3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Buying a chip..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 03:06 PM

Buying a chip..

I'm looking at buying a computer chip for my car. I'm not sure the hypertech street chip is what I want and I know Superchip doesn't make one for my car in particular. Any of you guys/gals know of any other companies that make chips? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:29 AM

i had a chip from www.performanceresource.com supposedly the best chip for my car which was an 87 IROC at the time; my money could have been better spent on other bolt-ons. I see you have cross fire, so thats going to make it harder to find anything for your car in particular. I HIGHLY recommend saving your money for a cat back, headers, or shift kit or something else where you'll actually feel or at least hear the difference. take it from me... i did just about every bolt-on mod on my IROC. good luck!
Old 01-03-2003, 02:31 AM

Agreed!

CHIPS are not worth the money. If you knew what changes they make to the chip and slap on $$$$ price tag you would throw up.

Advanced timing in a few places, earlier fan on temperatures and that is just about it.

I have even heard of many people when they bought hypertech or simialr that the car ran worse than with the stock chip!

Save the money like said and get some headers where you will really feel the difference If you have them then get some other bolt on mods you will be much better off.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:25 AM

Thumbs up

If you must get a chip.....get one at fastchips.com-----Ed Wright WILL burn you a good one. Headers on the other hand should be near the top of your list. Alot of guys skip on headers 'cause it is soooo easy to bolt other mods. Get a chip and headers and have fun!!!!

Later
Old 01-05-2003, 08:16 AM
Banned

I got mine from www.fasterproms.com and they do a true custom chip. They will burn you a chip according to your mods, have you get them readings and reburn it and then do it again so it is on the money. First chip is $500 but after that it is $150. That means that in future if your setup changes, all you pay is $150 to repeat the procedure. I have had them do my chip and am very happy with it. And they do more than adjust the timing and fan.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:58 PM
3rd Gen Tech Moderator

There is no such thing as a custom chip thru the internet. Every car is different and no two cars will require the same changes in the chip. The only way to get a good custom chip is to sit down with the car in your possession and use a scan tool to see what the car needs, then make the changes in the chip. Anything else is just getting "close" but not "perfect".

Having said that, I agree that generic off the shelf chips are worthless. Spend the extra money and either get a "custom" chip thru the internet or buy the chip burning stuff yourself and do it.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:12 PM

If everyone would quit buying crap performance chips wouldn't have such a bad name.

I tried them all in my 1991 Formula

- Hypertech
- Superchip
- JET
- Performance resource

Hypertech was the best

The only benifit to the JET was the top speed limiter removal.

On OBD I cars they only control timing, and fuel nothing else.

They are not major HP boosters by any means but they do help and not having a 110mph cutoff helps too.

Last edited by CODY BEHNKE; 01-05-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:04 PM

Four Words for Ya. Fastchip by Ed Wright.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:22 PM

Ill second that Ed is the best. If you're interested I'll sell you my Performance Resource one for 125 bucks. About half of what it'd cost you from them. Alot cheaper than paying 250 or more just to try it out.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:39 PM

Thanks for all the opinions guys. I think I'll just leave it alone.....till the 305 dies of course!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:40 PM

Ed Wright is no better at OBD I than Hypertech or JET.

Even with a dyno or monitor you can only tune so much with OBDI
Old 01-07-2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Kevin91Z
There is no such thing as a custom chip thru the internet. Every car is different and no two cars will require the same changes in the chip. The only way to get a good custom chip is to sit down with the car in your possession and use a scan tool to see what the car needs, then make the changes in the chip. Anything else is just getting "close" but not "perfect".

Having said that, I agree that generic off the shelf chips are worthless. Spend the extra money and either get a "custom" chip thru the internet or buy the chip burning stuff yourself and do it.
I'm with you 100%. The best and most perfect chip your going to get for your money and your time and education is to burn you PROM yourself. I have a Hypertech, which honestly works great, but after seeing and researching self burnt PROM's, that's the way I'm going when I'm ready.