3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

buying my very first camero!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 08:07 PM

First of all I dont agree id doesnt take skill with an auto ….. Not to mention most dont just leave it in drive you still have to know when to shift.
See darth the funny thing about that is that its not entirely true. My friends dad has a corvette that races in the low 9's and i forget the name for it but he has a cord with a button on the end of it that comes out from under the dash. What it does is when you push the button down it switches it into neutral so you can rev the engine up hi and then as soon as you see the green you let go and it switches it into gear. The part that i have a problem with is that my friend also occasionally drags it and they turn the boost down for him so he doesnt kill himself but he still runs in the low to mid 10's. The funny thing being i do my drivers ed with this kid and he cant drive for ****. That kind of shows me that the auto can take away most of the skill.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by doug791
See darth the funny thing about that is that its not entirely true. My friends dad has a corvette that races in the low 9's and i forget the name for it but he has a cord with a button on the end of it that comes out from under the dash. What it does is when you push the button down it switches it into neutral so you can rev the engine up hi and then as soon as you see the green you let go and it switches it into gear.
Ok. But what kind of tranny is the vette running? Maybe hes running a 2 speed powerglide. In which case I think you can do the entire 1/4 without shifting. The 2nd gear is for cruising I believe, but Ive never driiven one so Im not sure how they rev. But the first gear is only like 1.76 or something so I would think you could do the entire 1/4 without shifting. That makes it a little more simple.

And dont get me wrong Im not bashing manuals, or the people who drive them. I wouldnt mind having one so I could have the best of both worlds. It just bothered me that you dont give auto's any respect when they are superior in many ways.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:52 PM

that switch you are talking about is called a trans brake. i doesn't put it in neutral it puts it in reverse and first at the same time and allows true stall.i also allows a load on the trans so its not like a neutral drop.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 PM

yeah darth fair enough. Its just been on my mind for a while and ive been looking for a good excuse to vent it just bothers me that theres stuff out there that can let my friend who cant drive make a car run the drag strip about as fast as is humanly possible. I definitly will have to take your word for all the intricacies of the auto trans. because i dont know all that much about them. im only 16 and havent been exposed to cars much anyways and i admit i definitly dont know everything. Anyways thats my rant about autos =) but im sure they definitly have their merrits
Old 04-10-2003, 01:33 AM

doug791, I hope you have a lot of friends with sports cars and plan on doing a lot of **** to them too. I have a BUNCH of friends that did nothing but tear our cars apart all the time, we spent every penny we earned into making them faster and stronger. As you can see in my sig, i have two irocs with some nice crap done to them and i turn 21 at the end of this month. I was lucky to have the friends i had because of all the experiance i have now. Witch is mostly on Mustangs (5.0's, 4.6's) but still i have my knowledge of LS-1's from other buddys too. If you are as fortunate as many of us on this forum you will learn real quick the advantages of a manual and the advantages of an automatic, once you learn these you can come back to this topic and laugh. You will see that every racing situation is different if you race on the street (i hope on a back rode where i could only hurt the drivers if you race). Street racing is bull****, i love it but it truly is a wast of time in MOST cases. The driver is the main facture in the street race, then tires, racing surface.........THEN maybe the tranny will come into play, but that also resorts back to the driver. So if you want a manual tranny because there "faster" then ok, get it. But if you want one because there fun, well hell yes, they are fun. But in racing, its soooo much easier and your car is most of the time fast (stop light to stop light) then a manual......No flames intended at all, im just telling you kinda how it is since your only 16, plus im tirred as hell and im just rambeling.

Bobby
Old 04-10-2003, 10:51 AM

Just a straight street race IMO a manual is even more unlikely to pull a win than in a full 1/4. In most cases with me anyway street races rarely go a full 1/4 so if you get taken off the line you have very little chance to catch up. But if you have to go into any turns when braking is involved then I have to give the advantage to the manual.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:43 PM

go for the 350 option and hook it up to a nice T-56 tranny... the car will be sweet man, i'm telling you... a friend of mine had a similar setup and the car was sicko!

i'm plenty happy with my 305/T-5 setup... it's good enough for me, but if i had the money i'd def. upgrade to a 350/T-56 setup

GOOD LUCK man!
Old 04-10-2003, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by super83Z
To clear it up ALL original 350 cars had disc brakes. If drums are present the rear has been changed.
if anything you just confused things a little more because my 91 came with a factory 5.7 and aluminum drum rear. all original never been changed. i even had the code sheet to prove it.

later,
Nick J
Old 04-10-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by irocznformula
if anything you just confused things a little more because my 91 came with a factory 5.7 and aluminum drum rear. all original never been changed. i even had the code sheet to prove it.

later,
Nick J
exactly
Old 04-10-2003, 08:55 PM

The J65 option is completely independent of what engine is in the car. You could order a 2.8 V6 with 4-wheel discs, or get a 350 with a drum rear. AFAIK the only other option that automatically includes 4-wheel discs is the 1LE/WS6 suspension option.