3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Brake Line HELL

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 05:14 PM

Angry Brake Line HELL

wow.....

as I'm typing this I'm about to go through a nervous breakdown.

Yesterday my friend and I were driving, and all the sudden my breaks went right down to the floor. Luckily, nothing was hurt. I pulled into a parking lot and left it there overnight. Today, I took off the front passanger wheel and discovered that my break line had a hole in it. So I went to autozone, and he gave me a new line. I went to put it on and the end that hooks to the steel hose broke off while loosening. The steel hose, at this point, has nothing attached and is just sitting there under my wheelwell. While panicing, I went back to autozone and the guy helpfully told me that I cut off the end of the steel hose, and connect it to the new brake line. He gave me this little tiny gold threaded screw/connector thing. So I went back, did what he said by sliding the connector over the open-ended steel hose, and connecting it to the new brake line. and after 3 hours of swearing kicking and all that, and I had my friend pump the breaks.....break fluid leaked everywhere at the spot that I have the connector. I almost went crazy, seeing as I was outside in freezing weather for 4 hours fixing this. What are my options now? Any idea's? thanks
Old 11-29-2003, 06:56 PM

Is the line rusty where you repaired it?
You must cut it back past any major rust w/o flattening it. You might buy or rent a cheap tubing cutter.

Did you get the damaged piece ALL of the way in the coupler?
I always take the connector apart and slide the screw-cap on the line first then the "ferral"(sp?), the copper "O" ring, then push the steel line into the coupler and screw it back together "tightly!"You'll need a 1/2" and 7/16 wrenches, hold the center and tighten the end TIGHT...It will work, I've done it many times...
Old 11-30-2003, 01:49 AM

This fitting is a DOUBLE FLARE fitting you cant just install the little gold thingy (fitting) and tighten it up. Borrow a double flaring tool and possibly some one who knows how to use it and you will be on your way.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:50 AM

This fitting is a DOUBLE FLARE fitting you cant just install the little gold thingy (fitting) and tighten it up. Borrow a double flaring tool and possibly some one who knows how to use it and you will be on your way.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:07 PM

I thought he was refering to a "compression" type fitting commonly used to fix brake line leaks. I use these with NO leaks all of the time, and when most new cars need an extension to their brake line, as on a long wheel base, they'll use a compression fitting also.
I also cut one flared end off of the new repair line and use a double ended compression fitting.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:45 PM

I think it's just better to go with the industry standard, a double flare.