3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 12:32 AM

Exclamation Crank Pulley

I am thinking of some minor mods I can still perform without going broke. I would like to know if the underdrive crank pulley is worth the time and money. How much more e.t. improvement and power gains. What about 1.6 rr and new springs.
Old 12-07-2002, 01:15 PM

first things first. i would change spark plugs. even if you just changed them you got the wrong ones. i would switch to AC Delco plugs. they have been proven time and again to be better than the bosch plugs. especially the platinums. the plugs you have now will not produce the kind of spark needed for hp, they will last a long time but will not necessarily make your engine run better. its known fact that platinum is not a good conductor of electricty so the car isnt getting as good a spark as it should. i would reccomend switch to AC Delco Rapid Fires. i have them and they run great!

next as far as the pulley goes, i would go with the kit. get the crank and alternator pulley. BUT MAKE SURE TO GET THE POWER AND AMP SERIES! i cannot stress that enough. if you get the other set, you will lose some charging capabilities because of the alt. pulley. they power and amp series has been designed to maintain the correct power output. i have a set on order from a local speed shop but they have never come in. later on when i get some things repaired im going to order them from jegs.

next i would suggest taking a trip to the local hardware store. pick up some piping and make yourself a cold air intake. that k&n is not doing you or me for that matter anything good. they are just sucking up the hot air from behind the radiator. make that CAI and gain maybe 10 hp or more.

also i would suggest messing with the timing and fuel pressure.. to do the fuel pressure you will need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. AFPR for short. people have gained as much as 15-20 hp from these 2 mods alone.

do a search over at www.thirdgen.org for all these things. they should be able to give you more info about them...
Old 12-08-2002, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by 87camracer
its known fact that platinum is not a good conductor of electricty so the car isnt getting as good a spark as it should. i would reccomend switch to AC Delco Rapid Fires.
That dosent make any sense, The AC Delco Rapid Fire plugs use platinum in their plugs as well. Bosch and its 4 elctrode tip does nothing for performance wise. With GM cars just stick with a regular GM AC Delco copper plug. As for your crank ? Cant help you there since i've never owned an aftermarket pulley.
Old 12-08-2002, 03:51 PM

I put the march crank and alt. pulley on my 305 and I liked it. I also put a cutout on at the same time and between the two I liked the gain. Your stock pulley is huge! So it's well worth the time to pull it out.