 180 thermostat. Maybe he'll post part numbers soon for you guys. Looks like a proven setup so far and I'll probably run something similar if my car ever runs over 180...hehe. I'm assuming he just ordered the Manual trans 82-92 Camaro part number but he'd be glad to share that with ya i'm sure.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by Pro
Anyone else have experience with BeCool radiators?
I desperately need a new one soon and will be buying one. I dont need a racing one or anything... just something at a good price. I cant afford all that much.
If you don't need a racing one, and you can't afford much, why are you looking at a Be Cool? You realize that it costs 4x more than a stock replacement, right?

Anyway, if you don't mind doing a little bit of work, you can get a Griffin for just a little more than a stock replacement. Here's a tech article I wrote about the install:
http://iroc.fbody.com/rad/rad.html
Old 08-19-2003, 11:56 AM

Lightbulb

Hey in my opinion, I would sick with the stock radiator. I'm running the stocker in my Iroc with a 185 thermostat and have not had any problems. I drive the car 2-3 times a week in heavy traffic and it does just fine. The only thing I did though was hook up a manual override for the fans, and got the Painless Wiring 185F switch for the fans as well. Other than that everything is bone stock on that end, the motor on the other hand is a different story. My old stocker was pretty beat up so I did purchase a new stocker from Advance Auto Parts, I think that it was about $125. Hope this helps.
Coop
Old 08-19-2003, 03:17 PM
Pro

Originally posted by COOPS89IROC
Hey in my opinion, I would sick with the stock radiator. I'm running the stocker in my Iroc with a 185 thermostat and have not had any problems. I drive the car 2-3 times a week in heavy traffic and it does just fine. The only thing I did though was hook up a manual override for the fans, and got the Painless Wiring 185F switch for the fans as well. Other than that everything is bone stock on that end, the motor on the other hand is a different story. My old stocker was pretty beat up so I did purchase a new stocker from Advance Auto Parts, I think that it was about $125. Hope this helps.
Coop
Yea that helps a lot, thanks. I just needed to know a round-about price for something like this. I had no idea BeCool was for racing. I was just trying to find a good brand.

Old 08-19-2003, 03:52 PM

Just because it is good enough to be in race cars doesn't mean it's no good for the street.

There are a lot of guys in hot climates that can't keep their cars cool with a stock radiator.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:38 AM
Pro

I drive a 95 Chevy 1500 w 350, stock radiator but flex 250 fans and 160 thermo. Even in 100 degree heat, I never hit over 160. Those fans rock.

Old 08-20-2003, 03:04 PM

Yeah, the mechanical flex fans are great... right up to that fraction of a second before they shoot through your hood.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:15 PM

i have an 87 iroc with a 305 tpi i usually run all the time at most!!!!!! 210 degees. in swealtering heat at idle i hit mid range once. all i hav is a hypertec 200 degree fan switch and it works miracles on the highway forget about it 180 tops

Quick Reply: BeCool Radiators