3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Can a Carbed 84 305 H.O be a 14 sec ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 09:09 PM

Thumbs up Can a Carbed 84 305 H.O be a 14 sec ride

what are some mods i could do to make a carbed 305 trans am be a maybe mid to low 14 second ride.i would just like to be one of the fastest cars at my high school.its a pretty cool and good looking car/its kinda rare too i have what it looks like(and specs) below

http://www.geocities.com/ramairta2002/15than.htm
Old 07-13-2002, 09:43 PM

Anything is possible with NAAAAAWWWWSSSS!

Well, almost anything.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:13 PM

If it really is a HO motor with a 5 speed, and it's in decent tune, all you need is a set of headers and a cat-back. They ran 15.0-15.3 stock. Underrated at only 190HP.

------------------
1985 Z28, Jasper Class 1 350, Edelbrock Performer intake, Dual snorkel air cleaner, K&N filter, Edelbrock headers, Catco cat, Hooker cat-back, built 700r4 w/ Darrell Young 2400 stall TC, Jet stage 2 chip, SSM subframes, Lakewood LCA's, Powertrax locker w/stock 3.23's, Centerline Auto Drag's
Old 07-14-2002, 01:45 AM

These are very good motors and can easily see 14's. Its not that they were under rated at all. 190 hp is about right. Its just the stroke on these motors. Nothing to brag about really. But with some more mods, ie intake, cam, headers, and so forth, you should have a fast ride. Don't forget the suspension though. A fast ride will do you no good if you can't get that power to the ground. Invest in some subframe connectors, control arms, a strut bar and some drag radials. Good luck man, let us know how it goes!

Will

------------------
'86 Z-28 305 c.i. LG4
Rochester QuadraJet 4bbl
Flowmaster 80 series Chrome Tips
Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner
K&N Filter
Michellin P215/65/R15 X-Radial Plus
Lots of Mods on the way
Pioneer 4"x6" dash
Pioneer 6"x9" rear
Alpine 8" Type S in bandpass box
Alpine Amp 300x1 bridged
Sony 4000X- x-Plode Deck 50w x4

Soon to be sporting Hooker SuperComp Shorties, CompCam Xtreme 256H, Edelbrock Performer EGR, World Sr Torquer 305's, DynoMax Super Converter, and American Thunder 3" Cat-Back !!!

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/stanghunter211
Old 07-14-2002, 02:05 AM

Unhappy

my car went 14.6 with just a edelbrock 1406 carb and a performer intake......i also had the 3.27s instead of the 3.73s it came with cuz i sorta grenaded it

my car was a 305ho/5spd car....they can be made to rape alot of 5.0 stangs...:P
Old 07-15-2002, 12:13 AM

Lightbulb

You know, for the amount of weight that can be thrown out of these F-bodies, I'm surprised this doesn't get mentioned often enough when people want better times. Get lighter body pieces!!! A pin-on fiberglass hood, fiberglass fenders, battery relocation to the trunk, balanced lightweight driveshaft, etc etc are all some serious boosts to your ETs and ego. Those damn steel hoods must weigh 150 lbs. Get rid of the weight, then get the suspension correct (SFCs are practically a must with F-bodies), and you'll be tearing up all kinds of imports, ponies, and perhaps a local busy-body that thinks they can own you with a turbo Neon R/T. HA!!

------------------
1984 Camaro Coupe LG4 V8 (5.0L 305ci)
  • 700R4 Transmission
  • K&N Filtercharger
Old 07-15-2002, 11:40 PM

Spoken like a true camaro owner!!!

I will be doing my suspension work first. I have plans for a really nice 350, but it will do me no good if I drop the motor in and the new torque twists the frame before I can even get it to the track. SFC's are the #1 one thing I think if you are gonna add some serious torque. And check the other posts, guys post the same sorta questions daily! Good luck!

Will

------------------
'86 Z-28 305 c.i. LG4
Rochester QuadraJet 4bbl
Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner
K&N Filter
Lots of Mods on the way
Pioneer 4"x6" dash
Pioneer 6"x9" rear
Alpine Amp 300x1 bridged

Soon to be sporting Hooker SuperComp Shorties, CompCam Xtreme 256H, Edelbrock Performer EGR, World Sr Torquer 305's, DynoMax Super Converter, and American Thunder 3" Cat-Back !!!

Old 07-16-2002, 11:21 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by CaysE:
You know, for the amount of weight that can be thrown out of these F-bodies, I'm surprised this doesn't get mentioned often enough when people want better times. Get lighter body pieces!!! A pin-on fiberglass hood, fiberglass fenders, battery relocation to the trunk, balanced lightweight driveshaft, etc etc are all some serious boosts to your ETs and ego. Those damn steel hoods must weigh 150 lbs. Get rid of the weight, then get the suspension correct (SFCs are practically a must with F-bodies), and you'll be tearing up all kinds of imports, ponies, and perhaps a local busy-body that thinks they can own you with a turbo Neon R/T. HA!!

</font>
I wouldn't recommend fiberglass fenders. I picked up a steel fender a couple of days ago and am glad I bought one of them instead of a fiberglass piece. I wouldn't be surprised if the glass weighed more.

