3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Broke water neck bolt, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by DanTheIROCMan
I don't think there is anyway for me to distinguish where the bolt material ends and the aluminum starts. That bolt pretty much welded itself somehow to the aluminum. I broke 2 EZ-Outs trying to remove it and those EZ-Outs are freakin hard metal.

Also, I may not have drilled down directly in the center of the bolt originally so that through the whole thing off. I don't think a thread rebuild will work. I don't even know if a tap will work at this point because there are no visible threads. I think a helicore is probably my only option.
Damn, now I feel bad. Had this work for me on several occasion, and saved the hole. Sorry this turned out to be such a pain.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Well guys, looks like tapping it actually worked! I ended up going to Home Depot last night and getting a 3/16 course tap package. It included the appropriate size drill and tap. Got home, bolted the water neck down with the one good bolt to create a guide for me to drill straight down. Got a good clean straight hole. Then slowly hand turned the tap all the way down. At first it didn't feel like it was grabbing, then all of a sudden it grabbed and started going downward. Back it back out and viola! Nice new threads. I just didn't think it would work for some reason, but put the bolt in and it is nice and tight. So I will put anti-seize in there and put my car back together with my new fuel injectors and hopefully it will feel like a new car.

Thanks for all the advice guys!!