3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Crazy Go Nuts University

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 05:32 PM

Post Crazy Go Nuts University

Ok, guys... THE MOD BUG HAS BIT!!!! Next summer I'm going to dump about 2000 into my car after i spend 500 for minor audio upgrades and a little interior restoration. Aside from the audio, everything with exception of a medeokre new muffler is stock and very pretty ( : BUT NOT FAST ENOUGH! Take my 2200 bucks and beef up my 87 305 TPI pleeeease ! All suggestion welcome, but remember... 2700 is all you get!
Old 08-11-2003, 05:36 PM

o yah, i forgot to mention how ebay usually assists in MANY of my car projects
Old 08-11-2003, 05:40 PM

Let me get this straight you have 3k to spend ,right?
Old 08-11-2003, 06:14 PM

cam,heads,and holley stealth ram...w/ any leftover money going towards heddman headers
Old 08-11-2003, 09:53 PM

Subframe connectors.....$250 installed. They really are a "must have."

Exhaust - Hedman shorties and Y-pipe, no cat, 3" piping, 3" single-in/single-out 3 chamber Flowmaster.....$500-700 depending on what kind of deal you get on headers and whether or not the exhaust shop rips you off.

Vortec heads and SDPC Vortec TPI base.....roughly $1250 with install supplies and machine work and what not. Port your plenum and runners while they're off.

Cam.....call Crane and tell them what other parts you have. They'll reccommend a good cam. $200 give or take.

If you have anything left over, save it for tires.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by TheGreatJ
Subframe connectors.....$250 installed. They really are a "must have."

Exhaust - Hedman shorties and Y-pipe, no cat, 3" piping, 3" single-in/single-out 3 chamber Flowmaster.....$500-700 depending on what kind of deal you get on headers and whether or not the exhaust shop rips you off.

Vortec heads and SDPC Vortec TPI base.....roughly $1250 with install supplies and machine work and what not. Port your plenum and runners while they're off.

Cam.....call Crane and tell them what other parts you have. They'll reccommend a good cam. $200 give or take.

If you have anything left over, save it for tires.
If you follow this mans advice blindly then you will end up better off then receiving the opinions of hundreds of people and coming to your own conclusions. Take this post....put it in a word document....print 500 copies of it....and put it everywhere around your house.....dont take them down until youve done everything hes said.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I knew you'd be a great help. The rookie has a couple questions for the higher authorities though First, why the 3" Single in/Single out flowmaster? Would i be sacrificing any tremendous power loss if I went with a Single in/Dual out setup from Flowmaster? I have to keep that look. Second (time to let out the newbieness), where would I take my plenum and runners to get ported? Second.5, How much should they port them? Third: I'm getting some new tires this winter, should I stick with the Z rated Dunlop SP 5000's? Are there some other spectacular tires out there that I should be looking at? Fourth, since the tires are already budgeted in, should I get the K & N filters and that goofy looking air box that guy sells on ebay? Fifth (and last, sorry for the mass questions), when I get all this done how much of a power increase should I expect?

thanks again

subframe connectors
Old 08-12-2003, 06:08 PM

what kind of power is that going to put out of the 305
Old 08-12-2003, 07:14 PM

Ok, lets get some of the myths out of the way. By putting these mods on you are not going to suddenly have a Wells Fargo Truck load of power come magically to your fingertips so that you can point and throw wizards fire at every stang and fart-can.
However with the mods that have been suggested you need to realize what they are doing. Imagine for a sec that you are your car. Cover you mouth with your hand. try breathing thru your mouth. Difficult right. Now take your hand away and breath. Amazing what happens right. This is what these mods are going to do for your car. They are going to let it breathe easier. It will increase the amount of power and torque by freeing up the breathing tubes.
The subframe is a excellent idea for handling, and for what little it cost well worth it. Also you might want to look into aftermarket suppension upgrades...ie LCA, larger panhard bar, shock tower stabilizer....Another thing. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't know.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:40 PM

The single-in/single-out flows slightly better and is a bit cheaper. The power loss with a single/dual would be minimal if you prefer that look (I have my tailpipe hidden in the factory style so single/single is perfect for me.)

Don't take your plenum and runners anywhere. Buy a grinder and some bits and do them yourself. It isn't difficult, and there are dozens of tech articles that'll show you what to do and how far to port them. It's a time consuming process...if you paid someone to do them the labor fees would be insane.

I'm not gonna get into the tire debate...everyone likes what they like. The Dunlop's seem to be fairly popular, and you can't go wrong with what you know is good.

Don't buy an airbox. Run a search in this forum on "free ram air" and follow the directions. You can build an efficient cold air induction setup yourself very easily in a couple of hours. K&Ns are definitely worth the money though, they flow a little better and never need replaced.

A 305 with Vortec heads, ported TPI, good exhaust, and a decently matched cam should put out about 300hp/375ftlb at the flywheel. I forgot to mention last night that you'll need some chip tuning to match the heads/cam.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:35 PM

OOhhhh... so you're saying if I put a breathe-rite strip on my... heh, i gotcha. Thx for all the info great J, i gotta be honest about the chip tuning... i know pretty much nothing about it. I know some people have programmers for their vehicle to fine-tune whatever they have to whatever they need. I know there are pre-programmed chips available from hypertech ... but i know nothing about the "stages." Anyone have an idea about where i could get more info on this? or maybe someone could clear the cobwebs from my brain?
Old 08-12-2003, 08:38 PM

You definitely don't want a pre-programmed one from Hypertech or something. There are a couple real good guys and companies that burn chips, do a search.

-Rippin
Old 08-12-2003, 10:01 PM

Rippin is right.....the off-the-shelf chips are basically junk. They do nothing except lower the cooling fan cut-on temperature and bump the timing up a couple degrees.

There's a LOT of information out there on chip burning. Run a search in this forum or go to www.thirdgen.org. They have an entire forum dedicated to burning chips for these cars.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:00 PM

I've ported my plenum, but not my runners. I didn't really see or understand where to port them. They are the stock runners. Could someone advise me on what to port on my runners?
Old 08-13-2003, 06:12 PM

With stock runners you can't do much more than gasket-match the flanges where it bolts to the base and plenum.