3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Bosch 4+ spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 11:08 PM

Multi-prog plugs of any type are not worth the money they want for them.

The theory is that the spark will travel down whichever prong will provide the most power (path of least resistance) but in reality the variance is so marginal that it doesn't make a damn bit of difference...all it really does is make the spark jump around and therefore make the combustion process slightly less stable.

Just get a good quality single-electrode plug. NGK, RapidFire, regular Bosch plats.....and make sure you gap them right when you put them in.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:55 PM

I put a set of them in my Camaro when I bought it last summer, It was terrible!!!! Ran like crap, took them out at the Autozone asked for AC Delco replacements and I was happy with the exchange.. Nothing that I have seen runs better in a Chevy other than Ac Delco...

$0.02

Kevin
Old 01-10-2003, 03:30 PM

Ok, NGK's are looking good, do they have a platinum series? And if so, is there a place local I could buy them? Autozone, Discount?

Thanks for everyones input.

Last edited by ViperXx; 01-10-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:57 AM

yeah I am running the 4 + platinums... they work great... at least compared to the dirty, melted, burned ones that obviously hadn't been changed in 5 years... I honestly don't know why I shelled ou the money for them... some people had told me that they were so great but honestly all I noticed was that I had new plugs... I could feel the difference in power... again from the old crappy ones... I honestly doubt they are any better then single electrode plugs after having them... I'm not spending money on crap like this for my 400... I'd be better off using the money for 2 new wires then 4 electrode plugs.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
I've heard nothing but bad things about the +4s...I run Bosch's regular platinum plugs and they work very well for me but it seems that some people don't like them either.

I hear the splitfire plugs are worthles too.
I agree. My regular Bosch Platinums work quite well. In a year and a half I've had no problems.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Sitting Bull
I agree. My regular Bosch Platinums work quite well. In a year and a half I've had no problems.
Bosch platinums have thee smallest platinum electrode on the market. Very sucky plugs, work as well as +4s do. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news bud.

Get Delco parts for GM vehicles.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:40 PM

Ok, I found the plug at Discount Auto Parts, they have a couple of different kinds, should I get this:
NGK 7401 [IX-Series Stock] Cast Iron Heads
or this:
NGK 2869 [G-Power Platinum Stock] Cast Iron Heads

It says thats for a '89 IROC 350 TPI.. I have a '89 RS 350 TBI (still has 305 computer though)

Last edited by ViperXx; 01-11-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by I EAT T/A
Bosch platinums have thee smallest platinum electrode on the market. Very sucky plugs, work as well as +4s do. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news bud.

Get Delco parts for GM vehicles.
Bad news of what?

That you had problems with them? Or that you haven;t used them?

A very strange comment, bud
Old 01-11-2003, 06:01 PM
Banned

I have used them and found they don't do what they claim as far as power. Besides, I like to change plugs every year just so I can see what the plugs look like. What is the advantage of Platinum? That you don't have to change it so often? I have seen plat plugs last past 75000 miles but they are so worn that the gap is twice what it should be.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:36 PM

The plus 4's are just another gimmick to sell plugs, the extra electrodes just shield the spark from the combustion chamber and will cost hp if you ask me, platinum just makes plugs last longer, that's the only good thing about it,and also platinum is a very poor conductor of electricity so it makes it harder for the spark to jump the gap. I always just use regular AC's or AutoLites, NGK makes a good plug for the money too.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:24 PM

Ok, can anyone tell me which NGK's to get?

NGK 7401 [IX-Series Stock] Cast Iron Heads
or:
NGK 2869 [G-Power Platinum Stock] Cast Iron Heads
Old 01-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Banned

I just get the regular V power and screw the platinum stuff.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:33 AM

Originally posted by aklim
I have used them and found they don't do what they claim as far as power. Besides, I like to change plugs every year just so I can see what the plugs look like. What is the advantage of Platinum? That you don't have to change it so often? I have seen plat plugs last past 75000 miles but they are so worn that the gap is twice what it should be.
I don't know what claims you might be referring to but the single prong Bosches are EXCELLENT spark plugs.

ANY plug left for 75000 miles is going to have a huge gap--even your beloved power Vs.

Let's get realistic here and understand that a platinum plug is good for 2 or 3 years of normal driving. And that IS better than an AC Delco or whathaveyou
Old 01-12-2003, 02:01 AM
Banned

I don't remember but I remember some claim that there was better power or economy or something like that. Of course NGKs will also be gone in a couple of years. My point that I am not getting across too well is that they cost a bunch more and I am not entirely sure that there is more to be gained dollar wise as opposed to the regular non plat plugs other than a little more life. At the end of their life, the efficiency goes down, fuel cost goes up so you will have to change it every couple years. Plat plugs cost more than regular plugs. All it gives me is at most a year or two more than the regular plugs. As such, cost wise, it is probably a wash. In that case, I would rather have the benifit of taking my plugs out every year and seeing the coloration on the plug and see what my engine is doing.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:08 AM

My Bosches cost about $2.25 each. They have come down a lot in price over the last year or so.

Last edited by Sitting Bull; 01-12-2003 at 02:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Bosch 4+ spark plugs