3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Cleaning up the Engine Bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:04 PM

Cleaning up the Engine Bay

I am trying to clean up the engine bay, I am having a electromotive engine management system and trying to figure out what all I can move and or get rid of. Has anyone done this? Can I see some pictures, I've heard that you could make alot of wires longer and hide relays and behind the dash. What has anyone done? I am keeping a/c and everything that has to do with EFI well kind of I am able to get rid of alot of wires cause of the simplistic wiring harness for the Electromotive engine Management. Like to hear about some things I can move and also some pics if anyone has any with cleaned up engine bays. If you swiched to Carb I guess I could use some of those but EFI cars would give a better idea.

Thanks to everyone
Old 10-02-2003, 09:05 PM

if it isnt broke dont fix it.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:56 PM

If I took that advice I would still be driving around in a 15 second car instead of a 11 second car.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:10 PM

true that. Okay well first of all could we get some pics? then at least we know what were dealing with. Do you still have the emissions stuff like smog pump on? because if you dont have e-testing you can get rid of all that
Old 10-03-2003, 04:12 AM

If anyone feels like hosting a picture for me I will post my never before seen ( except for Darth Iroc) pictures of my engine bay completley cleaned and trimmed.

I am running a DFI system and could give you a good Idea of how much cleaner it actually looks with out all the bull **** in the way.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:47 AM

All of the Smog stuff is gone, K-Member, Tubular A-Arms, Keeping Washer fluid bottle, and A/C Probably getting a new system thou, Procharger offers new compressors or I will go through vintage, unless someone knows a resonable priced place to look for them..

http://www.ntimad8.cz28.com/photo.html

All photos grossly out of date, need to be updated soon. just haven't had the time this summer. but that is pretty much what I am working with only there is a motor in there and headers but I am pulling that in a week or so again to get the car painted this winter.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:26 AM

Does nobody have pictures of their engine bay gutted out? A few of you had said you did..
Old 10-04-2003, 08:05 PM

I will send you a picture in a bit.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:34 AM

If you email it to me I can put it up on my Webpage.. for everyone else to see...
Old 10-07-2003, 02:17 AM

I sent ther pic a while a go and have not heard any response, did you recieve it?
Is that what you were looking for?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:44 AM

I have uploaded your pic brownyellow to my website and I am including a link. http://ntimad8.cz28.com/photo.html. Brownyellow maybe you could talk about the photo and what you see in it.. What all did you take off to paint the engine bay? Where did you relocate the fuel relays too? Have you still yet to install your master cylinder? Where did you route your headlight wiring harness? Everything looks great, just some claification and a finished pic would be great!!!

Thanks,

And if anyone else has somephoto's of their gutted/cleaned up engine bay please email them to me or post their location..

Thanks
Old 10-07-2003, 02:17 PM

All the relays such as fuel pump and the ESC module that are located drivers firewall have been removed because of the DFI system and it's control of those functions.
The DFI harness still has a pump and fan relay but I mounted them under my heater box almost out of sight.

The master cylinder and brake booster are not installed yet in the picture, nor is the steering shaft.

The headlight harness is routed in the stock location along the inner frame rail. I re-wire loomed everything that was part of the stock chassis harness so it does not affect the cleanliness to have a couple of looms running neatly in places.

The main thing that gives a cleaner look is the routing of the main harness. I exited through the stock in fender location and kept the harness below the heater box. In that picture things are kind of a mess and some wires are out of place, but all injectors and sensors and stuff are actually hooked up.

When painting the engine bay it was completely stripped. I will try to get a finished picture for you sometime soon.