Also, driveshafts are expensive, for the amount of weight save.

I also wouldn't get a pin on hood. Get a bolt-on hood. It is much easier to pull the hood latch, walk around and pull up the hood do your thing and shut it. I weighed my hood a few months ago and it weighed either 70lbs or 80lbs-can't remember for sure. I weighed my fiberglass 3" cowl hood and it weighed 48lbs. It is a bolt on.

I do agree with the battery relocation although I still haven't done it yet.

------------------
Pix of my rides!
Finally have some pictures of Y2k Vette wheels, motor, etc.

*1991 Camaro RS !LO3
8.65@84.3mph NA
*1988 Mustang 5.0 7.92@87 NA- For Sale
*1988 Mustang GT 'vert
9.56@73-bone stock
*1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R 7.30@100mph
*1987 Honda CRX Si 16.5@85mph-stock

100% American!
Old 07-16-2002, 02:04 PM

If you have power-everything seats ditch them for some manual ones. How much weight can you save? How about almost 100 lbs for the pair! BTW- 4th gen seats bolt right in.

The rear spoiler on 3rd gen Trans Ams weighs a TON. Camaros, fortunately, it's not heavy at all.

A fiberglass hood is a small savings. My 78 Malibu had a ~50 lb stock hood. A bolt on fiberglass one is about 20.

If you don't need the A/C you can ditch the compressor and the condenser to the tune of about 35-40 lbs.

Aluminum water pump will save 7. Another 8-9 with a high-torque mini-starter. But now you're down to the small-difference kinda items.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:44 PM

Honestly, I haven't looked into different hoods, yet; I've been busy with getting this used car stable for the next 10k miles so I can start modding. So if bolt-on is the answer, so be it!

The driveshaft I think is a good purchase, because not only does it drop a decent amount of weight off the car, most stock driveshafts will vibrate terribly at high speeds. It's expensive, yes, but worth it in my opinion.

Will: do you know where I can get a dual snorkel air cleaner?? I'm itching for one.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:00 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Damon:
If you have power-everything seats ditch them for some manual ones. How much weight can you save? How about almost 100 lbs for the pair! BTW- 4th gen seats bolt right in.

The rear spoiler on 3rd gen Trans Ams weighs a TON. Camaros, fortunately, it's not heavy at all.

A fiberglass hood is a small savings. My 78 Malibu had a ~50 lb stock hood. A bolt on fiberglass one is about 20.

If you don't need the A/C you can ditch the compressor and the condenser to the tune of about 35-40 lbs.

Aluminum water pump will save 7. Another 8-9 with a high-torque mini-starter. But now you're down to the small-difference kinda items.
</font>
I like the seats idea. Good call. But about the hoods... I don't know about a 78, but the 83 Malibu hoods are WAY smaller than 3rd gen Camaro hoods. The 2 gas supports on my hood are currently non-functional, and that hood weighs a hell of a lot! If a bolt-on ends up weighing 20lbs, I'm gonna dropping pounds by the dollar. Way too good to pass up!
Old 07-17-2002, 12:46 AM

CaysE!!! Whats up bro! I will tell you exactly where I got my dual snorkel. I got it froma guy I know IROCZDAVE! He runs a nice little website where he offers quality used parts from 3rd gens. I got just the snorkel and the lid, but he recently posted the entire kit, hoses and all, for a very nice price. Anyway, I will forward you his website here

http://members.***.net/iroczdave1/

Tell him Will sent you. Hes so great to deal with. I have purchased the snorkel and a full set of mint interior plastic for my Z. Anyway, best of luck. To my knowledge, the one he had, the kit I mean, is pending sale. But he gets these things quite regularly. I have seen him go through 4 in the last year. Lemme know how it goes man. And send me some more info on your ride. Im interested to know more about it.

I just got into a deal to pick up a set of tan leather seats for my ride, 4th gen. I am hoping that they will save a little weight over the heavier 3rd gen seats and look better in the process. Well anyway, keep in touch bro!

Will

------------------
'86 Z-28 305 c.i. LG4
Rochester QuadraJet 4bbl
Dual Snorkel Air Cleaner
K&N Filter
Lots of Mods on the way
Pioneer 4"x6" dash
Pioneer 6"x9" rear
Alpine Amp 300x1 bridged

Old 07-17-2002, 12:54 AM

Hey CaysE, looks like I was wrong. Go take your pick. Hes got the complete kit or just the snorkel/lid. But if I were you I would go with the kit, it won't last. This one looks even better than the one I got Go figure! Well, good luck man!

Will
Old 07-17-2002, 06:59 AM

if you look for 82-83 cars...some had fiberglass hoods....the lg4 and cfi cars had them

i have a hood off a 83 cfi car...its lite
Old 07-17-2002, 09:17 AM

your bolt-on hood is 48lbs? My harwood weighs next to nothing. My stock one is almost impossible for me to move around on my own, but I can carry my harwood around the garage 1-handed.

------------------
The IROC Homepage
View the Restoration of an 85 IROC
Weekend projects aren't.

Quick Reply: Can a Carbed 84 305 H.O be a 14 sec ride