3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

chips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 10:23 PM

Thumbs up chips?

Do any of you guys have one of those Jet Chips in or anything similar. Nothing 3 g's but those 150-300 chips that are supposed to give you an extra 17 pony's. I just want to know if it will do anything for my 92 Z28. Thanks for answereing all my questions and helping me maintain American Pride against these Ricers.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:46 PM

Lightbulb

Check out Fastchips by Ed Wright he has a real good name with some of the third gen people.I have one in my 91 and like it.I think it ran me $175.

------------------
91 Z-28 305 H.O. 210 RWHP
crane hi-6,holley reg,air foil,3:73 richmonds,Ed Wright stage 2 chip,msd wires,SLP headers,best e.t 14.4@99.02mph

95 S-10 Blazer 4.3l A4 W/230,000 original miles.Never been touched but getting tired.Still likes to do burnouts!!!!
Old 07-19-2002, 12:49 AM

I just burned my first chip today The whole setup costs roughly $150 for the Programmer, $40 for the UV light eraser, and a few bucks here and there for the little things. I burned the ARAP.bin to my eprom. Woke the car up a lot but there is still MUCH more to gain.

I'll tell you right now. You will not gain 17 hp with one of those chips you buy from HyperTech or whatever. They have allegedly only changed 12 bits of data and sell them for a few hunderd dollars. Not a good price in my book since I can burn chips indefinitely now

Want more info? Just ask, I seem to be one of the few that are experimenting with PROM tuning on this board.
Old 07-19-2002, 12:21 PM
Banned

Bottom line is if you want to get a chip, spend the money to get a custom chip. The off-shelf ones are just as good as you taking your money and dumping it down the toilet and flushing. Been there, done that and what not.

I went to Lingenfelter's shop and left it there. They welded a second O2 bung so they could get readings and tune the chip. That is a "live" system tune and drivability improved all throughout the car because they fixed it for all conditions. Another good one is www.hitechmotorsports.com where they guy is good.

Since I don't want to drive down there and leave it there and come back again, I do it thru www.fasterproms.com where they burn it to your specs and have you take readings with the Diacom software to dial it in. They are $500 to buy into the program and $150 for each burn after you are happy with the product.

True, if you make major mods every week, it will run it broke. (Camshaft & Head, Displacement changes, Different injectors, etc) You need to ask yourself this: "How often do you need to make changes once you have it dialed in just right". I got mine dialed in right and have not seen it necessary to do any other mods.

Sure it is around $200 for the equipment. How much for good software to monitor the car so you can make adjustments? How much for the experience to know that a change in one direction can affect another? I have helped people remove engines that they have blown up and the last one was with a DFI setup which is bacisally a "Chip on the fly" thing.

IMO, unless you have some need to keep modifying your chip (besides the fact you have not got it right) I'd go have someone do it just so it is right and that if they blow it, they bought it.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:07 PM

All you need is a cheapo laptop. TEH program is free that goes into the laptop. And all you have to do is make a cable to connect the ALDL to the Laptop for about $30 or you can buy one for $95. And you can monitor your motor.

------------------
I WOULD RATHER PUSH A CAMARO THAN DRIVE AN IMPORT

1983Z28
Superramed roller 406 10.5 compression, AFR 195's and custom cam.

future mods:
N20 waiting to be installed

Wifes new car:

1995 Z28
AT, leather, T-tops bone stock for now. 250 RWHP 300 RWT 14.0 @ 99 MPH on a 2.2 60'

future mods:
header to tailpipe replacement and a cold air intake. Then I am just going to leave it alone (maybe)
Old 07-20-2002, 03:32 AM

and where can you find this "free" program???

also, would anyone know where to get a cable as i would have no idea on how to build one.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:14 AM

craig moates free software is avalible on his site. go to the diy prom board on www.thirdgen.org for all the info. for the cable you can buy one through andrew mattei, do a search for akm cables on here and it will come up with his web site.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:25 PM
Banned

The equipment is cheap. Where do you buy the knowledge of what to modify and what the effects are. I had knocking at 3-4K rpm. Do you add fuel and how much or do you take timing out and how much or do you do both and how much? You could say that head porting is easy too. Just a couple of grinders and away you go. Why pay a professional to port them? Some stuff I'll DIY but others I am freely willing to admit are way out of my league. After a few years, you will get the hang of it and be able to do it off the top of your head but is it worth the expense of time and possibly money seeing as how you may only need to burn it once ever few years. I know personally of someone who used DFI and kept mucking with it till it got better and better. 6 months after helping him put in a new engine, we were doing it again. He thought it was simple. Just read the book and away you go too. I'd do it if I knew of someone who would be able to look over my program to take care of any mistakes I made but posing some questions on a board and fixing it based on that is a little too chancy for my taste.
Old 07-20-2002, 04:31 PM

Craig Moates software will tell you when it is detecting knock. so then what you do is pull a little timing at that RPM. How much you ask? you do a couple degrees. IF it goes away then you are good. If not you pull more.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you want the most power and most fuel economy out of the motor, You have to do it yourself.

You guys against doing it yourself would you send your carb to these guys and tell them to tune the carb for your motor? I know it is a litte more involved but that is the same idea behind doing it yourself.

------------------

1983Z28

future mods:

Wifes new car:

1995 Z28
AT, leather, T-tops bone stock for now. 250 RWHP 300 RWT 14.0 @ 99 MPH on a 2.2 60'

future mods:
header to tailpipe replacement and a cold air intake. Then I am just going to leave it alone (maybe)
Old 07-20-2002, 07:46 PM
Banned

Not the same as sending the carb out to be tuned. You get the ECM in the approx location and fine tune it either with a dyno or based off the engine readings. If you are talking of LPE, fasterproms or hitechmotorsport, that is how they do it. Not sure how others do it. Taking a chip off the shelf, I'd agree with you. Those are people with experience and knowledge of how to maximize the performance. I have yet to find someone who would be arrogant enough to claim that they are better than the professionals and seen them back it up. I have personally experienced their product and seen how it makes my engine work much better without sacrificing the longevity of the motor. The basics are easy enough but lets take GM for instance, it wasn't one of us on this board that came out with their program in a couple of weekends, was it?
Old 07-20-2002, 09:48 PM

Well this program wasn't designed in a couple of weekends. TPI came out in 1985 and people have been modding it since. ALot of those guys on www.thirdgen.org have been PROM burning for 10+ years easily.

I know it is overwhelming to even think of. I wish you were local because I would show it all the programs to you and show you how it works but we are not.

------------------

1983Z28

future mods:

Wifes new car:

1995 Z28

future mods:
Old 07-21-2002, 02:45 AM

Guys as long as you have a laptop, you are set. I know I have the link somewhere to the free software but I can't find it, been partying a little too hard tonight.

Jeff, You asked where to get the cable. I made mine for roughly $60 in parts. I used the best stuff I could find such as the Auto X-Ray ALDL plug/cable so I didn't have to "engineer" a way to connect my cable to the ALDL port.

Email me if you want specific details. If my cable turns out to work flawless I will offer my services to build one for anyone who wants one. I will barely charge any labor fees, as I found it relatively simple to build one of these. (But then again, My Grampa was helping me, he is an electronics engineer, and he has invented a lot of the things this country uses every day. The homeing device was somthing he and his father were experimenting with in WWII, for example.)

Tomorrow, (Sunday) I will try to find where I misplaced the links to the free software and hardware and post them.

Later
-Brad