3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

big block SS hood or IROC turbo hood?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:58 AM

big block SS hood or IROC turbo hood?

well i am getting my car painted here soon and was wondering which would look better. the car is an 86 iroc *see sig*. im getting a new nose (old one was cracked), 91 gfx, new 1/4 panel, door, rear bumper, rear tail lights, hopefully a 1LE gas tank (i know.. has nothing to do with body apperence), a new dash and front speakers and maybe the gauges out of a 91 Z28 (if i can drop them in with no problems). I am debating between these to hood, i have always liked the iroc turbo hood, but i saw the SS big block hood on a 3rd gen and thought it looked sweet. but im not going to put the 91-92 style wing on the car.. im going to fab a spoiler from a 2nd gen on it (i dont feel like waiting for the 5" spolier from american sports car.. it prob aint going to happen anyway.. or if it does.. in 3 years) anywho.. imho the turbo hood would look better with the 2nd gen spoiler.. where as the big block hood wouldnt look that great with it.. but with the 91-92 spoiler it would look decent. so im just fishing for opinions.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:31 AM

Opinions?? That's a loaded word around here I don't like either of them, especially the turbo hood. I don't like the Ram Air hood either. Nothing beats the old fashioned 2 or 3 in. cowl hood if you ask me.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:34 AM

I say go with the big block hood, but thats just because I think the turbo hoods are disgusting I've never seen one on a car that actually mad ethe car look better

I've seen the big blovk hood on 3rd gens that I have had mixed opinions on, some cars look really good with it.... others don't

when the time comes for me to get a new hood I will be going the old fashioned cowl induction hood, but thats just my preference
Old 01-20-2003, 12:37 PM

isnt the ss hood and the big block hood two totally different hoods? ive seen the ss hoods on the 3rd gen camaro and i thought that looked pretty nice although i havent seen it in person. the big block hood looks like a weird cowl hood but sometimes it just fits the image so thats cool too. but if your going to kinda give it a 2nd gen feel doesnt that ss hood look a lot like the 78-79 z28 hood ?

and ive never liked the turbo hood either.

theres my opinion,

later,
Nick J
Old 01-20-2003, 12:42 PM

My opinions...

Generally speaking I think cowl hoods look like trash. I associate cowl hoods with 1st Gen Camaros that have been wasted and turned into all out drag cars. I can't stand cowl hoods. Some cars can look good with them, but I think they look out of place, for the most part.

The "IROC Turbo" hood looks completely HIDEOUS! I can't stand that hood, and laugh out loud when I see a car with it on. Just horrible, if you ask me.

The SS hood is a different story. I happen to just LOVE the hood. It looks really nice, IMO...that's why I have one.

So yeah...I probably just offended people...but oh well. I was asked...heh.

Eric
Old 01-20-2003, 03:38 PM

Hey it is your car so it is your call. But if opinions are what you are after then I'll let you have it. I hate the Turbo Hood with a passion, it is those stupid holes on the sides. I always thought if they would make just a plain 2 1/4" cowl induction hood with the IROC louvers on it in the stock position that would look alright, but I hate the sides of the Turbo Hood. The Big block hood I am 50/50 on I never cared for it until my buddy got one for his car and I got to see it in person. Even then I only liked it because I dislike the '91-'92 Z28 hood that he replaced. The SS hood is another one I really don't care for at all, reminds me of the ram air hoods for third gen Firebirds, clashes because it is on the wrong year of car. I am picky about hoods, I like any cowl induction hood, the factory '82-'84 Z28 hood, and the '85-'90 Z28/Iroc-Z hood.

Martin