3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Carburation Blues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 02:06 AM

Post Carburation Blues...

Well, in the latest events of the 87 camaro, my carb, or something is ****ed. I was leaving a friends house tonight, and i let my friend drive. Well, he revved it up high once, and shortly after, the car died. it seemed to be flooding out, as he had to hold his foot to the floor for it to even start. Well, it started again, and died again. this time it wouldnt even turn over. We pushed it into the grass and walked back down the street to his house. we got in his mustang (yes he has a ford >=( ), and drove back down to my car, which started and drove alright, until i went around a sharp curve near his place, and it died again. Once more, i had to hold my foot to the floor. We got it back to his driveway, and tried to figure out what was going on. upon turning the key off, we realized that the carb (Demon 625 cfm)was still getting fuel, even thos tho the key was off and the pedal wasnt being pushed. Well, we didnt know what the **** was up, so i told him to follow me home to make sure i got there. On the way back, the car drove like ****, real sluggish, and wouldnt shift well at all. When i got home, i popped the hood, and saw that it was still gettin fuel pumped into it continuously. It was even running out from a vacuum line when i pulled it off. So, i disconnected the positive cable, cause im not sure if it has an electric fuel pump or wat. Anyways, I wish the stupid bastard i bought this car from had left the TPI on the 305 instead of switching it over. Anyone Know what the hell's going on? Also, i had my kick-down switch (i guess thats what its called) adjusted yesterday.....would that have ****ed it up? Please help.....ive spent enough money on this already.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:22 AM

Your car, if it was an 87 TPI car originally, does have an in-tank electric pump.

It's not supposed to run when the key is turned off, obviously, though. I'm guessing shot fuel pump relay that's sticking in the "on" position. There are several relays on the firewall next to the power brake booster, one is your fuel pump relay.

Also, a TPI fuel pump will supply WAY too much fuel pressure for running a carb. Many have used the Mallory fuel pressure regulator to bring the TPI pump's 50 PSI down to a carb-friendly 6-7 PSI. But if your car ran well before and suddenly got much worse, it's less likely this is your problem.

Find out why the pump is still running and fix it.