3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related
View Poll Results: Carb or EFI
Go carbed and save a few bux.
24.14%
Stick with the EFI, pinch my pennies and go in the original direction.
75.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

To carb or not to carb....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:08 PM

Re: To carb or not to carb....

Originally Posted by FULLSLP1
the reason drag racers use carbs is for simplicity not because they are superior..
I came into this late and haven't read the whole thing but this is far from the truth
Old 02-19-2006, 09:41 PM

S10ER8 read the whole thread before you reply

and pickup any car book /mag from the 50s 60s where they tested 4 wheel drum brakes from at speed until stopped in feet and compare them to any comparable car from 85 and up with 4 wheel disc --and then shut the hell up
Old 02-20-2006, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by FULLSLP1
and pickup any car book /mag from the 50s 60s where they tested 4 wheel drum brakes from at speed until stopped in feet and compare them to any comparable car from 85 and up with 4 wheel disc --and then shut the hell up
boy you dont make any sense
Old 02-22-2006, 01:25 AM

who ever said anything about the ability of disc/disc or disc/drum to stop a car? I said that drum brakes have more stopping pwer. But when you factor in brake fade a disc/disc brake system will stop a car better.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by damien8618
is it seems to me that the fi cars are usually more stock then the carb cars. I don't think I've ever seen a bare bones efi race car, but I'm shure theres got to be one out there.
Good point(s)
Old 02-27-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 96m6lt1
carbs belong in museums with the rest of the dinosours!
Haha, thats what I always say. I hate those things.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:03 PM

Since I've been in engine class I'm beginning to realize why so many racers use carbs. You can modify and make trick power so much more then a efi car. The guys that are in hi-po right now are dynoing cars and when they pull a efi in they just see how much power it makes but with the carb cars they can tune and squeeze all the power out of them. I know you efi guys have chips but they're premade, with carbs you can customize everything for your application.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:11 PM

Since I've been in engine class I'm beginning to realize why so many racers use carbs. You can modify and make trick power so much more then a efi car. The guys that are in hi-po right now are dynoing cars and when they pull a efi in they just see how much power it makes but with the carb cars they can tune and squeeze all the power out of them. I know you efi guys have chips but they're premade, with carbs you can customize everything for your application.
Ever heard of LS1edit? You can plug your laptop right into the car and tune it on the dyno. It is extremely accurate and will adjust to atmposperic pressure. Carbs will need to be tuned with different atmospheric conditions. Modern EFI is better than carbs, period.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:38 AM

Is it worth it to spend thousands of dollars on a efi system then buy a thousand dollar laptop and buy the program, have a blownup spaghetti factory under the hood full of unreliable sensors when you can buy a 500 dollar carb and tune it with a few wrenches and a screw driver and make the same power and tourqe?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:38 AM

I've had a laptop for 4 years, and my car came with EFI. So that is 0$ invested.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:48 PM

your profile said you have a holley stealth ram, thats not factory. Anyway I realized something today this whole debate about carbs vs fi is like automatic trannys vs manual trannys. Automatic being fi and carbs being manual. Looking at both you would say the automatic is far superior but there are some things you cant control. Like in fi its a superior design theory but there are some things you cant manualy control such as ignition timing as an example. In fi the comp controls the timing and in carbs you can set it to do exactly what you want when you want it, But in both systems you can get the same timing and timing curve. What I'm saying is neither system is superior just different and people decide whats best for thei application. Some racers like the peace of mind knowing exactly wants going to happen because they manualy set it while others feel ok to rely on the comp. In the end racing comes down to the small things like having confidence in their cars. Like if a racer inspects his own car before he races he might push it farther and run faster then someone who had someone else inspect it.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:19 PM

I bought my car from a guy that put the HSR on there. It uses the stock TPI computer anyway, so it is simply a manifold swap. The 2 big advantages to EFI are:

1. More compatible with forced induction

2. EFI makes it easier to run 11:1 or more on pump gas

You can't argue these facts, anyone in the industry knows this to be true.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:11 AM

ok but I can give you some advantages of carbs over fi
1. gives the racer peace of mind
2. more adjustable
3. easialy adapted to run alcohol
4. easier to adjust
5. saves weight
6. saves space
7.self contained
8. rarely, if ever, gives you problems
9. cheaper
10. non electronic, most breakdowns in cars are electrical problems
11. easier to work on
12.basicly universal meaning swaps are easy
13. easy and cheap to tune and modify for full out racing
ect. ect. ect.
What I'm saying is that there are advantages and disavantages in both systems
Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 AM

ok but I can give you some advantages of carbs over fi
1. gives the racer peace of mind
2. more adjustable
3. easialy adapted to run alcohol
4. easier to adjust
5. saves weight
6. saves space
7.self contained
8. rarely, if ever, gives you problems
9. cheaper
10. non electronic, most breakdowns in cars are electrical problems
11. easier to work on
12.basicly universal meaning swaps are easy
13. easy and cheap to tune and modify for full out racing
ect. ect. ect.
What I'm saying is that there are advantages and disavantages in both systems
I actually found myself agreeing with most of what was said in the post before this one. This post highlited is incorrect IMO. Now I have had both carbs/EFI etc just to make this known, and i am actually doing a stout carbed setup now.
1.gives the racer peace of mind...Not really, i suppose it could give piece of mind to someone that doesn't know anything about EFI/tuning, ease of use, and how accurate todays computers are. It really should let them know how much easier it is for them to make a mistake while tuning.
2.more adjustable..Certainly NOT.
3.easialy adapted to run alcohol...EFI is also readily/easily adapted to alcohol, and just like with a carb, lots of stuff needs to be changed.
4.easier to adjust...Once again, an idea of theory and personal preference, most people that don't understand EFI would say this. I personally think its pretty easy to break out the cable and the laptop/datalog/tuning, and with these items its not necessary to spend all day at the track or dyno to tune the car for weather/track conditions, etc
5. saves weight...some, not that much. If we are comparing an aftermarket carb/manifold setup to a stock EFI setup, then Yes it does. However if we were to compare an aftermarket EFI manifold...say a EFI super Vic, and 4 barrel TB....the difference would be a great deal smaller, within 10-15lbs or less. That "blown up spaghetti" reference shows how close minded you are, and how you are reaching for BS reasons to justify your concept. Aftermarket EFI harness' are light, and very simple, not a whole lot of extra BS wires like a factory setup.
6.saves space..Really, i don't believe the space saved would be worth quantifying on aftermarket setup.
7.self contained...huh?
8.rarely, if ever, gives you problems....Obviously you haven't dealt with many carbs then, and when you do you will find out that this is not always the case.
9.cheaper...i suppose you could say that.
10.non electronic, most breakdowns in cars are electrical problems...Umm, yeah for old cars thats true, and OEM stuff. Once again lets do apples to apples comparison, aftermarkets setups are VERY reliable.
11.easier to work on...Refer back to example #4.
12.basicly universal meaning swaps are easy...probably the best example you have given.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:14 AM

This guy must have Time Warped from the 1970's. Dude, do you wear Bell Bottoms and still use a Slide Rule too! Because Slide Rules are Non-Electronic and SOOOOOOOOO Much more Reliable...

Quick Reply: To carb or not to carb....